www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:49   #1
delver

Default Dealer fried my ECM - 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon

I took my car in for a glow plug and software recall. When I called to ask if the car was ready to be picked up, they said, "We have some bad news for you..."

So, they say that while they were doing the software update, everything shut down and now they have to replace the ECM (order one from Germany). They've given me a rental car, but it's almost a week later and they still haven't got the part in. It was supposed to be done by today.

My questions are, how did this happen, should they be giving me some sort of compensation for this situation and could it cause other problems in the future?

This was at the VW dealer in Oakland, CA.

Thanks
delver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:54   #2
puter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg

Honestly, I would say that if they are giving you a free rental and replacing it at no cost, then you are winning out as far as VW dealerships go.

Most dealerships would give you some bull**** reason why it wasn't their fault that the ECM died and tell you that they can repair it for their standard parts and labor cost.
puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:57   #3
pyankura

Fuel Economy: 39 mpg

Unfortunately this is par for the course! Giving you a new ecu is the best thay can do, well, also the rental! You shouldn't have any future problems as it is just a computer.
Heck, when I bought my car new, they replaced the ecu. Reason...My alarm would go off for know reason, my sun roof would open with and with out me doing it and best of all I could not always get it to close! So no big deal...

Did you have it tuned?

2005 Golf PD, software, cat 2 micron, 17/22, mufflerectomy
pyankura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 13:01   #4
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by delver View Post
I took my car in for a glow plug and software recall. When I called to ask if the car was ready to be picked up, they said, "We have some bad news for you..."

So, they say that while they were doing the software update, everything shut down and now they have to replace the ECM (order one from Germany). They've given me a rental car, but it's almost a week later and they still haven't got the part in. It was supposed to be done by today.

My questions are, how did this happen, should they be giving me some sort of compensation for this situation and could it cause other problems in the future?

This was at the VW dealer in Oakland, CA.

Thanks
According to your signature you are in Brooklyn. What happened?

Anyway, if the battery dies on either the car or the scan tool while doing a reflash or someone disconnects it by mistake it completely clears the ecm program. While dealers can update the program they cannot start from scratch. They made a mistake, it happens. They are doing the right thing at no cost to you. What more do you want?

I had this happen to me once on a Toyota when another tech disconnected the scan tool during a reflash. We ordered a new ECM and gave the customer a rental as well.

Will it be the cause of a problem in the future? Not likely.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 13:23   #5
delver

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, it crossed my mind that they could have told me it was a problem with my car and I was therefore responsible for any costs. I guess I'll be happy to have a new ECM. My sunroof also goes up and down sometimes without me touching the dial, so maybe that will be fixed.

My signature is a few years and one TDI old.
delver is offline   Reply With Quote