How do you remove the lower dash, where ashtray goes?

hodgie

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
A friend of mine has a 98 Jetta TDI. The instrument cluster is giving her fits, so I have done some homework. I would like to check the ground behind the ashtray, but can't get the dash loose to pull it out. I took the 2 screws out, but it didn't come loose like I expected, and I don't want to break something. Any advice?
Mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dash removal

Lots of work to get the dash out! I'll try to remember.

Start by prying up the cover around the gear shift.....screws under there! (Leave the gear shift knob on the stick, the cover need not come all the way off the stick)

I'm thinking the little accessory tray (if that's what it's called) at the back of the console must be pulled up and out.......screws under there!

Then, take out the panel with the glove box....screws under the bottom, open passenger door and see where there are screws at end of dash, look along the bottom edges of the console for round plastic plugs (screw behind them), then you need to remove the radio (special tools), the black center section of the dash....notice, it is two piece and reaches all the way to the windshield. Push the piece toward the window and it should pop up and out. Now, go outside and look in thru the windshield....see there are more screws there on the main center piece.

Now, back to the radio, behind it are screws......also, I'm thinking there is one screw at the edge of the console near where the accelerator pedal is located..

As you try to work out the console, all those "hidden screws" will began to show!

The heater/ac controls will come into play as well!

Others can chime in as you work across toward the cluster!

I did a rather detailed write-up back in mid-2009 on this topic!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

hodgie

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Lots of work to get the dash out! I'll try to remember.

Start by prying up the cover around the gear shift.....screws under there! (Leave the gear shift knob on the stick, the cover need not come all the way off the stick)

I'm thinking the little accessory tray (if that's what it's called) at the back of the console must be pulled up and out.......screws under there!

Then, take out the panel with the glove box....screws under the bottom, open passenger door and see where there are screws at end of dash, look along the bottom edges of the console for round plastic plugs (screw behind them), then you need to remove the radio (special tools), the black center section of the dash....notice, it is two piece and reaches all the way to the windshield. Push the piece toward the window and it should pop up and out. Now, go outside and look in thru the windshield....see there are more screws there on the main center piece.

Now, back to the radio, behind it are screws......also, I'm thinking there is one screw at the edge of the console near where the accelerator pedal is located..

As you try to work out the console, all those "hidden screws" will began to show!

The heater/ac controls will come into play as well!

Others can chime in as you work across toward the cluster!

I did a rather detailed write-up back in mid-2009 on this topic!

Hope this helps!
I appreciate the detailed instructions, but I don't think that we are thinking the same thing. The ash tray slides out, and there are two screws at the bottom lip. The ash tray frame, which has some switches above it, are one piece. The dash itself doesn't extend to the floor, where the shifter is. I can wiggle the frame, but can't pull it out. It moves some, but it feels like something is going to break if I keep trying. I'm bringing the car to my house this evening, so I will take a photo and post it. Remember, this is on a 98 Jetta.
Regardless, thanks!
Mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My instructions are based on a 1999 NB TDI.

I really don't think there is a difference. And, you will be surprised at the number of screws and where they are located........it's almost like, you cannot get there from here.....have to start somewhere else and work your way over to the area your trying to access!

Josh255

TDI
98 Jetta
Did you ever get an answer to this. I ran into the same issue today. autozone.com said to pry the bezel from around the heater control knobs, but I don't want to break anything.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The bezel just pops out but there's nothing much behind it other than the screws for the heater control panel.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The knobs will pull straight off....... Apply some tape for protection and then use pliers to pull them off (if they are stubborn).

Since I wrote the responses above, I have removed everything as descibed on an '01 Golf to repair the heater/AC controls.

The console is screwed to bits of the dash toward the hearter area (IIRC).

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
No need to pull the knobs for that cover, what is it you're actually trying to do?