www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 21st, 2011, 18:46   #1
holechit

Default Transmission or Torque Converter ~ You Decide?

Hello All ~ Here we go again... Another newbie with what he believes is a torque converter problem. I'm looking for you guru's out there to jump in and show me the light. :-)

I'm not a mechanic just a DIY. Here's what I've got: 2002 Jetta 1.9l TDI, auto transmission, with 267,000 original miles. I've only had one mechanical problem in all these miles, alternator. I perform the normal engine and transmission oil changes and that's all I've had to do. Car is bone stock and been great!

Here my issue. Upon startup the car makes a “rattling” sound from the transmission area but after 4 or 5 minutes it goes away (warms up). I'm thinking it's the torque converter??? I do smell a “burnt” oil smell after the car has been driven. I changed out the transmission fluid and filter using my VAGCOM and the condition did't improve. I also didn’t’ find anything abnormal in the trany pan or inside the trany filter. I’m also throwing a torque converter malfunction lock up code. I clear the code but it always seems to come back? I’m also experiencing the TC staying lockup on occasion when cold and killing the motor when I engage into drive or reverse. The transmission never seems to miss a beat and shifts good at any speed. No slippage or shifting problems that I can feel.

I need some guru knowledge. Thanks in advance for your help.
holechit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:48   #2
holechit

Anyone?
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:51   #3
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

There's a member here called CoolAirVW who's a transmission guru. Might shoot him a PM in case he hasn't seen your thread. From what I've read on here, 267k is pretty much miraculous longevity for your transmission.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:16   #4
CmdrData
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

No guru here but have heard numerious 01M auto trannies went self destruct at early age. Consider you got 267k miles before having problem and kept getting TC malfunction lock up code, might be a good time to take it in to a trusted mechanic to have a look. Check the Trusted Mechanic sticky and look for someone in your region.

2001 Golf TDI GLS
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
CmdrData is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:23   #5
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

I'll let Richard (CoolAirVW) give you most of the advice but where I would start is by checking that the TC solenoid is operating correctly by manually operating it with VCDS.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:54   #6
holechit

Still no update. I've just parked the car for the time being until I figure out what the problem might be. Thanks
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:19   #7
simbolo
Veteran Member

I would start saving up for a replacement. Mine gave me:

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
04-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

tried to change fluid and filter but it was too far gone already, totally neglected by previous owner, and looked like it was hit with the bash guard dented. Within 2 months it was totally shot and the TC would not lock. Drove 50mph at 3,500 rpm.

$4,500 later I was back on the road with a new one, just changed the ATF and diff oil at 80K miles, going forward I think I will change ATF at 50K hopefully it will last as long as yours did.

in short, I feel your pain.... good luck

Last edited by simbolo; March 17th, 2011 at 07:23.
simbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:23   #8
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I second the CoolAirVW rcommendation; its been close to a month now.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:38   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

At 267k you did good, that trans doesn't owe you a thing!

As always, check the control side bits first, especially the round plug atop the trans for corrosion, bad connections, etc.

While it is possible the TC solenoid could be sticking, it is also quite possible the converter itself is failing. It could also be the wiring harness in the transmission, also quite common.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:51   #10
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

I'm a day late and dollar short. Anybody got a dollar?

I'll 2nd TCC solenoid (I think I allready told him this in an e-mail).
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 17:45   #11
holechit

After conferring with CoolAirVw, I'm going to start with replacing the solenoid and see how things go? I'd like to see if I can limp this tranny by until July or so then do the 6 speed conversion. The solenoid may be a bit of a gamble perhaps but I think I'm going to give it a try.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:10   #12
holechit

I received my new TCC solenoid and removal tool from CoolAirVw. Thanks for the quick shipping.

I found some time yesterday to drop the trans pan and change out the TCC solenoid. I took the car for a 40 mile test drive and things have greatly improved. Smooth shifts and no locked up TC codes. So I believe the problem has been fixed but I will need to put put some miles on to make sure the code doesn't come back.

Thanks for all the support and great knowledge.
Tim
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:38   #13
oilhammer

I got my fingers crossed for ya!
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:09   #14
holechit

Well the news is NOT good. I changed out the TCC solenoid and fluid/filter this past week hoping it would help my transmissions/TC problems but I still has issues.

When the car is cold everything is great but after 20 minutes or so of city driving the TC code comes back as does the rattling noises and poor shifts from the tranny. I think I'm going to give in and put in a new transmission. Maybe a manual swap?

Thoughts?
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:18   #15
oilhammer

Check the round connector closely atop the transmission...check the trans wire harness closely, especially the ribbon part. If that all looks good, with no corrosion or messed up pins, then I think you'll need to install a 01M-300-032-GX.