www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old April 30th, 2013, 20:00   #46
sardo_67
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38mpg (driving like i stole it)

well i totaled out the silver car in january, combo of a hill, snow, ice, summer tires, and a tree....

ripped apart the driver axle and the passanger is just old i'm guessing, anything with an O2M will work right? i was looking at ones for the 6spd MK4s or the Audi TT, am i correct on this?

the tranny is going into my new car, i found a steel braided clutch line before and thought i posted it but can't find it now. is that something i should get or just go with bending the stock line to make it work?
sardo_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:59   #47
Ephry

I may do this to the jetta. I wonder if I can send the OP the shift forks for the rivet fixes.

E
Ephry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:23   #48
billymade

There is a NEW better option for the shift forks now; they have all STEEL versions made by Volkswagen, to replace the steel/bronze ones. You can get these through USP Motorsports and APTuning. These are 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/SteelS...-02M/02Q-.html

http://www.aptuning.com/index.php?pa...hk=1&Itemid=14
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:26   #49
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
There is a NEW better option for the shift forks now; they have all STEEL versions made by Volkswagen, to replace the steel/bronze ones. You can get these through USP Motorsports and APTuning. These are 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th.
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/SteelS...-02M/02Q-.html
http://www.aptuning.com/index.php?pa...hk=1&Itemid=14
The little clear rubber / plastic bits wear on these, making it hard to get gears. They used them on Vauxhalls and one of our mechanics said they gave nothing but problems.

Just my 2p :-)

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 18:21   #50
billymade

ryanp, thanks for the info; that was one thing, that I was concerned about. The 02M; here in the states, has these steel/bronze shift forks with the rivets that keep failing. I contacted; the vendors, that are selling these and they acted like it was not a issue but you seem to indicate that they are. Thanks for the heads up; what do you, recommend as an alternative? The originals; had the bronze, to wear against the steel selector... I am assuming this softer metal against the steel was less prone to galling with metal/metal contact. Issues like this; I find it so frustrating when VW doesn't make a solid part that isn't failure prone, why would you put plastic in a part like a transmission... that they KNOW is going to wear and cause problems? I think the strength of the steel fork; is the way to go but the plastic at the wear/contact areas, just doesn't make sense! Come on VW!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 19:39   #51
sardo_67
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38mpg (driving like i stole it)

If you have the trans apart and do what I did I see no reason this would fail on you. Unless you are just abusing your car and transmission, slamming gears, missing shifts ect.

As for shift forks failing, this happen to daily drivers that are driven normally or usually by people racing or driving hard?
sardo_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 13:07   #52
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
On mine, I also had to remove this guy to get the tower out
"This guy" caught me by surprise... I did not test it with a magnet and it IS NOT MADE OF STEEL! All of the case bolts in my 02M were steel... I have a GUC code gearbox from a Seat Ibiza.

SO, my first attempt to remove it with a 12-point 16mm socket turned into an accelerated learning experience. The bolt was rounded almost instantly. Crap.

Fight fire with fire, I say. I took a 15mm 12-point and a hammer so that I could perform a broaching operation on the round aluminum bolt head.

It's not pretty, but at least I can keep on muddling through the job.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 19:19   #53
dirtride
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Fuel Economy: mid to upper 40's

How much if any, would this "how to" apply to an O2J LSD install?

After some research, I see that pretty much just drilling out the ring rivets applies.....

Hmm, interesting.

03 GOLF ~ GLS ALH EGR (turned it into a mutt)
00 F-350 ~ 7.3 PSD 4WD ZF-6 XLT LBCC (modified, not a mutt)

Last edited by dirtride; January 7th, 2014 at 17:35. Reason: New knowledge
dirtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:07   #54
hotshot25120

TDI(s): none

Im gonna replace my LSD in my mk6 o2Q transmission soon and I have some questions about the install.

First sorry for my poor english its not my primary language.

1- I will not do the shift folks do I need to remove all the gear inside the transmission or I can just open the transmission remove the old diff, put the new one back and seal the transmission.

2- I think the transmission output flange are spring hold how hard is the get them back in ?

3- I think I need to grind the transmission case a little bit for the wavetrack lsd to fit is it true ?

4- repair manual say I need to preload the dial to 1mm and reset it to calculate the diff preload how I suppose to do that ?

Thanks

Last edited by hotshot25120; January 19th, 2014 at 07:06.
hotshot25120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 20:48   #55
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
There is a NEW better option for the shift forks now; they have all STEEL versions made by Volkswagen, to replace the steel/bronze ones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
The little clear rubber / plastic bits wear on these, making it hard to get gears. They used them on Vauxhalls and one of our mechanics said they gave nothing but problems...
Just ran across this issue with a customer car this week. Car is a 2012 Golf with only ~70K miles on it and it would not shift into first gear at all. I double checked the shifter linkage for wear and adjustment, no issues. Pulled it apart and found this:

All the shift forks are the "updated" all welded steel versions in this 02Q except for reverse. The 1/2 and the 3/4 shift forks were trashed. The center plastic bit on the 3/4 was completely gone. I replaced with OE not having any good alternatives that I could find.

I have a feeling this won't be the last "updated" 02Q shift fork replacement I do.

Last edited by A5INKY; May 6th, 2015 at 20:59.
A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 08:22   #56
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

That is why I actually prefer the brass 02M forks and advise against people putting in the "upgraded all steel" 02Q forks. Brass will out wear plastic any day of the week.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 16:15   #57
v8 coupe
Veteran Member

Matt, can you do an LSD on an 02Q 4motion box? If so send me a pm with the details etc.
09 Rabbit S now a TDI AWD.
91 200 20vt Avant
v8 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 16:22   #58
Redneck Truck
Gone, but not forgotten

Just make sure you buy the 4motion version of the differential. I did mine myself and you can too.

Please help me clear out my garage. PM me.
Redneck Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 17:25   #59
v8 coupe
Veteran Member

I'm a bit laid up still and I'll need it with my vp4.2 fed CR140 with 300hp. Might be an animal on twisty roads.
09 Rabbit S now a TDI AWD.
91 200 20vt Avant
v8 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:43   #60
blownaway
Veteran Member

Reviving this one. Can I safely run a used RyanP 02m for awhile without these fixes?
VNT17, Kerma Downpipe and Tuned
Stage 2 Endurance .68 5th Totaled..building my 2002
blownaway is offline   Reply With Quote