www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 27th, 2011, 19:27   #1
Ghastly
Veteran Member

Question should I replace subframe bushings?

Car is 2004 Jetta sedan with 160,000km. I'm doing a refresh of all suspension bushings except the subframe bushings. Are the subframe bushings likely to be toast? Should I order the parts and do it all at the same time? I really want make the front-end as tight as possible. Please advise!
2004 Jetta Sedan 5sp | DG Short Shifter | BFI Stage1 all round, TT rear control arm bushings, Cupra R rear axle bushings | unauthorized EGR cooler delete | Bilstein HD w/Shine 6cyl springs | VNT-17 | 2.5" IDparts DP |tacotaco SMIC w/1.8T PP w/IDparts upper IC pipe | SFS TIP via Kerma | Sachs VR6 Clutch | 14 lb flywheel | Malone tune
Ghastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 20:35   #2
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

I still haven't figured out why they even have rubber bushings on the rear half of the subframe.. The front half is bolted solid, so they kinda seem useless..

Either way, I do a lot of bushings on mk4's and rarely ever see bad subframe bushings.. I'm putting an engine in an 02 Golf that has 300k and it has good subframe bushings.. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you..
Old March 27th, 2011, 21:00   #3
FlashT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 NB
Fuel Economy: 44 mpg's w/ IDparts downpipe!
Don't worry about them unless you plan on upgrading to the Audi TT subframe bushings.
FlashT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:48   #4
Ghastly
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear. The TT bushings sound great, but at $207 per set it's a little expensive.
2004 Jetta Sedan 5sp | DG Short Shifter | BFI Stage1 all round, TT rear control arm bushings, Cupra R rear axle bushings | unauthorized EGR cooler delete | Bilstein HD w/Shine 6cyl springs | VNT-17 | 2.5" IDparts DP |tacotaco SMIC w/1.8T PP w/IDparts upper IC pipe | SFS TIP via Kerma | Sachs VR6 Clutch | 14 lb flywheel | Malone tune
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:57   #5
Evil-Diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '05 TDI PD-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJetta99 View Post
I still haven't figured out why they even have rubber bushings on the rear half of the subframe.. The front half is bolted solid, so they kinda seem useless..

Either way, I do a lot of bushings on mk4's and rarely ever see bad subframe bushings.. I'm putting an engine in an 02 Golf that has 300k and it has good subframe bushings.. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you..

Thats on a stock motor and parts. When you start upgrading other parts such as nozzles, turbo, dogbone, etc, and adding more power, you will see that all bushings, including subframe, will deteriorate quicker..Im at 170,000kms and my subframe bushings need replacing. Its just my opinion that if you are upgrading all mounts and replacing busheings, might as well not half arce it and just replace the subframe bushings too.
KERMA HYRBID VNT20 + HIFLOW CAST MANIFOLD, HYBRID PD100 INJECTORS, PRECAT EXHAUST DUMP + 0 LAMBDA, SRI, OMI, FMIC, BHW OIL COOLER, OIL CATCH, EGR DELETE, JOM's, WAVETRAC LSD, VR6/G60, BFI MOUNTS, TT LCA'S, TT SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, TT SHORT SHIFTER, VR6 AXLES, VR6 SWAY BAR, VF ENDLINKS, POWERFLEX SWAY BAR + STEERING RACK + REAR AXLE BUSHINGS, ZIMMERMAN XDRILLED, KERMA WIDGET, 1200RPM...
Evil-Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 19:15   #6
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I didn't do my subframe yet but will with the clutch I am thinking as my brother said it makes it easier to just drop that down. I haven't had a reason to drop the sub frame down yet. That and mine look great yet. Brothers look like crap though.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 23:17   #7
Ghastly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastly View Post
Car is 2004 Jetta sedan with 160,000km. I'm doing a refresh of all suspension bushings except the subframe bushings. Are the subframe bushings likely to be toast? Should I order the parts and do it all at the same time? I really want make the front-end as tight as possible. Please advise!

The correct answer is yes, you should replace the subframe bushings - with Audi TT parts.
Old July 31st, 2013, 16:30   #8
dremd
Veteran Member

I'm running 034motorsports billet bushings in my second car, works great, no NVH change detected, mild steering improvement. That's on current car.
No last car I had one that was screwed, HUGE improvement (car would clunk).
03 Silver Premium Jetta Wagon. ESP, power memory leather seats, autodimming mirror, auto wipers, memory mirors, multi function steering wheel, climatronic, and lots of OEM goodness. 1.8T Triptronic eliminated, ALH + 6 speed manual installed in place.
Oh, there is a 2014 JSW here also.
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote