www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 1st, 2011, 18:51   #1
CWyler

Fuel Economy: 38 mpg
Default Bridgestone tires with 100,000+ miles

I bought my 93 Jetta with a set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions on it. They probably had 10k miles on them at the time. I have driven the car 100k miles and the tires are finally showing signs they will need changed in another 10k miles. Of course my first thought is to get the same brand again. My research found that Bridgestone rates the tire wear at 40k. Did I get an unusual set that lasted 3 times that amount? What experience do others on this forum have with this tire?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:52   #2
Henrick
Veteran Member

I/you/anyone don't want to run tyres longer than 6 years. Rubber gets too old and looses it's properties.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:24   #3
cfm56
Veteran Member

henrick...i think i would be concerned with the 6 yr rule if the tires have not been used in six years rather then being driven on here in there in that slotted amount of time. TIres that sit for a long time seem to get brittle and tend to crack or come apart quite easily
cfm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:05   #4
plugger
Veteran Member

I did not see where you stated the age, just the mileage. I have gotten some great numbers from truck tires but never anything like that on a passenger tire. I may have to buy a set and see.
plugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:27   #5
Tom W.
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Getta 49MPG IDI 60MPG Passat 34mpg

Tire wear can vary based on how carefully the tires were manufactured, and the mix of materials. Back in 1973 my mom bought some 'new technology' tires- called radials. Mom's Michelins had 80,000 miles on them by the time she sold the car, and they still looked AMAZING- tread was only abt 1/2 worn. Mom's Michelins were manufactured in Germany- which country were your Bridgestones made in? (yes, it's a japanese comapny, but the sidewall will tell you which country and which plant made that tire)

canadiangrizzly's Diagnosing limp mode: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589

GoFaster on loss of power:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75959

Last edited by Tom W.; April 2nd, 2011 at 06:30.
Tom W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:04   #6
SuburbanTDI
Veteran Member

My mom's 05 JW tdi got 120,000 on the factory Continental Contitrac's. Brakes went to around 145,000.

This was almost all moderate speed highway driving, by my mom, in the cooler north.
SuburbanTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:36   #7
Henrick
Veteran Member

I have a set of SUMITOMO HTR 200. They were used all the time and they're only 4 years since the day of manufacture. However, all of them have cracks. I guess it's the last season for them regardless of the thread depth.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:50   #8
Art van Law
Veteran Member

And while we're on the subject of tire longevity, I recently was chastised by the boys which mounted/balanced my new Continental tires. They claimed I should never apply Amorall Original to my tires, just use soapy water to clean them. They claimed the "protectors" degrade the rubber and hasten sidewall cracks.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Art van Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:51   #9
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Have you noticed that type cracking on tires you previously applied that Armorall product on?

Based on what people are told about their TDIs by mechanics who insist they know it all, I'd ask for proof, I think.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:43   #10
Art van Law
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Have you noticed that type cracking on tires you previously applied that Armorall product on?...snip...
Yes, I have. I installed a brand new tire and liberally applied the tire protectant (another one, not Amorall) and within two years the tire was replete w/ cracks. At the time I just chalked that up to inferior product based on country of origin which happened to be Thailand. However now, I am left to wonder if the advice (not to apply these types of solutions) is accurate.

Just wondering what others have experienced using the sidewall solutions which add that satisfying shine, but may in fact be anathema to long tire life.

Art van Law is offline   Reply With Quote