www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 1st, 2012, 15:25   #2911
CT2010TDI

Wherever I see a CR TDI, I either talk to the owner, or slip a card under their wiper blade that says: "Google 'HPFP VW TDI'"

Some people will check it out some will not.

Most people I see at the gas pump have never heard of the issue.

Awareness will help everyone.
CT2010TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 17:00   #2912
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2010TDI View Post
Wherever I see a CR TDI, I either talk to the owner, or slip a card under their wiper blade that says: "Google 'HPFP VW TDI'"

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here but this is effing crazy.
Knowing about it if you approached me with this line I'd suggest you getting a plastic bubble to travel in.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 17:35   #2913
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old March 1st, 2012, 17:45   #2914
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG

i don't want a 100k warranty on the damned thing. if i can't expect it to last for 250k, i'm not happy. i don't need the thing to never fail, but i do need to protected from the fallout. tell you what vw, i'll buy the pump - you can pay for any additional damage the failure causes, k?
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 19:36   #2915
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdevon View Post
If a .50 cent sun visor retaining clip failed
NHTSA needs to launch an investigation immediately, and force VW to replace all the visors and give everyone a 100K mile warranty on their visors. I'm going to slip a card under every VW's wiper blade that says "google sun visor VW"
Old March 1st, 2012, 21:20   #2916
DasTeknoViking
Veteran Member

^^^ LOL awesome. They most likely will just extend the warranty for XXXXXX miles, like they did on a ton of stuff:
Cam follower, Diverter valves, intake manifolds, Mechatronix units etc on MKV GTi.

I have a VW tech for a friend, and another one as my close cousin.... both know about the HPFP issue and both work at large VW dealers and both have seen 1-2 failures in the last 2 years. With the amount of people buying these cars I wouldn't worry much about it. Its not as wide spread as cam follower issues on FSi motors, hell even piston rings being bad on FSi are more common than TDi HPFP failure.
2002 BMW K1200RS Ohlins suspended
DasTeknoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:16   #2917
IFRCFI
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IFRCFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:33   #2918
Sharp_Cheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
...and that's the reason why you'll never see a recall.
I'm always reminded of Ed Norton's character's (aka Tyler Durden's) day job in Fight Club when I hear about situations like this.
Sharp_Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:44   #2919
DogParkGuy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

As I mentioned before, the HPFP failure may be big news here, but there is no mention of it in the auto press or Consumers Reports. Unless that happens (think 1972 Ford Pinto) there will be no affect on prices.
DogParkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:07   #2920
Engineers<3Diesel
Veteran Member

I think the fact that VW has yet to have data show up on the NHTSA board is starting to affect some folks. I mean putting cards on people's windshields to scare them? I think we just need to sit back, grab a beer and wait for what VW has to say. Getting folks spun up without seeing more data around the failures does nothing.
Engineers<3Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:13   #2921
Runnerguy45
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Quote:

Really ? are you serious ? thats what you do ? I've heard everything now.
Runnerguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:39   #2922
scdevon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipoet View Post
i don't want a 100k warranty on the damned thing. if i can't expect it to last for 250k, i'm not happy.
The hpfp piston / roller assembly can be removed for inspection very easily on these cars (in like 10 mins). I predict that in a very short time, aftermarket companies will specialize in re-coating hpfp pistons with extremely tough anti-friction materials and offer re-coated pistons on an exchange basis if Bosch doesn't offer individual parts for the hpfp.

A person could do a quick check of the housing bore with an inside micrometer or bore gauge and a quick visual inspection of the cam lobes to make sure that the cam isn't torn up, insert a pump piston with improved coatings, put it back together and be good to go (probably for the life of the car 400k+ miles). If it makes you sleep better at night, you could pull the pump piston every 50k miles or so and see how the coating is holding up.

Seriously. This issue is way easier to deal with than failed cams on P.D. cars.
scdevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:32   #2923
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdevon View Post
The hpfp piston / roller assembly can be removed for inspection very easily on these cars (in like 10 mins). I predict that in a very short time, aftermarket companies will specialize in re-coating hpfp pistons with extremely tough anti-friction materials and offer re-coated pistons on an exchange basis if Bosch doesn't offer individual parts for the hpfp.
A person could do a quick check of the housing bore with an inside micrometer or bore gauge and a quick visual inspection of the cam lobes to make sure that the cam isn't torn up, insert a pump piston with improved coatings, put it back together and be good to go (probably for the life of the car 400k+ miles). If it makes you sleep better at night, you could pull the pump piston every 50k miles or so and see how the coating is holding up.
Seriously. This issue is way easier to deal with than failed cams on P.D. cars.
Yes, it is true that you can indeed remove the piston/roller in just a few minutes,but its my belief that the piston/roller is NOT the problem. The problem is the wear in the aluminum bore that the piston/roller rides in.This is where those initial tiny aluminum particles come from. So,no amount of space age coating on the piston is going to protect the aluminum bore from premature wear,unless that coating is capable of no wear with low lubricity fuel in the aluminum bore.Coating the bore on the other hand should provide wear protection. BUT coating the bore requires removing the hpfp and sending it somewhere for coating. A few years ago I took a hpfp to a skilled machinist who suggested coating the bore with nicasil. Cost at that time was around $480. In retrospect,I wish I had followed through and removed the hpfp on my 09 JSW and had the bore coated,maybe I would still be driving it the 09. LOVED that car. LOL
So,a fix is not just as easy as you elude to.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Last edited by dweisel; March 4th, 2012 at 10:36.
dweisel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:37   #2924
TDI WNY

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: 37ish combined 41 hwy
Default I hope VW reads this Forum

If it's such an easy fix, VW should make the part and service available. Even if it cost $500, I would pay for it to avoid worrying about an outrageously expensive repair.

I checked with my VW dealer in Western New York and they said they have never seen this HPFP failure but other customers are also asking.

It is such a fun car to drive I hate the idea of selling it before the warranty runs out. I assume the power train warranty would cover the massive $8-10 thousand dollar repair should the HPFP failure occur???

Last edited by TDI WNY; March 2nd, 2012 at 08:44.
TDI WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:26   #2925
pknopp
Veteran Member

The only pic of a failed unit I've seen it appeared that is was the roller that failed. Now maybe the bore had failed also. It sure would be nice to be able to see a few more failed pumps.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote