Fitting BV43 to Passat AFN - help appreciated please

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi all,

I (still) have a KKK BV43 turbo to go on my AFN 110bhp Passat (longitudinal) engine. I'm aiming for 200bhp. Its the biggest OEM turbo I can bolt straight on, and gets a sensible power that I believe the engine will be able to take. This is what I'm currently planning after some research:

Hardware:

a) BV43 turbo (off 2.0TDI 170bhp BVA/BRD Audi). Part no. 03G145702H. Mint condition, All looks good. Vacuum actuator checked. Compressor blades mint. Not had exhaust side apart as it didn’t want to come apart....only done 40k miles though
b) Standard AFN injector bodies with Bosio R520 5 hole nozzles, pop tested.
c) Ported AFN head. Head skim, 3 angle valve seat, port match manifolds.
d) 7mm valves (as opposed to my current type with 8mm stems). Who makes the OEM valves please? Which engines did the 7mm type come on?
d) Rosten double valve springs (+30% over the single springs I have). Comments on whether these are worth fitting please?
e) PD engine lifters/tappets (the black coated ones). Who makes the OEM items? Are these the best type to go for?
f) 3 bar MAP sensor.
g) Decat pipe – already fitted.
h) PD130 Passat inlet manifold, fully cleaned of gunk.
i) EGR delete, race pipe mod with boost gauge boss.
j) ARP head studs. Required for this power?
k) New gaskets all round – OEM items.
l) Boost gauge – suggestions please? Nothing too expensive, but stepper type with blue/red backlight to match interior required. Seen them for about £45.
m) EGT gauge (there is a boss and sensor on my BV 43 turbo) butnot sure what voltage it requires etc. Any ideas?
n) Keep the current 5spd gearbox. Should be ok for 420Nm?
o) Stick with 228mm clutch but uprate. Southbend or similar. Suggestions please?
please. Something which holds 450Nm but feels stock.
p) Change to a single mass flywheel? Suggestions/comments here please.

Software:
- To give 1.7bar max boost, so ~25psi. Sensible for this turbo I believe (19psi standard)
Other questions:
1) Will my stock AFN crank/rods/pistons take this increase in power?
2) Are the R520 5 holes the best option for this power level in terms of efficiency/EGTs?
3) Is a new OEM head gasket sufficient? Or are there better gaskets I can fit?
4) Will changing my OEM side mount intercooler give any real benefit? FMIC required? Is pressure drop and efficiency data available for intercoolers?
5) Pipes – do any OEM pipes work with my installation, or do I need custom pipes to/from turbo?
6) Is it a good idea to drop the compression ratio with PD100 pistons? What max combustion pressure is safe please?
7) Anything else required? 11mm fuel pump? Lift pump? Will i achieve 200bhp with a 10mm item? Or will it be asking too much of the pump?
8) While the head is off, i can look at the cylinder and piston conditions. What is the upper limit on bore wear please before it becomes an issue? 79.5mm is nominal I believe.
9) What tools do i need for cambelt timing on the AFN and any installation tips for fitting turbo (how to run in the head, ensure oil supply to turbo on first startup etc etc)
Any help is greatly appreciated, I have numbered the items so its easier to see which comments you’re referring to in your replies.
Many thanks

Last edited:

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
Your car has a 10mm pump head stock, so you'll definitely want to go bigger: 150-160 is about the limit of a 10mm pump and it won't be happy there. Probably 12mm would be good, and a lift pump in the tank to feed it. I don't know enough about the rest of your plan to be able to comment reliably. Good luck with it - sounds like it'll be a fun car when you're done.

catalyn21

TDI
Passat 1.9 tdi Syncro
Hello,
The bv-43 is set to run 1,7 bar in my car, passat sedan afn 1999 Syncro
1.The internals will hold on the power for sure!
2. I have pp764 so i dont know the answer
3.-
4. i just got an intercooler from XSPOWER 46X16X9 cm core and 69cm in total lenght with 63mm in and out, but i'm still waiting for the pipes!
5. If you stay with the smic you dont have to change any pipe, just the out pipe from turbo will take a little struule to get in because is smaller, but it will get in in he end!
6. - I dont know
7. it's good to change th head with 11mm( i dont have it yet), if you have the syncro version the lift pump is standard and no need to buy it.
8.- dont know
9. the standard tools, the turbo is 99,9% plug and play, the only thing is that the exhaust down pipe needs a liitle rotation and the heatshild near the actuator on the exhaust manifold needs triming or to be changed with golf 4 one, it's touching the turbo actuator.

The clutch has to be changed with stage 2-3 from spec, from ZF sachs the code is:
881864999961 and 883082999715
also the flywheel can be changed, i didnt change mine untill now.
3 bar map senzor is the standard version :038906051C
I also deleted the EGR but idont understand where you have a antishuder valve
i also want to know how can the senzor can be pluged to make a boost gauge or position gauge, it seems that we only need the cables and the schematics to understand what it's measuring.
Br,

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Thanks for the info. I've heard some people say they Struggle above 190bhp with the 10mm pump. don't really want to change to 11mm pump (due to cost reall) but would a lift pump from the PD engine a) install easily and b) help?

Catalyn21, what power and torque do you have from your AFN now please? :)

The antishudder valve is integral with the PD130 EGR valve housing that i've got. I was going to block off the EGr but keep the anti-shudder valve. Unless I just stick a race pipe on with integral boss for a boost gauge pressure sensor. Is it ok to remove the shudder valve? Do TDI's actually ever suffer from runaway?

We never got the syncro B5 TDI AFN over here - i'd love to have the 4wd!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
First of all how would you have the solinoid that actuates shuddard valve function? I am fairly certain that its controlled by the ECU on the cars that have them stock.

2nd I don't think (but I'm no expert) it will stop a car from a run away situation. It aids in shut down for a moment or two but then it opens up again.

catalyn21

TDI
Passat 1.9 tdi Syncro
I dont know the power for sure with all the mods now, i'm waiting to install the fmic in march and after this i will make a concludent Dyno to see, but on dyno is 4wd so the losses are bigger! i will post the dyno once i'll do it!
The lift pump is a major +, i've looked on the internet for pd lift pump and in the day that i made the order for one i discovered that my car has it from factory, the price is around 200$ for a new one but if i didnt have it for sure i'll buy one , it helps on high rpm when the pump is strugling to get fuel!
hope this helps,
Br,

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
good point on the shudder valve - i assumed i had one in my B5 AFN but looking at it I don't think I do. If so, I can go ahead with the Race pipe and not feel bad about it :)

Just got me some R520 injectors and a 3bar MAP sensor, a PD lift pump sounds like a good idea. Difficult to fit?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Ok yes you're right no anti shudder valve so will go for the EGR delete race pipe with boost gauge boss. I've highlighted the questions above and below that I have in red, could anyone help with the questions still outstanding at all, please?

does a PD lift pump from the PD130 Passat B5.5 plug straight into my fuel tank, is it an easy install? is it part no. 4B0 906 087 AN please?

The PD130 intercooler pipe seem much bigger than my AFN, is it worth me putting bigger pipes on or even use the PD130 pipes?

many thanks as always,

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You worry too much mate, throw the darn thing on and worry and fix the problems later on ! Its been a few months you keep asking the same questions, don't take it the wrong way but the way i see-it you'll sell the car before you'll have a chance to fit-it on ! Wanna sell the turbo ?:D

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
ha ha!

I'm only asking the same questions as i'm still waiting for the answers! ;)

I do appreciate all the help i've had so far. When you start looking into it as a newbie there are lots of questions - i have had a good search but some things are not 100% clear or there are conflicting answers at times.

I'm getting there - I've now got the turbo, injectors with R520 nozzles arriving soon, 3 bar MAP sensor, PD130 inlet manifold and EGR delete pipe all sorted. The 2nd cylinder head I have throws up new questions on the potential for 7mm valves and PD lifters, rosten springs, porting options.... then i still need a clutch....

Software and installation wise I have a few questions too, so anyhelp on the questions above is appreciated, as always. The parts won't be fitted until Easter so good opportunity to get more info before then hopefully. Its also my only car so need to have all the bits ready to go for a quick, downtime-free swap.

thanks

Last edited:

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
d) Rosten double valve springs (+30% over the single springs I have). Comments on whether these are worth fitting please?
>> my AHU had double springs stock, now running an AFN head (same thing)

e) PD engine lifters/tappets (the black coated ones). Who makes the OEM items? Are these the best type to go for?
>> the black ones seen to stronger indeed

7f) 3 bar MAP sensor.
>> internal: www.mtron.de
>> external: OEM part

i) EGR delete, race pipe mod with boost gauge boss.
>> the Golf racepipe will be too long...

j) ARP head studs. Required for this power?
>> nope... altough Johan installed stronger bolts he gets made somewhere

l) Boost gauge – suggestions please? Nothing too expensive, but stepper type with blue/red backlight to match interior required. Seen them for about £45.
m) EGT gauge (there is a boss and sensor on my BV 43 turbo) butnot sure what voltage it requires etc. Any ideas?
>> the VDO one is a nice OEM looking one... get one without vacuum as your tdi will never draw a vacuum...

n) Keep the current 5spd gearbox. Should be ok for 420Nm?
>> yep

o) Stick with 228mm clutch but uprate. Southbend or similar. Suggestions please?
please. Something which holds 450Nm but feels stock.
>> I run an AWX flywheel with SachsRaceEngineering pressureplate with Sachs plate

p) Change to a single mass flywheel? Suggestions/comments here please.
>> best clutch for a single mass (AHU) flywheel from SRE holds only 370Nm

1) Will my stock AFN crank/rods/pistons take this increase in power?
>> yes

2) Are the R520 5 holes the best option for this power level in terms of efficiency/EGTs?
>> yes

3) Is a new OEM head gasket sufficient? Or are there better gaskets I can fit?
>> OEM 3 hole is what I am running

4) Will changing my OEM side mount intercooler give any real benefit? FMIC required? Is pressure drop and efficiency data available for intercoolers?
>> FMIC will hold your power when things warm up... not give more power...

5) Pipes – do any OEM pipes work with my installation, or do I need custom pipes to/from turbo?
>> stock is OK

6) Is it a good idea to drop the compression ratio with PD100 pistons? What max combustion pressure is safe please?
>> I run PD100 pistons only because a had an original one fail

7) Anything else required? 11mm fuel pump? Lift pump? Will i achieve 200bhp with a 10mm item? Or will it be asking too much of the pump?
>> Johan has made 225bhp on a 10mm pump... but I will help fitting an 11mm IP

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
has anyone fitted a pd130 passat b5.5 lift pump to a passat B5?
yep, well an Audi B5...
the fuelgauge will be reversed... there seem to be liftpumps which have a double connection so you can choose which way the resistance builds...

JW

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
thanks for the info,

the allard egr delete pipe or similar should be fine as per here I believe:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=298788

the golf version would be too long?

would you know the part number of your pd lift pump please? (do any of the Pd130/150 lift pumps from golf/bora/passat etc fit my B5 passat?)

still hoping the AVF PD130 6spd 240mm DMF clutch will fit on mine - as I do have one. Otherwise the AWX DMF holds 450nm?

many thanks

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Does anybody know what the compressor housing's outlet and inlet outside diameter is?

ASHIHARA

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1,9TDI AVF SPORT QUATTRO
I don`t know the diameter size,but is the same like VNT17 from 1,9tdi 131hp.