www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 20th, 2011, 18:34   #1
CanuckCommuter

Fuel Economy: 800 l /100 k with a heavy foot
Default Valve cover gasket?

Sorry but i searched as much as i could here and could not see any posts that related to the replacement of this item.

I have just ordered my Bentley manual....But i am looking to see how big of a job this is?
I am leaking oil and would like to replace this gasket.

Any pictorials or breakdowns of this anywhere?

Thanks
CanuckCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 19:50   #2
nylonoxygen77

TDI(s): A4 1.9 ALH

Looks like you have an A4, you need to replace the entire valve cover as the gasket is integral. Here's where I got mine a few weeks ago:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=654

PLEASE replace the bolts too, they're less than $10.
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=922

You need a 5mm hex wrench with a ball end, and you also should get a 5mm hex socket. A torque wrench is also something you should have. Also a universal joint is definitely a plus. There are only 7 bolts, but four of them are in the back, and the two on the left side are difficult to get out. Some recommend using a stubby 5mm socket, but I found that the ball-end hex wrench works pretty well and the universal joint combined with a wobble extension works wonders.

Before you start, you may want to whack each one with a hammer a few times. The bolts are pretty soft, and if they're in there tight, you may end up rounding them out. This happened to me. I used a 6mm triple square to get it out. I just hammered it down into the rounded-out hex hole and used that to back it out.

Please only tighten them down to 7 ft lbs... if you don't have a torque wrench, use a regular ratchet but keep your hand on the head of the ratchet when you're tightening. It's an aluminum head.

Hope that helps.
Old March 20th, 2011, 20:14   #3
Dodoma
Veteran Member

This is expensive just for the gasket. I wonder if you can remove the old rubber from the cover and use it as a stencil to make one from cork. Spending $174 after opening the cover once is too expensive. See if you can use the existing cover and gasket atleast 45 times because the old cork valve cover gasket that is being used on 1.6 diesels cost about $4. If you think your gasket is not preventing leak, use it along with gasket sealant. You will alway see some leak from these vehicles valve cover gaskets because the engine is sweating.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 21:36   #4
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Where is it leaking? You might get by with just adding a dab of RTV in the corners of the gasket where it meets the cam caps.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me Yes, I do the Passat BSM repair! MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 21:49   #5
nylonoxygen77

TDI(s): A4 1.9 ALH

I tried RTV like greengeeker suggests, but for me it didn't work since the leak was not in the area of the corners of the gasket. Removal of the gasket and fabrication may be difficult. It's not a flat two-dimensional gasket, it rounds over the cam on the sprocket side and again on the vacuum pump side - that may be why it's integrated into the cover and not replaceable. You might be able to get away with some RTV, IMHO it might buy you some time, but keep an eye on it. Do what you think is best. My guess though is that you'll get the cover off and find that the old gasket is compressed, rigid, and maybe even a little brittle. Good luck!
Old March 20th, 2011, 22:05   #6
Dodoma
Veteran Member

If the rubber gasket is removable, I believe it must then be available separately. We need to do more research on this issue. It seems weird that just for gasket you need to replace the cover. We need to find if the gasket has a vw part number.
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:33   #7
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Guys, a 1998 is an A-3, not an A-4. The covers are cheap and easily replaced. It's only held on with 3 bolts, 10mm if I remember correctly. That's all that's needed to replace it, and it can easily be done anywhere. You will have to remove the CCV puck at the top and the hoses, but it's pretty intuitive.

The gasket is $20. I replaced the grommets at the same time. Just don't overtighten the new gasket because then it can leak.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.

Last edited by Abacus; March 21st, 2011 at 07:38.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:23   #8
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Ha! Wasn't even paying attention. Nice catch abacus.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me Yes, I do the Passat BSM repair! MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 18:56   #9
CanuckCommuter

Fuel Economy: 800 l /100 k with a heavy foot

Thank you all for the help.

Abacus...that is great news!
As i read on it was looking bleak until i clicked the link for the $20.00 gasket.....Just a few bolts and the removal of the ccv pucks....good stuff.

I will order a gasket and get to it as soon as it gets here.

Thanks again for your help.
CanuckCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:27   #10
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Ha! Wasn't even paying attention. Nice catch abacus.
Can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing.

Glad I could help.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 22:35   #11
Dodoma
Veteran Member

If a vw owner is unaware where his/her car is a1 (or mark 1), a2, a3, a4, a5, a6, etc., s/he ought to read introduction on this site to find that out.