honking turns cars off?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I have actually fixed mine while back, well sort of!

When i installed the air horn in the jetta i blew the fuse and that caused the car to stall and not start anymore. I looked at the fuses and noticed one was blown out i changed the 10a to 15a bc of the air horn and have not had any issues since. But i guess the issue is still the fact converter box and horn are on the same circuit.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
I emailed my CA and he replied that there is indeed a recall on the horn and to call in to fix an appointment ASAP.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I emailed my CA and he replied that there is indeed a recall on the horn and to call in to fix an appointment ASAP.
i want to know whats the acutal fix for this? are they going to re-direct the feed for the horn? i'm wondering if i should change my horn back to OEM before going for this.

i'll just wait to see what the exact fix is on this.

11JTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have actually fixed mine while back, well sort of!

When i installed the air horn in the jetta i blew the fuse and that caused the car to stall and not start anymore. I looked at the fuses and noticed one was blown out i changed the 10a to 15a bc of the air horn and have not had any issues since. But i guess the issue is still the fact converter box and horn are on the same circuit.
You apparently want your car to catch on fire! You did not by any means FIX the problem. Fuses blow for a reason (overloaded circuit) by putting a bigger fuse in you are asking for disaster. I would bet willing to be if you contacted the manufacturer of the air horn, they would tell you to relocate the wiring to a 15 amp circuit instead of just putting in a bigger fuse in a 10a circuit.

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
You apparently want your car to catch on fire! You did not by any means FIX the problem. Fuses blow for a reason (overloaded circuit) by putting a bigger fuse in you are asking for disaster. I would be willing to be if you contacted the manufacturer of the air horn, they would tell you to relocate the wiring to a 15 amp circuit instead of just putting in a bigger fuse in a 10a circuit.
i know i know! :D

i knew this would come out! :) it will have to be done properly in the summer months. I actually have to connect a relay to the horn and feed a proper wire from the battery with 15A fuse and proper wire. thats what the Horn manual said. But it was cold and i was lazy!

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You apparently want your car to catch on fire! You did not by any means FIX the problem. Fuses blow for a reason (overloaded circuit) by putting a bigger fuse in you are asking for disaster. I would bet willing to be if you contacted the manufacturer of the air horn, they would tell you to relocate the wiring to a 15 amp circuit instead of just putting in a bigger fuse in a 10a circuit.
Well put.:cool:

In tech school, I learned that the purpose of a fuse is to protect the wiring. In an emergency, if you don't have the correct fuse, go smaller, never bigger. That is of course after fixing the problem that blew the fuse in the first place.