www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:36   #16
robhegedus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Haha "Saskatchetoon!!" Yup seen it, don't know the guy though!
2002 Golf 5spd: Malone Tuning Stage 3 tune, PP764's, G60/VR6 clutch, CCV mod, Cat/Muffler/Ventectomy, Mcnally Boost/EGT combo gauge, E55 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, Koni STR.T struts, Koni Red shocks, Audi TT LCA bushings
Courtesy of robnitro: "He can make 400 ft lbs easy but at 2 rpm, using the starter"
robhegedus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:31   #17
DSL HED
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a gas engine

Any update on the concerns you had with the front, miketoth? I just picked up a (new to me) 2002 Golf GLS yesterday. 2007xx miles and the trip from NH to Maine showed me how worn the suspension was (especially the rear. Yay for bump stops!)

I've been considering the Moog springs you reference, along with the Blausport VR6 kit and wondering how it might work out.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGR1003-B
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:52   #18
miketoth1979

Fuel Economy: 32/46/60.5 (towing, avg., best)

Yeah, my old bump stops were blown to bits at 123K!

Everything seems to be fine with them. I ended up taking the front strut assembly apart and the mechanic did install everything correctly....so apparently the strut mount gap I mentioned is just normal for these kits. I think the "problem" is purely aesthetic.

I love the MOOGS. The rears settled in a little over the past couple months but the fronts have stayed about the same, which helped mellow out the forward rake a little....but it's still there. The car handles very well now. The ride isn't harsh...and I think that if I could do it again, I'd get the VR6 blausports like you are considering. The regular TDI golf kit I got doesn't really need to be stiffer, but it could be and it wouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that I tow....A LOT (350 miles in the last 2 days alone)...so maybe my idea of a "harsh" ride is different than yours.. If you end up going with this setup, I would definitely suggest getting the 10mm strut spacers up front just to level everything out.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results if you get the chance!
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock
miketoth1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:15   #19
DSL HED
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a gas engine

I had the rear wheels off yesterday doing a brake flush and discovered that the rear shocks are original. Had 2001 manufacture dates on them! Apparently the PO didn't mind driving around on a concrete block with wheels. But he was probably poor since he took it to the dealer a lot.

I think that gap is normal, I've seen it on my 2003 Jetta just after I got the struts done at my mechanic a couple years ago.

I placed my orders with Rockauto and Blauparts this morning. I did the VR6 Blauparts package. I'll probably order the spacers to make it even up front. I see that idparts has a pair for $22.50.

My car came with a trailer hitch as well. Don't know if I'll use it, but it's good to know that if I do, the car won't be heavily weighed down in the back.

I'll be starting on the work this weekend. One weekend will be dedicated to doing the rears (including the axle bushings) and then the fronts the next weekend. I also ordered TT LCA bushings and ball joints from from Metalman, which I'll replace along with the sway bar bushings. Then on June 25 it's up to see Herm for a timing belt install along with new followers and a new serpentine tensioner (previous T-belt was done at dealer and it was mark and pray). I'll update with my findings once I get the suspension parts replaced.
Old June 9th, 2011, 13:35   #20
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpgs

The 81055 springs are the same as the GTI vr6 rear springs? I wonder why they don't sit level with the front? I think dads diesel just installed the front and rear springs and there was no forward rake? I just bought a set of front and rear and don't want any forward rake? What's the deal.
Old June 9th, 2011, 15:07   #21
Veteran Member

I guess dads diesel has a jetta which is 200lbs heavier in the rear which explains why his site more level, but even then the rear is slightly higher??
Old June 9th, 2011, 18:32   #22
Veteran Member

can you please take another pic after the springs have settled? Thanks!
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:39   #23
Veteran Member

Has the rear end settled at all? I have those springs, but installing them are on hold now. I might just install the front springs and leave the rear stock? I don't tow anything. Just installing the fronts would probibly make it handle better and it wouldn't have your rake? I don't think I want to raise it up in the front to match the rear. Has the rear gone down at all or is there a way to lower the rear with those springs? I wonder if I could cut the spring? Or is that a bad idea?
Old June 11th, 2011, 19:58   #24
miketoth1979

The rear has settled by a tad less than .5" since that last pic was taken (without the trailer)...and the car looks pretty much the same now as it did then. I still have about 1" more height in the rear than the front, but I'm used to it now and kinda like having the extra height for when I need to drop the trailer on the back.

But if you are looking to stay pretty level, you are probably wise to just do the fronts. You could always replace just the rear shocks and not the rear springs, since the spring is really what determines the ride height anyways. The shocks will firm up the ride and improve handling without gaining you much height.
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock
Old June 11th, 2011, 20:39   #25
Veteran Member

Either that or I'm thinking about 10mm spacers for the front struts? That would help even it out. Would you say the rear is too stiff without the trailer? Or is it just about right for a sports suspension? Thanks.
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:21   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL HED View Post
I had the rear wheels off yesterday doing a brake flush and discovered that the rear shocks are original. Had 2001 manufacture dates on them! Apparently the PO didn't mind driving around on a concrete block with wheels. But he was probably poor since he took it to the dealer a lot.

I think that gap is normal, I've seen it on my 2003 Jetta just after I got the struts done at my mechanic a couple years ago.

I placed my orders with Rockauto and Blauparts this morning. I did the VR6 Blauparts package. I'll probably order the spacers to make it even up front. I see that idparts has a pair for $22.50.

My car came with a trailer hitch as well. Don't know if I'll use it, but it's good to know that if I do, the car won't be heavily weighed down in the back.

I'll be starting on the work this weekend. One weekend will be dedicated to doing the rears (including the axle bushings) and then the fronts the next weekend. I also ordered TT LCA bushings and ball joints from from Metalman, which I'll replace along with the sway bar bushings. Then on June 25 it's up to see Herm for a timing belt install along with new followers and a new serpentine tensioner (previous T-belt was done at dealer and it was mark and pray). I'll update with my findings once I get the suspension parts replaced.

I would like to see how your golf turns out with the spacers installed. Could you please take a pic and post it when your done? Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:35   #27
Veteran Member

I've heard some bad things about using the spacers and was told not to use them? Do a search for will these vr6 springs work in the mk4 section. The problem is explained there. If your rear settled another .5 of and inch it is better. I think I will install all four springs and let the rear settle .5 of an inch. I will probibly get used to the rake. So how does it handle on the street? Does it corner nice and flat? How about braking no nose dive? Does it soak up the bumps on bad roads? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
Old June 13th, 2011, 14:38   #28
miketoth1979

I have spacers on the front of mine and the rake is still what you see in the pics (maybe slightly less now). I have never heard any negatives about the spacers. What did you heard? If you stack several sets on top of each other you are probably asking for trouble eventually, but otherwise I don't see the issue. Without the boat on, it does not feel too stiff at all. Feels just right when combined with the new shocks and struts. The spring seems to absorb the added weight of the boat nicely, but they are not too stiff without it, in my opinion.

The cornering compared to what my stock setup felt like at 123k or whatever is VERY MUCH improved. Corners well, minimal nose dive on braking (though the Golf's brake setup already compensates for that by initiating the rear brakes slightly before the fronts on hard stops). Soaks up bumps just fine. No topping out or bottoming out right now. Again, they have only been on a couple months, so I have no idea how these things will fare in the next couple years, but I'm quite pleased with them so far.
Old June 13th, 2011, 15:07   #29
Veteran Member

In your first post you state that you are not using spacers? Did you add them later? The only problem I have heard of using the spacers is the torqing of the nut on top of the strut is supposed to be different or else you risk squashing the strut mounts?
Old June 13th, 2011, 16:17   #30
miketoth1979

Oh, I see, I had never heard that before.

I did forget to write about the spacers in this thread. I had another thread going dealing with the MOOGs and I guess I put in in that one!

Yeah, the mechanic did install the 10mm spacers with the struts. I actually bought yet another set of spacers that I was considering putting on, too, before I realized that he had already installed a set.