www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old March 5th, 2011, 17:31   #1
Madorski
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '11 GSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: Many!
Default Why the heck can't I find bio blends in Edmonton?

Seriously! They even extended the producers credit to 2016 and added an additional $56 million to it!

The only luck I've had talking to anyone is 4Refuel, but they only sell their splash-blended B5 to CN for the trains...

Anyone got any suggestions as to retail distributors in Northern Alberta?
Old March 6th, 2011, 20:31   #2
sqdude
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 on 50% biodiesel

I don't remember the details, but I heard within the last 6 months that the Canadian Gov passed a law that directly or indirectly killed every bio pump in the country. Not sure if it was a storage tank issue like California, or a production thing...you might try contacting other bio producers in other areas and see if they're still producing/retailing and if there have been any fundamental changes recently.

"If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life."
sqdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 21:15   #3
Madorski
Veteran Member

The funny thing is that there are two large-scale bio refinery projects in Alberta, both within about an hour of me.

There are vendors in southern Alberta, Sask, and BC, yet Northern Alberta, there is not a single retail pump!
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:16   #4
jek
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47-50 in the Passy, 25-28 in the Chevy, 20-23 in the Cummins

B/c the government doesnt want to help u or the economy, they would rather fund terrorist nations. sorry for the rant, just getting pissed at high fuel prices when we can make our own in the states!
Old June 19th, 2011, 17:36   #5
Dieselfitter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.7mpg@110kph
Default B5 in Edmonton Alberta, spring and summer only !

I have been informed that as of April 2011, Shell is B5 , but only in the Edmonton Area. Back to D100 for fall and winter. This is from an E-mail they sent me.
Dieselfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 17:44   #6
Madorski
Veteran Member

Good to know. I typically run Husky but perhaps I will try the J in Sherwood Park or give the Bluewave cardlock a call.

Thanks for the heads up!