www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

View Poll Results: Which Repair/Service manual is best?
Bentley 29 100.00%
Chilton 0 0%
Haynes 0 0%
Other. Please specify 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:46   #1
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Default Best repair/service manual

Ive used Haynes for years but apparently they are not the best. I'm considering Bentley. I'm pretty much a DIY mechanically minded individual who will attempt just about anything! Ive included Bentley, Chilton and Haynes as voting options. If there are more id like to hear about them!

Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:54   #2
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

I voted Bentley- but to be honest, the best resources are this site and myturbodiesel.com

The DIY instructions include pictures, specific suggestions about sizes and types of tools and parts to use, and hints about tricky spots along the way.

When using any manual (Bentley included), you unfortunately must be careful that the torque specifications are correct. There are several mistakes in the Bentley manuals for the MKIV and MKV vehicles... not to mention several little suggested torque modifications due to factory-torque spec. failures.. that are mentioned here on the site. For instance, it is generally agreed upon that the camshaft sprocket is safter tightened to 42ft/lbs than 33ft/lbs on the ALH engine. There are quite a few examples like that. I also find it easier to search the forums for a torque than it is to find it in the Bentley... the organization in the Bentley is poor at best.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:01   #3
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
the best resources are this site and myturbodiesel.com
I agree. Manuals aren't always 100% accurate. Actually they often tell you to dismantle components that can be worked around. I do like to have photographs though as I am a "hands on" learner.

Old March 14th, 2011, 12:18   #4
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Manual-tranny hit the nail on the head. Of the choices you named the best is, without a doubt, the Bentley. I prefer the paper version over the CD version (I have both). No manual is perfect and most common procedures are well documented either here or on myturbodiesel (or both). The biggest advantage to the paper manual, is you can carry it to the car and get it greasy as you work on the car. I have always been disappointed by Chilton and Haynes manuals. They are incomplete, even when they are correct.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 14:06   #5
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

I had both Haynes and Bentley manuals when I owned my old Rabbits. The one advantage of the Haynes was that it had actual photos, not just schematics/drawings like the Bentley does. There are times when a photo makes more sense.

For my TDIs, I've only owned Bentley manuals.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 14:24   #6
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorDJQ View Post
I had both Haynes and Bentley manuals when I owned my old Rabbits. The one advantage of the Haynes was that it had actual photos, not just schematics/drawings like the Bentley does. There are times when a photo makes more sense.

For my TDIs, I've only owned Bentley manuals.
So Bentley's have no photos either in the printed or the software versions?

Old March 14th, 2011, 14:30   #7
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
So Bentley's have no photos either in the printed or the software versions?
Very few, mostly in the "maintenance" section pointing out the locations of items under the hood.

The rest are B&W diagrams. But at this point, despite being an amateur mechanic, I have enough skill to understand the drawings fairly well. Plus, the instructions in Bentley are very thorough.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 15:29   #8
Scratcher
Veteran Member

I may lean toward a software copy of Bentley for the details and a paper copy of Haynes for the photos(The Haynes will be the cheaper paper option) Plus it will give me some good bedtime reading!

Old March 15th, 2011, 05:45   #9
Sevenjays

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

How about the difference or preference between the "service" Bentley and "repair" Bentley manuals. Below is the link to the Bentley description but what are people actually using and liking better? I have a timing belt to change and clutch. I prefer paper, but I only see the repair manual in DVD whereas the service manual come in a paper copy.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/p...?pageId=753692

2004 Jetta TDI-stock PD BEW engine. JVC KD-805 w/factory speakers. Venectomy. 216,000 miles. M-1 TDT mafia member
99 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4X4 K2500 Suburban.
Sevenjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:50   #10
Scratcher
Veteran Member

It would make it much easier if they would include both in one package

Old March 15th, 2011, 06:55   #11
Ryephile
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MkVI Golf

I have the Bentley paper manual [for the MkV JSW CJAA, basically the same as my MkVI Golf TDI]. I mainly use the Bentley as a reference for fluid types, quantities, and bolt torque numbers. The rest is a bonus, IMO. Occasionally there's a tip in there that helps improve repair efficiency.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:46   #12
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

They all are crap compared to a Toyota Manual. However the Bentley is best for VW.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 14:17   #13
Sevenjays

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevster1 View Post
They all are crap compared to a Toyota Manual. However the Bentley is best for VW.
Trouble with the Toyota manual is when I tried to overhaul my 6.5 Chevy I kept getting lost on the diagrams. None of the pictures looked like my truck! I then tried to use it on my TDI with similar results. LOL!!!!! Just kidding. Where are the TOs like the AirForce had? If Monkeys could read, they could have easily fixed airplanes those books were so detailed!

2004 Jetta TDI-stock PD BEW engine. JVC KD-805 w/factory speakers. Venectomy. 216,000 miles. M-1 TDT mafia member
99 6.5 Turbo Diesel 4X4 K2500 Suburban.
Sevenjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 17:22   #14
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

There wasn't a button for 'unnecessary poll'

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=7120217