www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:07   #31
allana13

TDI(s): VW Golf

Any info on Shell V-Power sold in the UK ?
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 19:01   #32
Strykeviper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '01 33-39; '00 40-53

I fill up at Shell and my mileage is consistent. Hess and Mobil seem to hurt my mileage. I instantly lose up to 8mpg on Hess and my in-laws 2010 DSG got 31mpg on Mobil...

'00 Jetta TDI, 157k, Atlas skid plate, 3 Pedal Mod, DG short shifter
'01 Jetta TDI, auto, 151k, Atlas skid plate
Strykeviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 20:37   #33
Midwesthick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 VW TDI
Fuel Economy: 45+

heres a link thats helpful
http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...s-gas-stations

I always add into my tank 5.3 fl/oz of the Gray bottle of Diesel Kleen to boost the cetane up a little more too. 5.3 was the math I figured how on much is in the tank.
Midwesthick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 16:49   #34
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

Both my 03 golf, and our 2010 a3 get the best mileage with Husky Dieselmax, + 3oz Lubecorp premium diesel plus. Petrocan, esso and shell never give the same mileage. Also use it for the extra lubricity additive package with Husky.
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:32   #35
Charrigan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta

Anyone with a CR tdi be careful with some BP stations.
My 3 local BP stations use 25% bio in the summer blend. From what I've read it could cause fuel pump issues on 09+ tdi's.
Charrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:41   #36
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrigan View Post
My 3 local BP stations use 25% bio in the summer blend. From what I've read it could cause fuel pump issues on 09+ tdi's.
I've heard differently, on this site. Excess biodiesel can dilute the engine oil, but the lubricity could help the CR pump.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 17:42   #37
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

Downside- Long term use will damage the dpf system. Upside-increase the life of the hpfp.- catch 22
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 20:16   #38
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...and he did say "SOME" BP stations. I haven't seen bio in the DC area BP/Amoco stations.
I daresay it won't be too long before we start reading about DPF issues, as engines start to pass the 100k mile mark. Then we can all analyze the various combinations of bio/additives that have been tried.
Hopefully, we'll find the part to be over-engineered...
Old March 3rd, 2012, 18:52   #39
VWDoggy

TDI(s): 2012 golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrigan View Post
Contacted BP on a mis-labled pump (ethanol sticker) and asked about Cetane and bio-diesel content. Here is the reply; interestingly according to this person any fuel over B5 must be labeled per the FTC.

Hello Gerry,

We very much appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. I elevated it to the Jobber Sales Manager and Brand Manager.
I have been informed the label was removed by COB yesterday.

Some general information you might be interested in:
- Dispenser labeling requirements vary by state. Some having very detailed requirements while other have almost none. I don't believe OH has any particular labeling requirements for bio-diesel. However the FTC requires all diesel fuel containing >5% biodiesel to be labeled. the example below covers 6-20%, no label is required for 5% or less.

- I have attached a Product Information sheet for BP Diesel along a couple of Technical Bulletins which you may find of interest.

Thanks again for you interest in BP fuels.

Mark Matthews
Technical Service Engineer
BP, Global Fuels Technology
150 W. Warrenville Rd.
Naperville, IL 60563, MC J-8
VWDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:58   #40
pinkertonfloyd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post
Not true. For example, BP has a refinery in Whiting, IN that only produces their Premium Diesel products (per the owner of a station I used to frequent in MI). As far as I know, the refining process is one way of upping the cetane.
Uhhhhh... Look up how oil is refined. You don't grab a tank of Oil and say "I'm only going to make gas out of it"). Basically Crude contains all the different types of fuels, which have different boiling points. They distill the crude, and capture the different types of fuel from it. IE: At the lower temps you get gas, that is captured, and stored into tank as gas, at a higher temp you get diesel and fuel oil, again that's captured, you then heat it up more and you get lube oil and so on.

Great example of the process
http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...-refining4.htm
pinkertonfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:11   #41
lddrew

TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax

be careful of high turnover truck stops. a lot of time these stations have some of the lowest quality fuel. a 14 liter cummins might not mind some extra water and contaminants, but our much smaller and more refined fuel systems are much more sensitive.

2 of the 3 tanks of bad fuel I have gotten are from places where big rigs fill up

also avoid walmart/costco like the plague. I have seen pictures of tanks from there that are orange and there are large particles of asphaltenes floating in it

for the crappiness of north american diesel i recommend some aftermarket filtration. i run an adapter that allows me to use any filter for a certain CAT filter head. 3 micron absolute donaldson filters for $6.50, big improvement over 4 micron nominal and 35 dollar stocker
Old March 11th, 2012, 23:17   #42
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (507k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxkxx View Post
My local BP station sell Biodiesel. I think the label show B20. Is that safe fuel to use in 2010 TDI?
You may need to reduce your oil change interval, as CR TDIs with the diesel particulate filter could be at risk from fuel contamination of the crankcase oil.

B02-B05 should be reasonably safe. But VW warns against anything over B05 in the common rail TDIs.
'03 Golf with 507k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:17   #43
d-man
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 jetta PD
Fuel Economy: 50MPG

I have never seen diesel at a costco...ever
'05 MK4 Jetta PD,Wheat Beige, Kerma Tune, CCV 3.0, ScangaugeII, Ventectomy, Cat delete, muffler delete, 2.5" straight pipe with resonator, LuK DMF clutch kit, Monroe VR6 suspension, hidden hitch for bike carrier, evolution belly plate,Traxon E 75w-90 gear oil, Lucas break-in additive, Duron E 10w-40 summer, 0w-40 winter. Bosio 800 nozzles, Stage 2 colt cam.
d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 21:34   #44
TdiTaff
Veteran Member

d-man,
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they've just started selling diesel at the Costco in Eagle CO. Cheaper than the surrounding area and i've had no problems with it although I haven't got my consumption worked out for that tank yet.

VNT 17. Malone Stage 4 Tune. GodSpeed 1.8T SMIC Nicktane Uber Fuel Filter. Doggie Collar. SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch. Bilstein TC Sport Dampers. TT LCA Bushings. Expert Installation and service from aNUT; Dieselland.net. Ventectomy
TdiTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 16:48   #45
NewLyme
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.41 mpg City/Hwy Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddrew View Post
be careful of high turnover truck stops. a lot of time these stations have some of the lowest quality fuel. a 14 liter cummins might not mind some extra water and contaminants, but our much smaller and more refined fuel systems are much more sensitive.
2 of the 3 tanks of bad fuel I have gotten are from places where big rigs fill up
also avoid walmart/costco like the plague. I have seen pictures of tanks from there that are orange and there are large particles of asphaltenes floating in it
for the crappiness of north american diesel i recommend some aftermarket filtration. i run an adapter that allows me to use any filter for a certain CAT filter head. 3 micron absolute donaldson filters for $6.50, big improvement over 4 micron nominal and 35 dollar stocker
I have recently checked in with a locally/family owned fuel company about putting in my own tank so I do not have to deal with bad fuel issues. He also warned me about the truck stops. They are not in the market to sell you the best fuel. They buy the cheapest theycan find to make money. He also said the cetane is not like octane. Cetane only comes into play on start up and until the engine is up to temp. They sell regular and premium diesel. The difference in the two, premium has the additives regular does not. I am trying out their fuel now and I hope to have my tank soon.
NewLyme is offline   Reply With Quote