www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 22nd, 2011, 17:56   #61
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.9 TDI Awd View Post
Before i installed my new, i compaired to all the old. my front stock springs are about 1.5" shorter, as well as the VR6 spring has almost three more coils around and a heavier gaguge on the spring. its an obvious gain of spring mass. i did get to excited in the car and frogot to measure my stock and then "Beefed". I love the Whole setup. Taller, stiffer, more comfortable. i will be driving about 800 miles this weekend for Thanksgiving and all. Lets see how high way for extended periods of time goes. been great the little i have done for highway so far.
I didnt understand till i redid the suspension, On Ramps=Awsome. tracks well, pulls well, less wheel hop, WAY more response and cutting is much smoother and reactive, and G's from cornering(Nothing much). Went from Dead, to Killer!
Can we get a pic and a measurement of the top of your wheel arches?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:26   #62
2Wagons

Fuel Economy: 53 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxfire View Post
Hmmm...the first picture showing that the VR6 springs are the same height as stock, was not what I experienced with my first wagon that was fitted with VR6 springs in front. The VR6 springs were at least 1.5 inches taller than the stock springs, I will try to get pictures showing height difference of the springs (stock wagon front spring vs. Moog part no 81134 from rockauto.com)

I left the stock wagon springs on the rear, and went with Bilstein HD's on the rear. I will go with Bilstein TC's on the rear of the wife's wagon, to hopefully mellow out the slightly increased tightness.stiffness of the ride (for her, but I like the ride)
Nice to see another Jetta wagon on the thread. I understand that the Jetta springs will raise a Golf, but I'm a little confused as to what will raise the Jetta wagon. I drive in snow a lot and some gravel roads and going higher by 1 to 1.5 inches all around would be really nice. Am I correct in understanding that the Moog 81134 will raise the front of my wagon the right amount? The Moog 81055 is a Jetta spring I believe, so will it do anything to the rear height on the wagon? If not, any thoughts on what spring might? Thanks!
2Wagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:44   #63
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lowest is 40 sofar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleDeath View Post
Can we get a pic and a measurement of the top of your wheel arches?
Yeah absolutly, I will take the pictures today and figure out how to post them on(fairly simple just need to do it) and I will get all four corners. Im at about a 1/2 tank now too. Practically Empty inside the car, maybe 50lbs of small junk and stuff....going to warm up the camera haha. Ill be back shortly with photos. It should be a pretty accurate "Curb" weight.
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
1.9 TDI Awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:47   #64
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wagons View Post
Nice to see another Jetta wagon on the thread. I understand that the Jetta springs will raise a Golf, but I'm a little confused as to what will raise the Jetta wagon. I drive in snow a lot and some gravel roads and going higher by 1 to 1.5 inches all around would be really nice. Am I correct in understanding that the Moog 81134 will raise the front of my wagon the right amount? The Moog 81055 is a Jetta spring I believe, so will it do anything to the rear height on the wagon? If not, any thoughts on what spring might? Thanks!
Search for DIY lift. Simple sturdy $40 2"rear and front lift diy kit. All from homedepot or ace menards lowes where ever u buy hardware/plumbing supplies. I didnt do it but im still thinking about doing it
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:08   #65
Rxfire
Veteran Member

I will try to insert some photoes comparing stock vs Moog VR6 (81134) springs, as well as lift on Bilstein TC's with 195/65/15 tires. First time to post photos on this site, so apologies if this does not work (I can email you if this does not work)

pictures compare stock wagon springs to the new VR6 springs. I tried to get a level on the base board they sit on, and the ice chest background behind them since it is on a slight slope, and shoot level with the top of the springs. One spring would not stand straight from the fat side down.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...ight-3&cat=500

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...ight-2&cat=500

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...ight-3&cat=500
2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars (hers), homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch (mine), VR6 front springs (hers); 1 inch lift kit w/ESP (mine) 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel, 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel

Last edited by Rxfire; November 26th, 2011 at 10:11.
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:10   #66
Rxfire
Veteran Member

2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars (hers), homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch (mine), VR6 front springs (hers); 1 inch lift kit w/ESP (mine) 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel, 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:14   #67
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

i hope this is how pictures work, all up close on my photobucket. ill post another with direct links of the pictures so i hope they show up right away with out link clicking
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j153/Tremor0502/TDI/

uhh dummy forgot to take a full car picture...back out the car....
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:30   #68
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

also i hate saying quotes with out being exact however i do recall reading on the side of the moog boxes that my new springs came in something about spring height. it was along the lines of...Comparing the new and old coils does not directly indicate the final ride hieght, nor counting the times its wound.
I have pictures on my cell from my suspension job i will try to put on my photobucket account to and then figure how to lace into this here beautifull forum for all to see :-).
Old November 26th, 2011, 13:27   #69
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

out side springs are the old ones, terrible picture but all i could find right now.

Side pic of the car from cell

this is a side view the day after i finished in a drivelane. trying to use what little winter sun i had.

Pic at a local park, same trying to get the sun to show

new vs old on the way in at 11 at night, to tired to have taken a good picture apparently, regreting now...

another late night picture of the difference, still sorry for the low qual
Old November 26th, 2011, 13:45   #70
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Exclamation Pictures of the New Height

Making it work and yah gotta get it tight! ignore the backround, College kids shop...

Now the Actual Measurements...Sorry i just got to Excited to take before pics...
front pass

front driver

Driver rear

Drivers Rear zoomed out

Pass rear

front Pass

Front Pass Zoomed out

front pass

as others would say Yah its dirty, i wasnt gunna wash the Golf to show my "Lifted" refreshed suspension. figured it worked with it haha. Hope this helps any one thats riding the fence. DO IT ITS GREAT! Cant beat the price. Under $500 with Shine RSB and only reused two bolts and two parts off the front suspension to hold the spring on the strut. All done in my single car driveway.

Have Questions? Please Ask, more than happy to explain anything i can! Pm me too.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:03   #71
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Thanks for the pics. That helps.

With my current set up I am 28" front, 29.5" in back. I am going to order springs for the front only and disconnect the front swaybar.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:29   #72
Loaf

This may be a silly question, but will the Moog springs mentioned on page 1 of this thread also fit my mk3 (1998) Jetta? If not, what is a suitable replacement?
Average: 225,667mi
Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:30   #73
deter7

OK just got the MOOG springs and the VR6 struts & shocks mentioned in the 1st post. But before I go and have these installed I suspect that it would also be prudent for me to get some bushing for the lower control arms and sway bars front & back. Any other bushings that I should probably replace? BTW all this is for a 2001 Jetta TDI with 350,000km on it.

Also want to give it a lift more than supplied with the above hardware. I have already replaced 2 oil pans. Are there any other commercial 2" lifts other than metalnerds?

Last edited by deter7; December 9th, 2011 at 05:37.
deter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 17:01   #74
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

i would agree with the control arm bushings. an after thought is the rear axle bushings. wish i knew i needed them before i torn all of it down. owell, ill get to it this summer. mine are worn and i have 160k also due to worn shocks and out of balance wheels from previous owner. i want to say its Black Forest Industry that offers a stiffer option for a rear axle bushing and it was fair priced. i tried finding it to link for you but i couldnt come accross it again. but food for thought. its fairly cheap part, and if its gunna be all torn apart its another couple connections.
hope that helps
Old December 10th, 2011, 17:04   #75
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleDeath View Post
Thanks for the pics. That helps.

With my current set up I am 28" front, 29.5" in back. I am going to order springs for the front only and disconnect the front swaybar.
curiosity has me asking, why remove the sway bar?
more suspension articulation? hope i dont eat my foot guessing