www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:58   #1
southbostontdi

Default "Engine Fault Workshop"

So..I have an '09 TDI Jetta Sedan. No issues thus far. Just shy of 30K miles.

Yesterday, I came out after work to drive home I tried to start my engine. Glow plug lit up and went out as normal. When I turned the key, the engine turned over a couple of times and then stopped. The MFD then read "Engine Fault Workshop" and the glow plug light blinked a couple of times.

It did this a few more times and finally I got it started. Today it seems to be fine.

Anyone know what this is? Is it the dreaded HPFP issue?
southbostontdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:58   #2
gpshumway
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Unlikely to be the HPFP if it's running fine now. HPFP failures are terminal. Could be the intercooler water/ice buildup issue. See the "Cold Start/Scare" thread or the "Another Iced up Intercooler" thread.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:14   #3
southbostontdi

THnaks...from what's in that thread, it sounds like that is my problem.
southbostontdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:51   #4
gpshumway
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Glad to help. I just hope you (and everyone else) gets resolution on the issue.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 17:33   #5
Hayvern

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default 2009 Engine Fault Workshop

Hello, I've had a problem starting my TDI since December 2010, have had it to the dealer on 4 different occasions and now in for 5th time. Won't start, seems like plenty of battery but engine doesn't see to be getting fuel. Cranks but won't fire, finally battery seems to drain almost to the point of being dead. Let car sit, repeat starting while pumping gas pedal and car starts, stalls and finally runs about a 30 minute process each time. Very last time at dealer (2/24/11) they Re pin mass air flow sensor and seemed to cure the problem, today (2/13/12) same problem, immediately returned to dealership, we'll see what they say. Each time the code on the display is "Engine Fault Workshop" yet dealers says their computer doesn't have such an error code and they don't know what causes it. Anyone know a cure?
Hayvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 21:55   #6
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

I think "Engine Fault Workshop" translated to German is Kaput! Were temps below freezing each time?

There are many reasons for crank but no start, but the only one I know that doesn't throw a code is iced intercooler. I suggest pulling the bottom IC hose and see how much pours out and may save yourself from a major engine repair. Don't expect your dealer to be wise to the ways of the TDI.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:32   #7
DogParkGuy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

Isn't there a thread dedicated to starting problems?
DogParkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:36   #8
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Sadly, there are SEVERAL threads going on at once. Impossible to keep all the info straight...

Time for a sticky re: Intercooler icing problems/no start
Old February 14th, 2012, 17:24   #9
Hayvern

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default 2009 Engine Fault Workshop

So I take my 09 TDI to the dealership today for the 5th time since Dec 2010 for the Engine Fault Workshop error and starting problem. Asst Svc Mgr calls back and acts as clueless as the last 4 times I took it in. I informed him Iíll be invoking the lemon law and calling VW next and I inform him to Google 09 TDI EFW code and read the volumes about the problem on the internet. Within an hour I get a call back saying the dealership will be replacing my Intercooler and vacuum pump. I had a small oil leak also previously reported and VP seal was replaced which didnít solve anything. Both the Intercooler and Vacuum pump and all labor will be covered under the warranty even though I currently have 78,000 miles on the vehicle. It really pays to do your research!
Hayvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:03   #10
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Ya, really. I suggest that if you want to go through life oblivious, than a a Dub really isn't for you. I think that if Toyota ever made a Diesel Corolla, I would be there. Could you imagine a car that's a Diesel and an appliance?
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:31   #11
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

ya, like Toyota has never made a diesel Corolla...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote