oil in the intercooler

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
took off the intercooler and poured out about nearly half cup or oil.

Easy fix or is it my turbo thats shot. Car has 16x thousand miles

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Welcome to the Club Racing4fun....noticed that you are a Newbie!

Blow-by and all the oil spraying inside the engine creates a condition that oil becomes atomized like a cloud (mist) and is sucked thru the ventilation system via the air intake system....... it goes thru the compressor side of the Turbo on to the Intercooler and finally into the cylinders via the Intake manifold. On the way, some of the oil mist settles in the Intercooler...........thus what you found.

As one poster explained, as long as the oil level on the dip stick is not dropping like a rock, your engine/turbo is just fine......

At 281k miles, I check my oil about every other tank of fuel (once in 1500 miles).......not much to worry about!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
agree w/ above. Personally, given the miles on my car, I check the oil more often- figure it's easy insurance to catch something early if the oil level begins to drop.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

My car (with original turbo) has 355,000 miles and it does the same thing. I build up an ounce of oil per 1K miles driven, and drain the intercooler about every 3K or so just to keep and eye on it and make sure it doesn't build up. Babying the car will build up slightly more oil than keeping it running at a normal rpm range and shifting at 2,400 rpm to 3,100 rpm. Since having my car chipped with the RC2+, so it boosts at 18 psi now (instead of the stock 11 psi), it has built up a lot less oil than it used to.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I was thinking last night of drilling a hole in the bottom of the intercooler, taping it for 1/8" NPT and putting a plug. Would make it easier to drain vs removing it.

Make any sense?

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
I was thinking last night of drilling a hole in the bottom of the intercooler, taping it for 1/8" NPT and putting a plug. Would make it easier to drain vs removing it.

Make any sense?
As long as it is sealed and can withstand the pressure from boost (which isn't much in all reality on a stock TDI) should be just fine. Yes that makes sense and then you don't have to pull the tubing apart and jack it all up to "pour out" the oil.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...Make any sense?
Probably a lot better than my idea, which would have been to simply drill a tiny (.010 or less) hole at the lowest point and let the boost blow it out. But that would make a mess as well as put an oil slick on a drive wheel, so I haven't. But your idea would work. Sounds good to me, anyway.

For me, I don't worry about it other than remembering to catch what comes out when I do a timing belt or any other operation where that pipe needs disconnecting. Winding it up on occasion during normal driving seems to prevent accumulation of excessive condensate there.

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
Blow-by and all the oil spraying inside the engine creates a condition that oil becomes atomized like a cloud (mist) and is sucked thru the ventilation system via the air intake system.......

So your saying that I should find oil residue on the air intake side of the turbo? I havent looked but would be the first ive seen. But Ive only seen turbo diesel truck stuff.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Oil in the Intercooler

So your saying that I should find oil residue on the air intake side of the turbo? I havent looked but would be the first ive seen. But Ive only seen turbo diesel truck stuff.
Yes, the oil mist comes out of the Crankcase Ventilation System on top of the Valve Cover pan (top of engine)..............goes into the suction side of the intake system! Look at the air filter box....follow the black round corrigated pipe over behind the Intake Manifold....notice the connection from the smaller pipe coming off the Valve pan?

Well, that's where the VAST majority of the oil comes from that's inside your Intercooler!

It goes thru the suction side of the turbo (Compressor) then travels down stream in the piping over to the Intercooler....goes in the bottom and out the top. During the trip thru the IC, some of the oil settles/drains to the bottom and pools there. The oil that doesn't settle out in the IC goes on into the Intake Manifold via the EGR. If the EGR is functional,,,,,,the added Exhaust Recirculation (EGR duty cycling) added to the oil will gradually add layers and layers of "crud" inside the Intake until it is almost plugged................in the Stickys, there is some good info...go read!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
An occasional "Italian tune-up" will blow out most of the oil that would otherwise collect in the intercooler. Most of us have never had to drain oil from that location.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Anyone know how thick the plastic is on the bottom of the intercooler? It feels fairly thick, but I don't want to find out after drilling it

Last edited:

Racing4funn

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Bio
I also like the idea of a drain plug in the intercooler. It would be good practice to drain it at each oil change

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
If you want to fix the problem at the source, you can install an oil catch can in line between the PCV and the intake (suction) side. I am looking at a unit from 42 something or another. (I will edit post with real name).

All boosted applications (That I know of) suffer from this. Ford Lightnings where terrible about it, but seeing as how they used a H20/Air IC, cleaning it involved pulling the blower off the truck, huge PITA.

Oil catch cans are the way to go. Not a perfect solution, a powerstroke owner installed one, after 40,000 there was no signs of oil in his cleaned out intercooler. I just cleaned out my intercooler, when I get a Oil Catch Can, I'll clean out all the hoses too.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Turbo applications vs NA

If you want to fix the problem at the source, you can install an oil catch can in line between the PCV and the intake (suction) side. I am looking at a unit from 42 something or another. (I will edit post with real name).

All boosted applications (That I know of) suffer from this. Ford Lightnings where terrible about it, but seeing as how they used a H20/Air IC, cleaning it involved pulling the blower off the truck, huge PITA.

Oil catch cans are the way to go. Not a perfect solution, a powerstroke owner installed one, after 40,000 there was no signs of oil in his cleaned out intercooler. I just cleaned out my intercooler, when I get a Oil Catch Can, I'll clean out all the hoses too.
The MK1 VWs (early model VW diesels) with or without Turbos, were notorious for dumping oil into the Intake System........ there was actually a recall on the 1.5 engines to added a vent pipe from the front side of the engine off the Vacuum Pump plumbing to deal with blow-by mist! Didn't help much!

I made an "oil catch can" for my 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel........ was somewhat functional! It performed better than the Dealer recall application.....in my opinion!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Drive the car properly and you won't have oil in the intercooler...seriously!

You are lugging the car around, failing to get on boost, short shifting and KILLING THE ENGINE in the process.

You Need to be shifting at 2500 when cold and around 3000 when warm.

Short shifting a TDI WILL ABSOLUTELY result in damage to the cylinder and lower compression, higher oil consumption, poorer fuel economy and eventually an engine that has compression below wear limits.

If you want to clean an intercooler out, FLOOR THE CAR!

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
My WRX and Talon got a little bit of oil in the intake, but not like the Jetta. Neither of my Cummins trucks did. When I pulled the intercooler tubing out of my 98 with about 200k on it they were nearly white glove clean.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
What's the best way to check for oil in the intercooler? I tried pulling apart the hard plastic tubing that goes to the intercooler but couldn't get them apart...am I looking in the right place?

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
What's the best way to check for oil in the intercooler? I tried pulling apart the hard plastic tubing that goes to the intercooler but couldn't get them apart...am I looking in the right place?
Just the tubes that attach to the intercooler with clamps. They might be a bit stubborn to get off.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Drive the car properly and you won't have oil in the intercooler...seriously!

You are lugging the car around, failing to get on boost, short shifting and KILLING THE ENGINE in the process.

You Need to be shifting at 2500 when cold and around 3000 when warm.

Short shifting a TDI WILL ABSOLUTELY result in damage to the cylinder and lower compression, higher oil consumption, poorer fuel economy and eventually an engine that has compression below wear limits.

If you want to clean an intercooler out, FLOOR THE CAR!
I agree and I never get more than a half a cup of oil when I change the timing belt. I can't believe you have to maintain it much more than that. 240K miles...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Some are like that. I generate about 3-4 ounces every 3-4K miles, and my brother's '96 B4 with 300K on it generates almost none. I shift mine properly and maintain it well, he abuses his, lugs the engine, and doesn't do any maintenance unless there is a problem.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Why do you think you need to check for oil in the intercooler? If you think there is some, then you can blow it out with an occasional Italian tune-up -- which is a good idea anyway.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Or it'll just go through in one big slug and create a runaway.

The Italian Tune Up doesn't create enough force to 'blow it out' from the intercooler. I do them all the time and still have to drain mine.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Abacus,

An ounce every 1000 miles? That doesn't sound normal. Sounds like you may have the beginnings of a problem.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I drilled a hole in my intercooler at the lowest part and put a drain plug (1/8" NPT plug). These cars make such low boost pressures I wasn't too worried about it popping out (as it's just threaded in plastic). Has been working great. I drain every ~5k.