Front coil spring rate info

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
A-4 Platform front coil spring information
This info is from ETKA:
This data applies to the sedan and the wagon
By no means is this information all inclusive. I'm providing the high to low range for the stock configured A-4 platform.

Color Code & PN / spring compression rate Lbs per in
  • 1 Pink 2 Green 357-411-105-T / 142 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 1 Violet 2 White 1J0-411-105-AE / 143 LBS (Non-Sport)
  • 1 Violet 1 White 1J0-411-105-AD / 146 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 2 Green 2 Blue 1J0-411-105-C / 149 LBs (Non- Sport)
  • 2 Violet 2 Pink 1J0-411-105-BK / 155 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 1 Violet 2 Yellow 1J0-411-105-AG / 161 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 3 Pink 1 Green 1J0-411-105-P / 170.5 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 4 Pink 2 Green 357-411-105-AF / 170 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 2 White 4 Blue 1J0-411-105-CL / 175 Lbs (Non-Sport)
  • 1 Violet 4 Pink 1J0-411-105 AR / 2002 Jetta Wgn (Non-Sport)
I would like to see some information for the rear coil springs. If anyone can add to this list please do.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Have you checked for part number supercessions? I think many part numbers got consolidated on replacements.

Nice post though, thanks for that!

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Thanks for the part numbers.

This is probably a good compliment to your thread:
My plan this summer is to install something around 170 lb/in with 1 spacer. But I haven't seen any reviews of such a setup. I need to get the front end higher, but don't really want the lift kit due to the expense.

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have the lift kit in my wifes car. It is worth the expense if you want the ride height. The only problem with this lift kit is the design of the rear lifting pieces. After only a couple weeks one of my wifes rear coils broke and collapsed to the side of the lift piece. On a stock setup the coil would snap on the bottom most part of the spring and rest in the wider perch. If the spring snaps on the lift kit, the spring will have a wider circumference than the kit, and the spring can literally pop out of the axle/body while driving. If you have a lift kit, I think it is pertinent to change out the rear springs upon installation and possibly replace every 5 or so years. Between three 7 year old tdis I had 4 out of 6 rear springs snapped at te lower most coil.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
This is all good stuff.. theabove chart has been posted on tdi previuosly but I have NEVER seen an equivalent chart for rear springs . Does anyone have access to such a chart???

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
One thing that I've read is that ETKA lists an axle weight class with those springs. The highest spring rate, 2 blue 4 white, is in a lower axle weight class. People have speculated that this means they are shorter, and thus probably don't provide maximum front end lift.

I've never seen a chart for rear either. If you're looking for long and stiff, the 5 green is believed to be top:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2282742&postcount=1
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2282742&postcount=1

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I checked my front springs today: one violet and two yellow. Thanks for the info, Herm.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I am a bit confused.

I have a pair of 2blue/2 white springs sitting in front of me, rated at 170 lbs/in and with the p/n 1J0411105CD

The chart above has an "S" to the left of this spring. I assume this designates it as equipment in sport suspension, and 1stvwparts called me and said the springs I had ordered were for cars with the sport suspension.

My understanding is that the sport suspension springs were typically shorter than non sport springs. EDIT: I found information from 2004 that the 2 blue/2 white springs are listed as both SPORT and NON-SPORT and did indeed equip some 2003 Jetta Wagon TDIs; I doubt they are shorter than TDI springs, but I still might add the spacer :)

Does anybody have measurements for TDI spring length/number of coils? I'm trying to decide whether a 10 mm spacer will raise the front too much without a raised rear. I probably should have gotten:

2 White 4 Blue 1J0-411-105-CL / 175 Lbs (Non-Sport)

Last edited:

Turbo_Boss

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T
Guys, My 2002 MK4 Jetta 1.8T come factory with Heavy Duty coils with 1 yellow and 1 violet marks (161Lbs)

I need to replace the struts/shock since they are worn. Do I need to replace them with Heavy Duty Shocks or I can use regular Shocks?

I was thinking on getting some Standard KYB 334812 or Standard Bilstein VNE 4574

Really appreciated your advice

THX,

Isaac

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Depends on how long you keep the car and the ride you like. I have Koni reds but LOVE the Koni FSD in my brothers which is good with the OEM setup.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
One orange and one pink

My 2012 Golf has 1 Orange and one pink, It rides like an empty dump truck, just terrible:

We have a 2000 Golf TDI, 1 green and 2 Pink, this car rides like a Cadillac:

I want my 2012 GOLF to ride like my 2000 GOLF.

NIGHT AND DAY difference in ride comfort between these two.

What can I do to make my 2012 RIDE SMOOTH like my 2000?

My 2000 handles just fine thank you.

My MK6 is also TOO LOW stock, I don't like it too low, I want to lift it about 1 to 1.5 " as well.

What to do? Any ideas?

Last edited:

LA_VW

TDI
2003 Golf TDI Automatic
FANTASTIC THREAD. Looked at mine today and saw for first time what I believe was 4 pink 2 green (couldn't see the last two).

Edit: Wiped the brake dust off and lo and behold 2 Violet 2 Pink.

Last edited:

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock OEM Coil Spring Part #

Can anyone here tell me the best or easiest way I can determine what the OEM Part number is for my Springs?

2012 Golf TDI

I am going to PAY to have Coil Spring Specialties make me custom coil springs with 1.5" to 2" of lift and 20% softer ride quality.

SCREW ESC, I will find a way to disable or trick it.

If I can't get this car lifted at least 1.5" and a ride quality as well as my 2000 Golf I'm going to sell it and it only has 900 miles on it.

I already sold the stock 225/45/17 wheels and tires & replaced them with 195/65/15 Michelin Primacy MXV4 and to my suprise, it DID NOT HELP Much at all on ride quality. It steers a whole lot easier, and my MPG went up about 20%, ride quality may be slightly better, but it's still way way too stiff, I can't stand it.

Handling of my 2000 golf is just fine so that is not a concern. In fact my 1983 GMC Diesel Van handled just fine as well thank you.

I REALLY wish VW would have offered the tiguan with a TDI in this country.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Double check that the shipping blocks are not still installed.

I have a stack of them in my garage from various VW's and Audis that were delivered with the blocks in place.

Yellow or white plastic blocks on the shock piston shaft under the rubber, rubber fingers that tie coils together, etc.

LA_VW

TDI
2003 Golf TDI Automatic
Stiffer Springs?

Rebuilding suspension soon. Found out what springs I had thanks to this awesome thread (2 Violent, 2 Pink). I know stiffer springs would help cure my body roll, would they also help keep the dampers from hitting the bump stops? Only happens w/ what I call "severe" impacts (doesn't have to be tall bump, just narrow one >3" tall x 6" wide = kidney shot). Shocks/struts, and springs have approx. 100k mi. on them.

Mahalo

Last edited:

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Double check that the shipping blocks are not still installed.

I have a stack of them in my garage from various VW's and Audis that were delivered with the blocks in place.

Yellow or white plastic blocks on the shock piston shaft under the rubber, rubber fingers that tie coils together, etc.
That was the first thing I checked, no blocks on mine. The ride is very rigid to me, especially compared to both my older TDI's, both my 98 MK3 Jetta and 2000 Mk4 Golf ride 10 times better. So much more comfortable, it's a huge difference, especially the 2000 MK4 feels like a magic carpet couch.

The standard Gas engine weighs a little more than the TDI engine, but the DSG transmission makes up the difference, so a MK6 TDI with DSG only weighs 18lbs more than a MK6 2.5 Gas with Automatic trans, I was curious what springs are on the standard MK6 Golfs. I don't think they put sport suspension on standard 4 door MK6 2.5 Gas Golfs do they?

Maybe it's just stiff struts, In the MK6 TDI every little bump and crack in the road is felt like jarring & terrible compared to my MK4 Golf, and BOTH have 195/65/15 Tires & wheels.

The MK6 is definitely much lower, I can't even get my low profile floor jack all the way under the car.

silverfishk8

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition
what springs to order to replicate stock ride

I have an 03 TDI GL 5sp that I need to do the front springs on. I'm looking for some advice about what springs to order. The goal is to get as close to stock as possible and do it economically. I would love some expert opinions / advice! Thanks.

I called the dealer and based on the VIN he told me to order 1JO 411 105 BK (2 pink, 2 violet).

Searching online for this exact spring doesn't turn up any results. I can get:

1 Pink 2 Green 357-411-105-T / 142 Lbs (Non-Sport) for $30 / ea

or

3 Pink 1 Green 1J0-411-105-P / 170.5 Lbs (Non-Sport) for $50 / ea

I was planning on using this strut assembly:

Sachs-Boge
Strut Assembly; Front Left/Right; Advantage/Upgraded OE Version
2003 VW GOLF TDI

SAdslcar

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS 5-spd
I have an 03 TDI GL 5sp that I need to do the front springs on. I'm looking for some advice about what springs to order. The goal is to get as close to stock as possible and do it economically. I would love some expert opinions / advice! Thanks.

I called the dealer and based on the VIN he told me to order 1JO 411 105 BK (2 pink, 2 violet).

or

Where did you find the springs for that price? Are they cheapo aftermarket made in china? or used.
I have been looking for a good set of used springs that have been in someones garage for a while. When the springs are on the car for a long period of time they age and sag, so most will be no better than mine. It is also proving to be difficult finding the same color codes as mine.
Can anyone post a more detailed spring chart? With the rears as well and spring heights.
Thanks in advance

SAdslcar

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS 5-spd
I have 1 pink 2 green on my car. I'm looking at some used springs, 2 blue 2 green and 2 pink 1 green. The spring rate chart shows they are the same spring rate anyone know the difference?

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L w/Manual Trans.

or

I was planning on using this strut assembly:

Sachs-Boge
Strut Assembly; Front Left/Right; Advantage/Upgraded OE Version
2003 VW GOLF TDI
I bought my car new and the front springs are 1 pink & 2 green

What springs did you wind up going with, as I am looking for the same?
If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Last edited:

tdi66+

TDI
VW Golf 3
Hello,

Although the old topic but, maybe anyone know this and will help me: I would to change more softer springs VW Golf 3 1.9 tdi hatchback 4 doors.

If i have a front shock absorber springs with 3 pink and 1 green color. What should be the rear springs color? Two yellows or three yellows paint mark?

Now front there 1 green and 3 white marks.
Maybe rear springs is same, with these front springs colours markings (1 green/3 white and 3 pink/1 green colour)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
Green white white is from my 00 GLX jetta

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
useful thread, Thanks!

Thanks for posting the charts. The 2 blue, 2 white dot code shows 170 lbs/inch progression rate and "S" designation. Sweet!

Now I see why my '03 Jetta Wagon accommodates the 16" wheels and slightly taller Conti tires (205/60R-16) that I installed last year.

I wonder if this was an original set up in this car? It seems likely. This car has no signficant amount of rust. Title search makes sense (warm and dry Southern State life). The strut came out easily. Waiting for a couple of Bilstein TC replacements now.
I looked at the struts I removed, and see that I could have replaced with identical OEM strut (Sachs 1J0413031 BH) for about the same price that I paid for the Bilstein TC shocks! Oh well. As long as they fit, I will be happy! The TC should be stiff enough for the wagon.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
MkIV suspension experts: I'm looking to replace springs for both a 2003 G and J (5M). The NOS VW springs I'm considering are: 2 pink/1 green and 3 green/1 silver. I see the 2 pink/1 green on the chart in post #4 above, so (not having seen them in person) I'm guessing those are front springs and will be a match, but I can't find good info on the other springs. Any help appreciated.