www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 11th, 2011, 15:23   #1
RalphVa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Full size spare in 2009/2010s?

I pulled the spare out of our 2010 Jetta today to check its pressure. It is larger than the typical donut spare like is in our Cabrio.

Wonder if it'll take a normal sized wheel and tire? The 17 inchers may be too wide.
RalphVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 15:24   #2
MPBsr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
I pulled the spare out of our 2010 Jetta today to check its pressure. It is larger than the typical donut spare like is in our Cabrio.

Wonder if it'll take a normal sized wheel and tire? The 17 inchers may be too wide.
The spare in my 09 is a smaller rim size and tire, but not a donut.
MPBsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 15:34   #3
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

VW has been using full size spares for years. What year is the Cabby? Does it have a trunk large enough to accommodate a full size spare?

My '09 had a full size, 91H rated real tire for a spare. I got a flat in eastern Washington state and installed it. I figured I'd get it fixed the next day, but drove all the way back to Massachusetts on it without a problem.

My '10 also has a full size, I'm assuming it's a real tire.
MayorDJQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 15:52   #4
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default JSW gets full size spare?

My 2010 JSW has the same full size model/brand of tire that is on the four wheels on the ground, but on a steel wheel instead. It was my assumption that this was the case for the 2010 Jetta as well. Wow. The JSW really has so many standard features. It is surprising.

dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 18:23   #5
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 78 MPG Gas

The spare has a 15" rim, but the outer diameter of the tire is the same as the 16" rims on the car.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 18:43   #6
deezelpower
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~40 combined city and highway with spirited driving habits.

My wife's 2010 has a 195/65-15 as spare. Still has the silly 45 MPH max sticker, even though the weight and speed ratings are OEM equivalent......

Since tire diameters of 15/16/17's of most jettas are the same and would fit in spare, I'm sure it was due to costs and weight savings.
2014 T@b CS M@xx, arrives Mar 2014!
deezelpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 19:04   #7
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezelpower View Post
My wife's 2010 has a 195/65-15 as spare. Still has the silly 45 MPH max sticker, even though the weight and speed ratings are OEM equivalent......

Since tire diameters of 15/16/17's of most jettas are the same and would fit in spare, I'm sure it was due to costs and weight savings.
It's probably a liability/legal requirement. I peeled it off when I installed the spare on my '09.
Old February 11th, 2011, 19:58   #8
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 78 MPG Gas

It was probably from workers that were told to put the sticker on all spares.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 23:11   #9
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

All sedans with the base 16" alloys will (should) have a 15" steel wheel for the spare. The sedans have the 288mm brakes and can get away with a 15" spare.

All JSW's have the upgraded 312mm brakes that you would find on the 2.0T (gasser) and a 15" wheel will not fit. So Vw HAD to put in a 16" spare.

They are all full size, properly load and speed rated tire. But the bright yellow sticker is there to remind the owner that they are still on the spare and may not have a good 5th wheel should something happen.

I believe the '11 Jetta sedans may have gone back to a space saver spare as a measure of cost cutting.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:03   #10
RalphVa
Veteran Member

Wonder if there's a weight saving for buying a new alloy wheel to match the others on the car vs. the steel wheel spare. The wife scraped up the one alloy wheel in the back. Damaged the finish but didn't bend it. Could put it in as a spare. (Likely the jack wouldn't fit inside as nicely as it does on this factory spare rim.)

I remember once in the 240D's life that I bought another rim to put a snow tire onto. First bought a steel rim because of price difference. When I got it home and found the HUGE weight difference for the alloy ones vs. the steel one, I went back and traded it for an alloy rim. The 240D alloy rims looked EXACTLY like steel rims in those days. The spare rim was exactly the same alloy as the other 4.
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:55   #11
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
Wonder if there's a weight saving for buying a new alloy wheel to match the others on the car vs. the steel wheel spare. The wife scraped up the one alloy wheel in the back. Damaged the finish but didn't bend it. Could put it in as a spare. (Likely the jack wouldn't fit inside as nicely as it does on this factory spare rim.)

I remember once in the 240D's life that I bought another rim to put a snow tire onto. First bought a steel rim because of price difference. When I got it home and found the HUGE weight difference for the alloy ones vs. the steel one, I went back and traded it for an alloy rim. The 240D alloy rims looked EXACTLY like steel rims in those days. The spare rim was exactly the same alloy as the other 4.
Since you have an '09, do you have Bioline wheels? They're pretty readily available. Shop around in the classifieds here, and the tires/wheels section on vwvortex. You should have no problem finding a single Bioline.
Old February 12th, 2011, 15:23   #12
RalphVa
Veteran Member

Ours is a 2010 Jetta.
Old February 14th, 2011, 14:01   #13
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post

All JSW's have the upgraded 312mm brakes that you would find on the 2.0T (gasser) and a 15" wheel will not fit. So Vw HAD to put in a 16" spare.

Of course. I forgot about those brakes. No wonder I got a full size tire.

dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote