www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:23   #1
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

Default floor is wet on passenger side

I have a 2 door 2001 TDI - I recently noticed that the floor underneath my floor mat on the passenger side is wet - the floor mat itself is dry (except the underside which touches the floor) - trying to diagnose where the 'water' (or whatever liquid it is) is coming from - it seems that it is coming from just above the floor under the glovebox. any ideas what this could be?? there is some black plastic under there that appeared to be wet. i checked the floor because I heard a strange sound when I was driving one day....sounded like water trickling/running.
Got Haggis? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 13:11   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Does your car have a sunroof? The most common cause of water getting VWs is clogged sunroof drain lines. Every sunroof has four drain lines and the front two go down the A-Pillar (between the windshield and the front doors). A clogged or disconnected drain line can cause the problem you describe. Cleaning them out can be a pain, but it is not too difficult. String trimmer line (like a weed-whacker) works. You need to find the end of the drain line in the front wheel well, IIRC) and feed the line up through the hose 'till it reaches the sunroof.

If you do not have a sunroof, it could be leaking around your windshield.

Good Luck

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 13:20   #3
JayT
Veteran Member

you should definitely listen to the first post. But I seem to recall the location of water where you describe having something to do with the outside sill where the cabin filter is located?

Someone will chime in about this or do a search...

2003 Golf TDI 4-door GLS, Rocketchip stage 2, Boostvalve, Scangauge, LED city lights, euroswitch, Panzer skid plate - SOLD
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 14:01   #4
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

You also want to check the drain for the area under the grill right in front of the windscreen. Leaves etc. can collect in there. It also often gives off a mold smell if it is not cleaned out.
Old February 14th, 2011, 14:42   #5
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

I do not have a sun roof. I do wonder if it is the cabin filter, because now that I think about it, I recently had my oil change..and they took out my cabin filter to try to get me to have them change it, which I declined..and was sort of pissed off they messed with it anyway - I'll check that - thanks for the thought!
Old February 14th, 2011, 14:52   #6
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

The cowl drain on my Jetta drains into the space containing the door hinges. You might pour some water into your cowl (by the wipers) with the doors open, and make sure the water is coming out in the right place.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 15:46   #7
joetdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
I do not have a sun roof. I do wonder if it is the cabin filter, because now that I think about it, I recently had my oil change..and they took out my cabin filter to try to get me to have them change it, which I declined..and was sort of pissed off they messed with it anyway - I'll check that - thanks for the thought!
They did not put the cover back on right over the pollen filter and/or broke it.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 16:52   #8
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

The seals on those filters are not designed for re-use. They should not be removed between changes. They may not seal properly the second time.
Old February 14th, 2011, 21:13   #9
plugger
Veteran Member

I would check the cover for cracks. Mine got a crack in it once when I changed the filter and I did not know it and it caused the same problem. Drove me nuts trying to chase it down.
plugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 21:14   #10
mlemorie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Avg: 43-44

The pollen filters dont have a foam seal like the engine air filters do. However I do believe there is a foam-rubber seal under the filter "box" that could be showing its age. Ill have to look up how to remove the box to be sure if there is or not. I know B5 passats had a recall to fix this issue. Make sure your cowl is draining.
mlemorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:16   #11
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

update - I went away for a few days when we had like 3" of rain. Well I came back to about an inch of water in my car - both in the passenger side front and back...drivers side is completely dry.

looking at my car, I noticed the weather stripping was missing from the back half of the passengers side...think this could be it? (just as a reminder I have a 2001 VW Golf - 2 door) If so, is there a good place I can by new weather stripping?

I'm trying to get the water out by using towels to soak up everything....aside from mildew, is there anything else I should be concerned about? this is so annoying
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:19   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You might want to buy a cheap generic car cover for when it is raining if you don't fix it soon.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:36   #13
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

I live in the city, with street parking only. car cover not an option, especially in Baltimore

the other thing is, I can hear water sloshing around when I turn corners..coming from under the glovebox area...not from the floor where the standing water is...and when I turned up the air, it sounded like maybe it was in the vents
Old March 14th, 2011, 18:47   #14
csstevej
Veteran Member

Read posts #7 & #9 above , that's where your problem lies. The sloshing sound you hear is the water that leaked through the pollen filter and is sitting in the resistor pack. If you don't fix this soon you will have to replace the resistor for about $60.00. Pull the glove box compartment and take the two screws out from the bottom where the blower fan sits. Your resistor pack sits there, see what condition it's in. If the pack is all rusted or cracked please replace it otherwise your will have fan speed problems.
Old March 16th, 2011, 13:18   #15
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

i don't know why i didn't do this sooner, but i finally opened up the cabin filter...the initial plastic over was fine and screwed into place - but once i took that off, the filter was kind of jammed in there , not seated properly and wasn't attached to it's "housing". i guess this could do it...although i'm not sure how water would get into the backseat if this were the only issue. I replaced the filter and properly seated it - and now have towels soaking up the water. hopefully this will fix the problem.