www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 22nd, 2018, 16:59   #466
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My son's Golf with a 2" lift was not in factory specs for front camber. But it's only slightly out. He's driven the car close to 100K miles and we haven't seen any unusual tire wear.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 20:42   #467
dhangejr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 49 high 44 mix average

I'd like to see a lifted only alignment spec sheet and issues thread.
dhangejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 20:46   #468
Richptl

Fuel Economy: 44 Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
So after reading this thread multiple times, I am at a loss of what to buy. I don't want to use spacers in the front if I can avoid it, so should I dish out the extra money for the Suplex VR6 front springs and the wagon rear springs? Granted the Suplex springs are almost three-times the cost of the "regular" VR6 front springs, but if I can get 1-1/2" without spacers and negatively affecting the alignment geometry, I can figure out the rear final height after the suspension settles, right? Thanks in advance.
I ran a while on the Moog cheap springs until they sagged down, then I got the Suplex. I'm in upstate New York with awful roads. I have the springs and spacers. You can adjust camber a bit with the 3 ball joint bolts.

Rich
Richptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 16:36   #469
jmodge
Veteran Member

I put 2” spacers with high mileage auto springs up front, moog wagon springs and Napa wagon shocks in rear. 1 1/4” rear spacers gave the rear end a slight rake. Shock travel and length were nearly the same as sedan. I believe I extended them 2”. I set the camber with a machinist square and had to slightly egg the ball joint mounting holes in the control arms to reach the spec. Spec was 1/4 degree I think. I haven’t driven it enough to make any claims on wear or settlement. Just found a pair of cheap 215/65/16’s to experiment with to see what it does to my gearing before buying tires and having it aligned. Curious at what speed it will idle in 2nd and 3rd gear. Hopefully some info someone can find useful. Also, when I had a friend spin up the rear spacers, I had him fit those little SS sacrificial spring seats on both ends of the spacers. Hoping that keeps the aluminum spacers from wearing.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:05   #470
RRRon

Just installed the Idparts special. Koni special shocks and Suplex springs.

Haven't driven it yet.

RRRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:08   #471
RRRon

https://www.idparts.com/koni-special...a4-p-5452.html
RRRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 13:04   #472
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Rich, thanks for the info on the MOOG springs; if mine crap out, then I will be buying the Suplex springs to replace them. I was going to order the Suplex spring initially, but after buying all new hardware for the struts and dampers, my budget was shot. The springs I took off had 272k miles on them, so I may have a bit of time left on these MOOG springs.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 22:17   #473
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46/41

Is the purpose of the "Beef on a budget" package to lift your car for hauling/pulling a trailer? Or is it just for improved handling? If any of you have installed the "Beef on a budget" package from ID Parts (the Koni STR.T + Lift Springs Kit - A4 package) then can you please post a side pic of your Jetta sedan after you have drove it a few thousand miles and the springs have settled on it? I don't want to raise my car so much that it looks like a 4x4. I just want to replace my struts, shocks and springs to improve my handling at a price that is affordable. Any input is appreciated.

"
We're all here 'cause we ain't all there!" - Gold Rush

Last edited by RedTDIowner; May 10th, 2018 at 22:23.
RedTDIowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 22:32   #474
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

The taller "wagon" springs in the back, are a big help when towing--which I will do soon--but our oil pans are so close to the ground that any extra clearance is welcome. The handling may only be affected in a slight way as raising the front changes the camber from slightly negative to slightly positive. So if you are a track racer, then raising your car is a bad idea...
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:59   #475
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

These cars tend to have the most grip when the front control arms are parallel to the ground and the car is level, front to rear. Not sure where the beef on a budget springs will put the control arms, but it will raise the rear compared to the front. Shorter rear springs would help optimize handling.
Old May 11th, 2018, 09:04   #476
jmodge
Veteran Member

mine is up 2" and rides and handles nice, camber is adjustable by rotating the ball joint. If you look the slots in the ball joint are not parallel, rotating the ball joint body when the mounting bolts are loose will move the stem forward or backward changing caster. holes in the control arm may have to be enlongated SLIGHTLY to adjust camber. That all being said, I don't run that car hard in corners because it is up high. I did it for backroad and two track driving. Happy with the way it runs down the road though.
Old May 29th, 2018, 22:08   #477
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I do not have the rear springs installed yet, but I did install the rear dampers.After a couple of weeks with the MOOG springs and no spacers in the front, I am at 26-3/4" from the ground to the wheel arch. I do notice the front end is "tighter" but that was to be expected. I neither hear nor feel the cracks in the road any longer and that is the best part of the whole deal.

EDIT: above measurement is wrong, see below.

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; June 25th, 2018 at 22:08.
Old June 25th, 2018, 22:08   #478
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I probably should have said I have multiple thousand miles on the front springs and the height is either different, or I dummied on the tape measure last time. Today's measurement is 27-3/16" from the ground to the wheel well arch.
Old June 25th, 2018, 22:23   #479
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpgs

Anyone interested in a used set of moog springs front and rear along with the spacers for the front? I could sell all for 70 dollars plus shipping.
Old June 28th, 2018, 12:50   #480
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

The purpose of raising the car is NOT for track handling. It is for two track roads, snow, protecting the oil pan and similar.

Due to higher center of gravity the car will have more body roll on a corner. I am not racing my cars so that doesn't bother me. When I have to bust drifts at time to get home from work or get through my driveway or there is a large chunk of ice the just fell off the semi in front of me and it is a two track road due to the snow/ice/slush (going out of the tracks can mean out of control handling) or taking on the chunk of ice - I want to protect as much as I can.

I had nothing on the 05 golf I have for one winter - then put the lift on. MUCH better for winter. I had snow tires each time.

Lastly- I find it much easier to get out of a car if I don't feel like I am sitting on the ground to raise up and out. I have watched my grand parents and parents struggle at times in cars too low. Raising up makes it easier for all (except my 3 year old).

Lastly - I have not noticed uneven tire wear at all. Other then the car that was totaled two times and I brought back into an alignment again.
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote