www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old July 16th, 2011, 18:38   #46
Skullbag
Veteran Member

Hey Miketoth, I'm gonna order this blau suspension set for my 2004 PD, you said you went with the 4cyl set? And you thought maybe you should've gone with the VR6 set? Is this with the hopes of lifting your car more? I'm happy with the height my car sits, so I don't want to lift it at all, but I want a nice sporty ride with stiffer handling. I've seen some people say that the 4 cyl kit doesn't take the TDI weight in mind. If you weren't trying to lift your car, but just replace the suspension, would you stick with the 4 cyl kit?
Skullbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 19:10   #47
miketoth1979

Fuel Economy: 32/46/60.5 (towing, avg., best)

I really feel like you would be fine going with EITHER set as long as you don't change your springs like I did. The VR6 kit will probably just be a little bit stiffer, but the overall ride height should really be determined by your springs. You might gain a tiny bit of lift initially...but the shocks/struts will settle in. The car will likely handle much better, etc, but I don't think it will lift up much, if at all.

I just want the VR6 blausport struts (but not the shocks) because I want the front stiffened up just a little, and I want the rear to stay right where it is now.
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock

Last edited by miketoth1979; July 16th, 2011 at 19:13.
miketoth1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 19:41   #48
Skullbag
Veteran Member

Gotcha. Yeah, I emailed blausports and asked them about that, mentioning the weight difference and what some people had said, but they of course said to go with what the catalog recommended.. 4cyl for 4 cyl... The handling is one thing about this car I haven't been happy with.. too mushy.. maybe the Vr6 set would would make for a sportier ride. I used to drive my friends '04 GLI.. the handling was amazing.. but I don't want to get 18" wheels and I'm sure that suspension is out of my budget. Thanks for the thread and the input. I'll check back when I'm done installing.
Skullbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 22:18   #49
legoleg

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55/46/42

Skullbag, have you ordered/installed the Blausports for the VR6? How are they? I'm looking to replace mine right now.
legoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:23   #50
jayb79
Veteran Member

I have the Blausports VR6 set up in my 4 door golf with the VR6 springs in the front and wagon springs in the rear. It is great, but i was looking for lift and ended up putting about 1" of spacer in the front to level things up. The Bluasport kit is the most complete kit i have seen, the only problem i have with it is the blue color.
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:14   #51
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lowest is 40 sofar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb79 View Post
I have the Blausports VR6 set up in my 4 door golf with the VR6 springs in the front and wagon springs in the rear. It is great, but i was looking for lift and ended up putting about 1" of spacer in the front to level things up. The Bluasport kit is the most complete kit i have seen, the only problem i have with it is the blue color.

How long ago did you order the kit? i am looking into getting the kit and i noticed they have a label saying, "Available to Pre-Order. This item will be available to ship in 10/15/11. Please see Pre-Order information" and i really want to get a set. just wondering. i will be contacting them about it. thanks.
I have an Autocross race september 11th i wanted to redo suspesnion for....bummer
1.9 TDI Awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 18:05   #52
jayb79
Veteran Member

ordered 7-15-11 came to nh in less then a week .
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:03   #53
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Hmmm, maybe ill just have to order them and see, even though i am only a few days away from there listed date. do you know it they said pre order stock only when you ordered or did they have them in full stock when you odered?
Old October 15th, 2011, 21:19   #54
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Ordered the VR6 kit at like 11am....2pm they arrived NEXT DAY!! so impressed!! also just ordered the Rock Auto springs as mention in the begining post. used a 5% discount code off google search total with shipping was $98.04... hope i see that tomorrow too haha. well cant wait to Join "Beef Budget Suspension" Club
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:47   #55
dadsdiesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '99 NB TDI

I did mine 4 months ago and am very happy with the results (the Moog springs all around and Bilstein TC's). The only time I really notice it is once a month when we go up into New York on RT219 - absolutely terrible old concrete section of road.

Other than that, I love the handling in the twistys with the setup.
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:41   #56
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

OK, After a rough two seperated weekends...Im Done! hahah to much visiting from family when its nice out i wanted to work on the car, gota love family. well turns out a few hours over a whole weekend will get a Shine Rear Sway Bar drilled and installed, and a Beef Budget Suspension rear end done. Flawless other than limited time to install. Front end however turned into a night mare working into the 40* night with limited light. stopped when the 4pound BFH came out to help with the install. went out sunday morning all ready to work, and things just slid right together with a friends help, a fresh sunday sober mind, clear suny skies.
ALL in all Great kit Highly recomemnded! in love with the new feel. wants to over steer if i really get tweaking on the wheel! VR6 Blauparts kit and the moog springs from the orignial post. PERFECT!
Put Miles on... LOVE the new setup i Highley Recomend it! If your even thinking about it. About $500 and Super Fresh! Drives Like A R32! HAHA
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious

Last edited by 1.9 TDI Awd; November 16th, 2011 at 08:56. Reason: Forgot S**t to say:)
Old November 20th, 2011, 12:47   #57
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
I did mine 4 months ago and am very happy with the results (the Moog springs all around and Bilstein TC's). The only time I really notice it is once a month when we go up into New York on RT219 - absolutely terrible old concrete section of road.

Other than that, I love the handling in the twistys with the setup.
I have TC's on my Golf and when the roads are rough (read: beat up concrete) the ride is horrible. I have read it's the TC's, not the springs.

Can you shoot a pic of your car and post it? And, measure the highest point of the fender arches? I need a reference point....

Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2011, 16:58   #58
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Interesting. Now VW is building what is pretty much a lifted Golf...

and a Polo

Sorry. I know, a little off topic.

Last edited by JungleDeath; November 20th, 2011 at 17:16.
JungleDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:34   #59
Rxfire
Veteran Member

Hmmm...the first picture showing that the VR6 springs are the same height as stock, was not what I experienced with my first wagon that was fitted with VR6 springs in front. The VR6 springs were at least 1.5 inches taller than the stock springs, I will try to get pictures showing height difference of the springs (stock wagon front spring vs. Moog part no 81134 from rockauto.com)

I left the stock wagon springs on the rear, and went with Bilstein HD's on the rear. I will go with Bilstein TC's on the rear of the wife's wagon, to hopefully mellow out the slightly increased tightness.stiffness of the ride (for her, but I like the ride)
2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars (hers), homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch (mine), VR6 front springs (hers); 1 inch lift kit w/ESP (mine) 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel, 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:23   #60
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Before i installed my new, i compaired to all the old. my front stock springs are about 1.5" shorter, as well as the VR6 spring has almost three more coils around and a heavier gaguge on the spring. its an obvious gain of spring mass. i did get to excited in the car and frogot to measure my stock and then "Beefed". I love the Whole setup. Taller, stiffer, more comfortable. i will be driving about 800 miles this weekend for Thanksgiving and all. Lets see how high way for extended periods of time goes. been great the little i have done for highway so far.
I didnt understand till i redid the suspension, On Ramps=Awsome. tracks well, pulls well, less wheel hop, WAY more response and cutting is much smoother and reactive, and G's from cornering(Nothing much). Went from Dead, to Killer!
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious