Flywheels

jjwarb

TDI
2006 Jetta - 227,000 miles+
I have a new sachs clutch but I am concerned now that my DMF is bad.
Does anyone know of a solid Flywheel to work with the sachs clutch.
What is the differance in them as to why The sachs will not work?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
SMF and DMF clutch discs are not interchangeable. You will have to get a new disc, pressure plate, and flywheel.

Sachs does make a nice, affordable set. It's a shame you'll have to do all that work over again, but you may be able to sell the disc and pressure plate.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
flywheel 028105269B will fit along with clutch kit 037198141. It is a 20ish lb single mass unit. The flywheel will be prohibitively expensive unless you go aftermarket; which is fine, but double check the TDC mark. Expect to pay about $200 for the flywheel and 200-250 for the clutch kit.

You can also use clutch kit 021198141A, but since that kit is for a 6 cylinder engine, it will rattle slightly at idle as the disc has the incorrect harmonics for a TDI. Works fine though.

I've also had good luck with the LUK clutch/FW dieselgeek is selling; as well as the SouthBend line, but since these are based on a 021198141A kit, you get that light rattle from the disc.

Popular rumor here has it that the 021 clutch will hold more torque than the 037; but the PP is the same by part number, and the disc has the same lining; so you be the judge.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what clutch came with the A3s? They had SMFs with a similar trans and they do not rattle.

jjwarb

TDI
I am a little confused, I stated I already have the new sachs clutch. I am looking for a SMF to work with it if possible. Thanks for the help

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I think they told you that your clutch kit for the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) will not fit on any available SMF (Single Mass Flywheel). It is designed to only bolt up to the DMF. The bolt holes will not match, is one thing! There may be other reasons, such was flywheel face area (215mm vs 228mm). And, there are dowels that must align which in turn align the bolt holes..........

Have you actually installed your clutch kit? Why do you think the DMF is bad?

If you have DMF out, check for "axial play" in the two halves. Should be rather tight.

Also, lay it on the floor and see if the back and forth movement is over about 20mm. Put your foot on it and twist back and forth......measure the distance of movement. If more than 20mm, the springs inside are worn to spec limit.

jjwarb

TDI
New problem with new car

I now have a 2006 tdi with a dsg transmission. The flywheel is make quite a bit of noise. Am I stuck with the dmf or can a smf be installed

ugenetoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 03 wagons one 03 sedan All manual TDIs
2003 TDI Jetta 5 SPM.

I do a lot of towing, and have never been happy with the starting power of my TDI.
What are the options if, and, when I decide to replace my clutch and flywheel?
Are there some heavier flywheel options available?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
G60 Flywheel

2003 TDI Jetta 5 SPM.

I do a lot of towing, and have never been happy with the starting power of my TDI.
What are the options if, and, when I decide to replace my clutch and flywheel?
Are there some heavier flywheel options available?
Of the clutch packages that I've installed the following parts compliment the ALH / BEW very well.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////
028-105-269-B G60 flywheel (A-3 or B-4 TDI engine)
021-198-141-A Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit
N-902-061-03 Flywheel bolts (Qty. 6)
N-101-010-01 Clutch / Pressure Plate bolts (Qty. 6)
02J-141-719-C Clutch Leaver (Qty. 1)
012-141-741 Leaver Spring (Qty. 1)
02A-141-777 Ball Stud/ Pin (Qty. 1)
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
No noise, Clutch pedel travel is the same as the orignal DMF.
As far as towing with this clutch kit you'll have no problems.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
It's the one that aNUT mentioned above. It has been posted on these forums a zillion times. The MKIII Sachs TDI clutch kit (K70038-01) is the same pressure plate and lining as the VR6 kit but it makes absolutely no noise because it is for a 4 cylinder engine as opposed to a 6.