www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 20:43   #2281
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus 3 Golfer View Post
I see all 13 old documents. There are no new documents listed.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...03&docType=INV

Go to safecar.gov under Vehicle Owners, Defect Investigations enter EA1003 under NHTSA Action Number quick search. The summary should come up and the link to the documents is at the bottom of the page.
EA11-003 was what worked for me.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 13:03   #2282
madmako

Fuel Economy: +50 mpg hwy
Default I seem to remember back when Audi.....

"Are you old enough to remember the Audi 5000 of the mid- eighties? Thousands had failures of many systems such as transmission, A/C, engine. Many drivers consider Audi to be well-engineered cars."

I seem to remember the trade and consumer media hammering Audi resulting in very poor sales for a few years. And, after all that, they're still here and so will VW. Even if TDI HPFP failures reach 5%, for example, the VW actuaries will determine the best cost/benefit model which will allow them to ultimately prevail.

If, when it's all said and done, the consumer just happens to benefit, so much the better for the VW PR department.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 13:19   #2283
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

I remember the Audi 5000. That was a good car that Andy Rooney killed with his hysterical unintended acceleration hatchet job. The POS that fell apart was the early Audi 100 models.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 16:38   #2284
NateTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2000 Jetta, low 50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
I remember the Audi 5000. That was a good car that Andy Rooney killed with his hysterical unintended acceleration hatchet job. The POS that fell apart was the early Audi 100 models.
It was Ed Bradley not andy Rooney
NateTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 16:50   #2285
danix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmako View Post
I seem to remember the trade and consumer media hammering Audi resulting in very poor sales for a few years. And, after all that, they're still here and so will VW. Even if TDI HPFP failures reach 5%, for example, the VW actuaries will determine the best cost/benefit model which will allow them to ultimately prevail.

If, when it's all said and done, the consumer just happens to benefit, so much the better for the VW PR department.
Hate to tell you, but values on CR engined TDIs are dropping much more quickly than normal. I strongly suspect a connection to the fuel issue.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 19:42   #2286
timwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Hate to tell you, but values on CR engined TDIs are dropping much more quickly than normal. I strongly suspect a connection to the fuel issue.
JSW resale values are very strong.

KBB estimates a 2009 JSW, no options, in very good to to excellent condition with 50k miles to have a private party resale value of around $19,600.

That's depreciation of about 22% on a 3 year old car. Average deprecitation on a 3 year old car is about 45%.

There are also many posts on these forums by potential buyers lamenting the high prices of used JSWs.
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:48   #2287
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwagon View Post
JSW resale values are very strong.

KBB estimates a 2009 JSW, no options, in very good to to excellent condition with 50k miles to have a private party resale value of around $19,600.

That's depreciation of about 22% on a 3 year old car. Average deprecitation on a 3 year old car is about 45%.

There are also many posts on these forums by potential buyers lamenting the high prices of used JSWs.
No, that's just an indication of a lot of small business owners being cheap with wanting to buy used cars and wanting a car to depreciate in someone else's garage, not on their watch. Blow a turbo, a fuel system, or a DPF exhaust system on one of these, as they get older, and the resale prices are going to drop like a stone due to the projected repair costs, rightfully so.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:44   #2288
timwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
No, that's just an indication of a lot of small business owners being cheap with wanting to buy used cars and wanting a car to depreciate in someone else's garage, not on their watch. Blow a turbo, a fuel system, or a DPF exhaust system on one of these, as they get older, and the resale prices are going to drop like a stone due to the projected repair costs, rightfully so.
Huh?

So the value is not dropping, but will soon start to drop? I'm having a hard time following your posts on this one... All evidence I see is the resale values on TDI models is very strong, much higher than average.

Will these cars start to fall apart and we'll see their values suddenly sink?

I guess it could happen, but it's not happening now.
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:50   #2289
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

According to kelly blue book, my 2010 JSW with 30K miles is about equal to what I paid for it. I know, it's like everything else I own. It is truely only worth what someone else is willing to pay me for it and since I am not willing to sell it, the listed value doesn't matter.
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:51   #2290
danix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwagon View Post
Huh?

So the value is not dropping, but will soon start to drop? I'm having a hard time following your posts on this one... All evidence I see is the resale values on TDI models is very strong, much higher than average.

Will these cars start to fall apart and we'll see their values suddenly sink?

I guess it could happen, but it's not happening now.
Sorry, but it is happening. KBB is an average value and means nothing in the real world.

Drive your car to the dealer and ask what you can get for it in trade - that's the value. Private parties will pay more, but not a lot of people have the cash on hand, and it's a lot easier to finance a new car.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:45   #2291
FormerGasser
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, but it is happening. KBB is an average value and means nothing in the real world.

Drive your car to the dealer and ask what you can get for it in trade - that's the value. Private parties will pay more, but not a lot of people have the cash on hand, and it's a lot easier to finance a new car.
I've had just as "easy" of a time financing a used car as a new one so not sure why you think a PP needs cash on hand.

2012 Jetta TDI 10/7/2012 RIP - 21,424 miles
FormerGasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:49   #2292
danix
Veteran Member

Used car loans are made according to financing limits set by the bank/finance company. You can't walk in and get a $25000 loan on a car they are only willing to loan $20k for.
Also, the interest rate on used car loans is typically much higher than on new cars.
Perhaps we should start a different thread on "CR TDI resale values", as these comments are unrelated to the NHTSA investigation.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:44   #2293
CedarPark68
Veteran Member

I know I was going to get 22k on a 2011 JSW 6 spd w/Pano, No Nav and 25k miles.
And this was with the notion of me buying a new 2012 TDI with NO discount.

My initial offer was I'll write a check for 2k and buy the new TDI at list, you buy out my current TDI. They said NO.
( I have 2k that would come back to me in the Extended Warranty.... so for me a loss, but not out of my immediate pocket as I've already paid )

Take this info and decide for yourself if prices are falling or not.
CedarPark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 13:39   #2294
timwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Used car loans are made according to financing limits set by the bank/finance company. You can't walk in and get a $25000 loan on a car they are only willing to loan $20k for.
Also, the interest rate on used car loans is typically much higher than on new cars.
Perhaps we should start a different thread on "CR TDI resale values", as these comments are unrelated to the NHTSA investigation.
Used car loan rates aren't much higher than new car rates. Check PENFED and other car loan sites. Spread is often 1%, or even less.

Also, I've sold many cars to private parties, and gotten top dollar. A dealer trade value is only worthwhile if the dealer offer plus sales tax savings comes close to the private party value.

Feel free to start another thread on this topic - it's your post that initiated this unrelated side discussion.
Old January 4th, 2012, 16:25   #2295
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

Most dealers are using Galves to determine trade-in values.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote