www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:38   #16
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

the first thing I did when I bought my car was find a set of rims and bought dedicated snow ice tires. Michelins XI ICE-II.
The hankook's H725A I also noticed traction not great but they are LRR tires (low rolling resistance) for better fuel economy. I would expect less grabbing ability.
Just put them back on yesterday and stored my michelins till next winter. when the Hankooks wear out I wont buy another set of them, but would buy the Michelins again.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:31   #17
mafroze

TDI(s): Jetta MKVI
Thumbs up Optimo Tires

I have them on 2011 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual with about 2k miles and they run great. no road noise, and goood handling.
mafroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 19:59   #18
shipboy

TDI(s): 2011 jetta

live in W MI and picked up 2011 TDI DSG with the Hankooks end of Jan 2011- and they worked just fine in the snow and rain- and are quiet.
shipboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:29   #19
TDImania

Brand new 0 miles, was raining at 4 degree Celcius. I took several speed turns, hard start and stop : no wheelspin. Good tire when cold, It could just be better when hot and dry.

CHECK YOUR ALIGNMENT if it doesnt grab on one side turn !!

/end or thread
TDImania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 20:08   #20
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

mine came with car...putting them on tomorrow (had snows on all winter)...probably average....but i dont go to the track and i want mileage....low rolling resistance sounds good. i will dump them in 3 yrs.
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:02   #21
DC-IT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2011 Jetta TDI (6.0L/100KM)

I got my TDI with the Hankook H725A tires in early Feb and used them for the rest of the Winter without any mishaps.
They handled fine in light snow and rain and not much road/tire noise so I'm going to use them till it's time to replace.

They have 50,000 Mile or 80,000 KM tread life so should last a couple of years for my use.

I also have Hankook Ice Bear W409 winter tires on my 335D and they were able to handle last Winter quite nicely other than the slight increased road noise due to the tread.

DC-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 23:29   #22
rtking
Veteran Member

I just picked up my TDI tonight and was surprised to see that I have Goodyear Eagle Vector EV2 tires. I tried to find them on TireRack and couldn't. Googling shows that this is a European Goodyear tire! I guess the factory must have had a fluke and installed this all season, V-rated tire on my car. Let's see how they perform, but I'm hoping that I got a little "bonus" on my car! :-)
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:33   #23
DieselNerd

Being V rated, your mileage may suffer, but I'm sure they'll stick like glue and you'll be secure cruising at 150mph.
DieselNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:53   #24
hugh2505

Fuel Economy: 47-48 Highway

Just got back from the dealership for my 60 day safety check. It was raining. I told them how poorly the Hankook's perform in wet weather. Car wants to understeer when cornering at moderate (not aggressive) speed, especially cloverleafs getting onto highway. You'll never guess what the mechanic said after test drive: "Cannot duplicate problem. Tires performing as intended."

Guess I'm stuck with 'em. Not going to spend the money to upgrade. I'll just have everyone tailgate me when cornering. :-(

Last edited by hugh2505; April 26th, 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Left out Tire Brand
hugh2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 13:44   #25
DieselNerd

Interestingly, here in Middle Tennessee we had a deluge of rain this morning. I have the Hankooks and they performed fine. I kept waiting for them to misbehave as I've heard bad things about them, but they were fine.

That being said, I have a two wheeled vehicle I ride when I feel my inner hooligan coming out. I don't putter around in my Jetta, but I don't drive it all that hard either. Maybe I'm just not pushing it.
Old April 26th, 2011, 14:05   #26
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

Living in Seattle we get plenty of rain - too much at this point! That being said, the Hankooks seem to be doing just fine in the wet.

Anyways, we finally had a beautiful stretch of 3 days or so, maybe a few more. I headed to the grocery store yesterday and it was raining. I went around a curve at about 30-35 and the car felt like it wanted to understeer. I am attributing this to the oil building up and then mixing with the rain. I wonder if this could be what people are experiencing because like I said the Hankooks seem up to the challenge of the rain here.
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 14:01   #27
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

I'm with the "They're Complete Crap" camp when it comes to the Optimas.

I replaced them with Primacy MXM4's a couple weeks ago when I took off the snows. Much MUCH better.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 16:21   #28
DieselNerd

We've been under tornado warnings with torrential downpours in the area today. 5+ inches of rain has fallen in the last 24 hours.

I was running 80mph in the pouring rain today with nairy a squiggle. I did light up the traction control light a few times when I was pulling away from a stop, but that's all I noticed.
Old April 27th, 2011, 16:26   #29
11JTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNerd View Post
Being V rated, your mileage may suffer, but I'm sure they'll stick like glue and you'll be secure cruising at 150mph.
Are you referring to the mileage of the tire, or mileage of the fuel??
Old April 27th, 2011, 19:47   #30
DieselNerd

Mileage of the tire.

V rated tires are typically a softer compound. They are rated to 150mph.

Way back in 1990, my Corrado came with V rated tires on it. I think they lasted about 10,000 miles before they were showing cords. Of course, I abused them pretty well too.