www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 4th, 2011, 15:14   #1
jetta2000
Veteran Member

Default Rothenbacher Engineering STRIKE!!!

Had a car come in the shop today with one of this crooks timing belt kits on it. Had 549 miles on the kit. The belt was shot, big idler was leaking grease and had play in it, both small idlers had excessive play, and water pump had a little play. Only 549 miles what junk from CHINA. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS CROOK OR ANY OF HIS LAUGHABLE WEBSITES. CHEAP=JUNK.
jetta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 15:28   #2
procupine14
Veteran Member

So are we talking head rebuild or was the car saved? My assumption based on how people drive cars that put cheap parts on them is that they drove it until it broke and that is why it's now in your capable hands now.

Man I hate that prothe crap.
Old March 4th, 2011, 15:29   #3
jetta2000
Veteran Member

Belt wasnt broken yet. close tho.
Old March 4th, 2011, 20:59   #4
procupine14
Veteran Member

Phew! They got lucky and I hope that they learned their lesson.
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:45   #5
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta2000 View Post
Had 549 miles on the kit. The belt was shot...
Wow, that's not a lot of miles. My parent's used to take us into the North Maine woods, 75 miles (one way) from the nearest town (some called it a town, not us). The main drive belt snapped on our '78 IHC Scout II and I remember we used the strap from the canteen to drive to town, only to find them closed. Belt looked OK, so we headed back to the campsite and came out on a different day. Once we replaced the belt, we put it back on the canteen and headed back into the woods. We had over 225 miles on that canteen belt. Maybe Prothe should look into a new source for his timing belts.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:03   #6
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Wow, that's not a lot of miles. My parent's used to take us into the North Maine woods, 75 miles (one way) from the nearest town (some called it a town, not us). The main drive belt snapped on our '78 IHC Scout II and I remember we used the strap from the canteen to drive to town, only to find them closed. Belt looked OK, so we headed back to the campsite and came out on a different day. Once we replaced the belt, we put it back on the canteen and headed back into the woods. We had over 225 miles on that canteen belt. Maybe Prothe should look into a new source for his timing belts.
LOL on my old 64 Impala I snapped a fan belt (water pump and alternator) a ways from home in the rain and had to make a new one out of zip ties. Had to stop and retighten every few miles but that **** got me home. LOL
Wayne64SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:09   #7
jetta2000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS View Post
LOL on my old 64 Impala I snapped a fan belt (water pump and alternator) a ways from home in the rain and had to make a new one out of zip ties. Had to stop and retighten every few miles but that **** got me home. LOL
hard to believe but quite the story...
Old March 5th, 2011, 19:25   #8
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

Amazing that moron still can sell crap and that his name isn't tarnished enough so people STOP PAYING HIM.
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:15   #9
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Not that I'm advocating it, but I'm surprised someone hasn't offed him yet.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:47   #10
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Does that dude advertise on here? If not, I doubt if he sees any of these comments. He has tons of stuff listed on FleaBay!

Several years ago, in very backwoods east Kentucky, the wife and I were heading home from a high school football game! We were on a two lane toll road with very low traffic volume, especially at night! Anyway, my 1.6L diesel '84 Jetta blew the bottom rad hose and puked all the coolant. Well, long story short, I would go thru the gears and get it up to about 70 mph, kick in neutral shut off engine then turn key back on so the lights would work and let it coast as far as possible. Then, with the AC compressor electrically disconnected, I'd turn on the AC so the fans out front would help cool the engine down. I repeated that procedure numerous times over about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the next exit! Cut the hose and spliced it and filled with water and drove home!
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:05   #11
RichmondKYtdi

we have got to start having everyone contact the bbb who has been screwed bvy this guy, he has an A rating at the moment, i believe if they were bombarded all at one with all the issues currently popping up you might have a shot, though the bbb has never really impressed me all that much.

Rothenbacher Engineering

under Matthews NC 28104
RichmondKYtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:31   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It truly is amazing that guy is still in business, and that the Chinese keep making the crap... think of all the other people around the globe with Volkswagens that get screwed! There are a LOT more VAG products in pretty much every other country on the planet than there is in the US or Canada...
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:02   #13
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Someone want the lawyers phone number for VW? he IS in violation of Trademark.....Just saying.....
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:46   #14
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
Someone want the lawyers phone number for VW? he IS in violation of Trademark.....Just saying.....
I'm not in anyway defending this guy, I am curious though, how is he violating their trademark?
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:54   #15
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

I think I installed an injection pump from him. (sold to me from another member on this site!) I got 3 miles down the road before the pump went out of time. Screwed.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote