www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 16th, 2011, 17:12   #1
BERyan

Default How do you clean sun roof drains on 2003 Jetta wagon TDI

My sunroof is leaking every time it rains. It leaks out through the lights behind teh sun visors.

I've tried cleaning the drains with compressed air and I see water dripping out the bottom of the car, but I can't see a drain opening under the car.

I'm able to push a small diameter air hose down about two feet in the right and left drains but can find an outlet point. I can hear air hissing inside theh dash board beside the door.

Any guidance on how to clean to stop the leaking in the rain?
BERyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 18:01   #2
cow0man

There should be two outlets. I will try to be descriptive, as I do not have a picture. They are located just inside the the driver and passenger doors. They look like a rubber hose that has been pinched and left flat. Usually if you just squeeze them, you should see water come out if there is any in the line. I had seen a procedure published once, but do not recall where, but it stated to pour warm water near the drains in the sunroof and to squeeze the rubber nipples. Also, it mentioned something about running a piece of wire down the drain tubes, but have not seen a reason as to why if you are able to keep the drains open.
There was a TB on it.
A VW dealer near Seattle wanted over $100 to do a 5 min job.
PM if you you cannot locate and I will get pictures this weekend.
cow0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 18:05   #3
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.1-5l/100

http://www.volksbloggin.com/2007/07/...-flowing-well/
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:03   #4
KLXD
Veteran Member

Problem with using compressed air is that you can blow the hose off the nipple up where it connects to the drain.

Use string trimmer line for a snake, not wire, and rotate it as you push it in.

Sounds like it might be too late for cleaning the drain for you.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:51   #5
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Have you had it in for the recall yet? Maybe they will unplug it during the recall.
Old March 17th, 2011, 15:59   #6
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERyan View Post
(snip) Any guidance on how to clean to stop the leaking in the rain?
__. There are a couple of failure modes. One is the plugged drains -- that lets the water back up and overflow into the header area (the light area). Another problem is that the frame of the sunroof has metal drain pipes that are only a couple of inches long. There are plastic tubes that attach to those metal pipes; if they get pushed loose, the water leaks into the area above the sunvisor pivots. From there it can easily run across the top of the headliner to the area where the lights are.

__. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get in the area where those metal pipes join to the plastic tubes. Some people have had some success fishing down the drains from the open sunroof but it's really hard. Do a search on "sunroof drain tubes" on this forum and also the "A4" forum for more details. (PS This is the failure mode that's often caused by too much air pressure if someone is trying to "blow out" the blocked drains.)