www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 4th, 2011, 23:06   #16
BleachedBora

The numbers I have are from corporate emails and usually have two sources to back them up. However, with rising prices I'm hearing of what appears to be more and more small (local one owner) branded stations sucumming to the temptation to use an off brand supplier to save $$ and compete.
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 23:19   #17
Dieselfitter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.7mpg@110kph

Best diesel fuel is any 'gas' station in Europe !

The Title says 'Best Diesel Fuel', not 'Best Diesel Fuel in North America'

Well?
Dieselfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:51   #18
sweetjeep
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post
Not true. For example, BP has a refinery in Whiting, IN that only produces their Premium Diesel products (per the owner of a station I used to frequent in MI). As far as I know, the refining process is one way of upping the cetane.

Sorry Tom,

BP does have a refinery in IN (I'll assume you're correct there). But oil products often change hands between 2 and 5 times between production and delivery.

I have a friend who runs tug boats that bring fuel oil and lube oils from Texas to the east coast and they receive different orders of where it's going as much as 5 seperate times during the trip as to who currently owns the product on board. So Shell or BP may have refined it, but the oil companies trade product kids at a lunch table trade snacks.

Additives are generally added locally as they are frequently dependent on the region. For example - no one in Florida has probably ever heard of "winter" diesel.
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:25   #19
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjeep View Post
Sorry Tom,

BP does have a refinery in IN (I'll assume you're correct there). But oil products often change hands between 2 and 5 times between production and delivery.

I have a friend who runs tug boats that bring fuel oil and lube oils from Texas to the east coast and they receive different orders of where it's going as much as 5 seperate times during the trip as to who currently owns the product on board. So Shell or BP may have refined it, but the oil companies trade product kids at a lunch table trade snacks.

Additives are generally added locally as they are frequently dependent on the region. For example - no one in Florida has probably ever heard of "winter" diesel.
True, refinery products get traded like baseball cards. All additives (for gasoline and diesel) are added at the product distribution terminal.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 00:11   #20
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

There is a pipeline from the refinery at Whiting that goes to a terminal in Napoleon, MI. Wacker Oil has their own truck picking up 50 cetane diesel from Napoleon and bringing it to their tanks in Manchester, MI.

Sure, additives are applied at the loading rack in the terminal, but the higher cetane number comes from the refining process.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:19   #21
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post

Sure, additives are applied at the loading rack in the terminal, but the higher cetane number comes from the refining process.
All very true.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 19:40   #22
vwthingguy

For those of us who don't have an owners manual (mine was lost prior to buying at it new at the dealership 3 months ago, and yet to get one. The dealership says VW only prints 1 per car and no extras...) what DOES it say about biodiesel? My tank says "Ultra Low Sulfur", no mention about straight or biodiesel.
vwthingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 21:55   #23
bluelineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwthingguy View Post
For those of us who don't have an owners manual (mine was lost prior to buying at it new at the dealership 3 months ago, and yet to get one. The dealership says VW only prints 1 per car and no extras...) what DOES it say about biodiesel? My tank says "Ultra Low Sulfur", no mention about straight or biodiesel.
My 2011 Jetta manual says up to 5% biodiesel.
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:55   #24
Meanstreak

The cheapest. :d
Meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 14:11   #25
t1n0m3n

TDI(s): Golf

I travel between Tulsa and Chicago a lot. I notice quite a bit of difference in MPG between Petro and BP fuel in my car. Also, by using BP, I stay away from the "it might be B5 or it might be B20, who knows!?" diesel around here.
Petro=I struggle for 37mpg
BP=I struggle for 41mpg
All speeds are a cruise controlled 65 mph on I55.
Both MPG figures have been repeated multiple times by both fuels.

However anecdotal my evidence may be, I am convinced through my methods that my car just likes BP much better. Each time: 1. I fill to the same spot in the filler neck every time. 2. I calculate MPG with my calculator.

Interestingly enough, I can guess my overall MPG because the car computer has never failed yet to be 1.1 to 1.3 MPG higher than actual MPG.
t1n0m3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 18:18   #26
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

BP/Amoco is the only true "premium" (as in Amoco Premier Diesel) 47 cetane that I know of in the DC region. Shell sells both 45 cetane "premium" and 40 cetane "premium".
Everyone else (Exxon, Chevron, Sunoco, Liberty) I've noticed sells 40 cetane, and most of them call it "premium."
Old February 6th, 2012, 18:44   #27
jbright
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.7 mpg average, 95% suburban

Here in Indiana we have CountryMark -- http://www.countrymark.com/pdr.cfm.
Their Premium-R diesel is 50 cetane and HFRR 460 (lower if you use the Premium with bio-diesel added that's sold at many of their stations). Nice, too, to know its made from crude that comes from wells in Indiana/Illinois, and is refined in Indiana and distributed by their own network. More jobs right here.

Last edited by jbright; February 6th, 2012 at 18:52.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:37   #28
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG

Irving diesel, sold in canada and new england, has a cetane rating of 48 and a wear scar in the mid 300's (latest test out of portland had a wear scar of 360).

that's in the dead of winter.
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:15   #29
lilspoon

TDI(s): 2004 jetta
Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly

Thortons in the ky area has had the best milage in other diesels that I have owned.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:26   #30
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

I can make better fuel than the trash that comes out of Colorado pumps.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote