www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:45   #1441
chummer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Ave. 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyTheHamster View Post
My response to "It was bad Diesel fuel, we're covering it" would have been "Can I see the test results?"

This sounds like a classic "it's not our fault and it's not your fault, but it's really our fault".

That's what the NHTSA asked for when I reported my problem, I gaved her my service advisor name and number at Audi.

Updated on the car, he gave me a call this morning saying my car will be finish tomorrow some time.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 15:19   #1442
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

that's a quick turn around for bad fuel and a failed fuel pump.
Old July 5th, 2011, 16:40   #1443
DEZLBOY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
that's a quick turn around for bad fuel and a failed fuel pump.
VW and Audi parts warehouses are stocking up on the needed materials, and at least one VW mechanic per dealer is attending a one week course on diagnosing and repairing such failures.
Old July 5th, 2011, 16:57   #1444
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLBOY View Post
VW and Audi parts warehouses are stocking up on the needed materials, and at least one VW mechanic per dealer is attending a one week course on diagnosing and repairing such failures.
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through with a measly 1 percent failure rate.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 17:15   #1445
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
Just another example of that "We at VW really care, yes we really do".
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 21:03   #1446
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Just another example of that "We at VW really care, yes we really do".
Or that VW knows they really do have a problem and find this an easier (cheaper) way to deal with it rather then admitting to it.
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:56   #1447
eddif
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLBOY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Or that VW knows they really do have a problem and find this an easier (cheaper) way to deal with it rather then admitting to it.
LOL
++++++
It appears that there will come a day when the fuel system repair is totally on the owners. The PD owners, on a regular basis, replace cams, followers and bearings. There was a time when a great cry went up about there only being a few PD failures. No one talks about how few the failures are now, and several folks are on their 2nd failure (about as many as the first time failures at the start of the PD issue / coversation).

I feel it is time to totally develop parts and procedures for the coming problems. I have been guilty of working on my PD lately, rather than continuing on the CR filtering design (sorry). Just two adapters and a filter should take an $8,000 USD CR failure and turn it into a $2,000 USD failure. Not good by any description, but an option.

If everyone continues to wait on a VW solution, it appears that your replacement cost will be steep when warranty is out. If the CR has a 2nd failure the cost will just about cause owners to scrap the cars.

I like VWs, and they are worth effort being poured into them. You just have to relax, admit the problems, and deal with the issues. Denial and anger will not help. The joy of a reasonable repair that helps us drive a diesel can overcome a lot of pain. The HPFP still needs club input. A lot of good ideas are just sitting there in the hopes of VW coming through with a solution. If the safety issue does not force VW to repair all cars the failure rate may really increase. Just the number of failures from an accidental mis-fueling can be high.

Those three posts above hint that the VW solution will be on owners dime soon.

The terrible, realist, redneck, shadetree, jerk from Mississippi

eddif
eddif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:15   #1448
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddif View Post
LOL
++++++
It appears that there will come a day when the fuel system repair is totally on the owners. The PD owners, on a regular basis, replace cams, followers and bearings. There was a time when a great cry went up about there only being a few PD failures. No one talks about how few the failures are now, and several folks are on their 2nd failure (about as many as the first time failures at the start of the PD issue / coversation).

I feel it is time to totally develop parts and procedures for the coming problems. I have been guilty of working on my PD lately, rather than continuing on the CR filtering design (sorry). Just two adapters and a filter should take an $8,000 USD CR failure and turn it into a $2,000 USD failure. Not good by any description, but an option.

If everyone continues to wait on a VW solution, it appears that your replacement cost will be steep when warranty is out. If the CR has a 2nd failure the cost will just about cause owners to scrap the cars.

I like VWs, and they are worth effort being poured into them. You just have to relax, admit the problems, and deal with the issues. Denial and anger will not help. The joy of a reasonable repair that helps us drive a diesel can overcome a lot of pain. The HPFP still needs club input. A lot of good ideas are just sitting there in the hopes of VW coming through with a solution. If the safety issue does not force VW to repair all cars the failure rate may really increase. Just the number of failures from an accidental mis-fueling can be high.

The terrible, realist, redneck, shadetree, jerk from Mississippi

eddif
Not a doubt in my mind that VW intends to stonewall this and as you wrote there is a good reason why that strategy will work (again). Consider how long a typical American owns a car and also what is the "believed" mileage lifespan by such individual?

My guess is that they assume Americans will replace their car every three years and prior to 100,000 miles and therefore most people will never notice anything (nor give a rat's arse as demonstrated in this and in other threads, because "it didn't happen too them so why should they care").

Heck, a bunch of people even on this website have/are/planning on getting rid of their 2009 tdi Jettas for the next VW tdi model . From a business perspective, VW simply has no financial interest in your owning a car that has 200,000 miles on it. So pass out the Jelly if you do not fit into their ownership model ......
I do not support policies that increase the cost of energy, since those policies unfairly and disproportionately increase the cost of food, clothing and necessities on the poor. Welcome to critical Thinking 101.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:40   #1449
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigarniedog View Post
Not a doubt in my mind that VW intends to stonewall this and as you wrote there is a good reason why that strategy will work (again). Consider how long a typical American owns a car and also what is the "believed" mileage lifespan by such individual?

My guess is that they assume Americans will replace their car every three years and prior to 100,000 miles and therefore most people will never notice anything (nor give a rat's arse as demonstrated in this and in other threads, because "it didn't happen too them so why should they care").

Heck, a bunch of people even on this website have/are/planning on getting rid of their 2009 tdi Jettas for the next VW tdi model . From a business perspective, VW simply has no financial interest in your owning a car that has 200,000 miles on it. So pass out the Jelly if you do not fit into their ownership model ......
oooo. That's gonna smart.

dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:02   #1450
jbright
Veteran Member

I don't think the HPFP problem is fixed yet and VW keeps making more cars and models containing this part and selling them to an ever expanding customer base. Just ignore the issue? What happens to a snowball as it rolls down the mountain? Should be interesting. Are you feeling lucky, VW.....well, are you?
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:13   #1451
DEZLBOY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright View Post
I don't think the HPFP problem is fixed yet and VW keeps making more cars and models containing this part and selling them to an ever expanding customer base. Just ignore the issue? What happens to a snowball as it rolls down the mountain? Should be interesting. Are you feeling lucky, VW.....well, are you?
Agreed. And while that "buyer beware" attitude does apply to every auto manufacturer to some extent or the other, it is apparent that VW has neglected to inform their customers of the issue at hand.

If I was selling my Golf, I would tell potentional sellers any ongoing issues. I expect the same from an auto manufacturer. Too much to expect? Likely.

But, never the less it pisses me off. Will my next car be a VW? I don't know. I love my car. But it's doubtful that I can knowingly support the VW corporation. Remember the New Beetle had some issue when it came on the market (something with the seats?). VW handled the repairs above board and gave each owner $50 - or some type of credit. I guess, when the press isn't looking, it's easier to hide under the rug.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:15   #1452
wreck111
Veteran Member

We need to post on this sight:
http://consumerist.com/

I did this with my Honda ( brake problems) they got over 10,000 hits. This is a very powerful sight
wreck111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 14:35   #1453
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

When people I know ask about buying a VW, I tell them my experiences with VW and let them make the decision. If it's people that don't work on their own car at all, I tell them don't buy a VW. I just don't want anyone coming back to me and saying why didn't I tell them this or that.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 15:31   #1454
tico27464
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddif View Post
<snip>I like VWs, and they are worth effort being poured into them. You just have to relax, admit the problems, and deal with the issues. Denial and anger will not help. The joy of a reasonable repair that helps us drive a diesel can overcome a lot of pain. The HPFP still needs club input. A lot of good ideas are just sitting there in the hopes of VW coming through with a solution. If the safety issue does not force VW to repair all cars the failure rate may really increase. Just the number of failures from an accidental mis-fueling can be high.

<snip>

eddif
All good points, even those snipped. My fear is that they may have rushed this to market too soon and that there may really never be a cost-effective solution. I bought this car going into it knowing it's no Hondoyota in terms of plug 'n' play, and realized up front maintenance and repair are likely more expensive, playing the odds. But a multi-thousand dollar repair that, barring a permanent fix (or upgrade in US diesel, which is even less likely), may well have a high probability of occurrence, really stales me on the car sometimes. I bought this thing to last, at least 200K, and even with a GEICO 7yr/100k extended warranty, I fear the inevitable. If a car worth, say, $12K, craps out on you at 60K or 100K mi leaving you with a $5-7K or whatever repair, unless you're made of money, it ipso facto becomes a disposable car. So unfortunate, as I really like practically everything else about it. But I'm a one-car household and depend on it, so there's little room for error. I really wish I had done more homework before purchase. Now I know. Such is life, I guess.
~T
tico27464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 21:48   #1455
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

And that's the reason I'm out car shopping. Love the mileage, love the torque, hate VW with a passion. If they can't get their **** together, I'll jump ship. Really don't need the constant worry of a car that could be a ticking 5 figure repair bill in my parking spot.