www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:30   #1966
CedarPark68
Veteran Member

When I worked at the State level for an Engineering agency, they would get pissed with requests like these ..... this request is very complicated, very long and requires a huge amount of man hours.

The fines per day are real and the last thing M would want is to make the papers on this as they are not the company in focus.

Hats off to NHTSA.

Sorry that Mr. Benz has to be brought into, but all the better.

M. will essentially tell everyone that there is NO ISSUE with the way THEY DO THINGS.... which will include them dispelling the BS that is poor US Fuel, OR at least noting how they overcame US Fuel issues.

NHTSA will then be able to squarely come back to VW and say, US Fuel is not an issue, gas should not cost 8k to recover from, fix the pumps.
CedarPark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:32   #1967
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Interesting, although it looks like the affected pump was the CP3.3, which isn't what's failing on US fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:58   #1968
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBeek View Post
Does the MB use Bosch as well? Maybe VW is going to throw Bosch under the bus. Just a thought.....
Would that be a Micro-mini bus? Since GM and Ford are seeing hpfp pump failures with their Bosch pumps, I wonder if they will also get this request.
Old October 17th, 2011, 11:28   #1969
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 72 MPG Record for 00' TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Would that be a Micro-mini bus? Since GM and Ford are seeing hpfp pump failures with their Bosch pumps, I wonder if they will also get this request.
those failures are so small in comparison and even from what i've seen probably half are water/fuel contamination.

interestingly they already have a tsb at ford with instructions on various steps to diagnose hpfp failure

I wish we would know more about what was causing the failures of the BMW CR hpfp pumps in 2005. To me it sounds like a manufacturing or materials defect. The only details we have is that the cp3.3 had dramatically shortened lifespans. The answers to this would probably answer all of our questions in regards to the CP4.1 pump. Although it's not the same pump, there is a good chance that similar problems are causing the shortened lifespans.

Trooper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 11:44   #1970
Niner
veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBeek View Post
Does the MB use Bosch as well? Maybe VW is going to throw Bosch under the bus. Just a thought.....
CP3 pump, I think, in the MB, lubed by crank oil or something, on the cam lobes surface, not D2. Maybe Drivbiwire can comment.

That number after CP is the generation of Common Rail pump in the Bosch lineup. Ours are CP4
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:31   #1971
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 72 MPG Record for 00' TDI

the CP3 was problematic even while being lubed by oil. Bosch fixed the problem and since then they've been problem free. That's basically what needs to happen now with the CP4.1 I don't believe the CP4.2 has shown to be problematic enough to warrant a fix yet, but if whatever is causing the .1's to fail is also being applied to the .2's Then they might as well Recall them both.

Trooper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 13:37   #1972
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper81 View Post
those failures are so small in comparison and even from what i've seen probably half are water/fuel contamination.

interestingly they already have a tsb at ford with instructions on various steps to diagnose hpfp failure

I wish we would know more about what was causing the failures of the BMW CR hpfp pumps in 2005. To me it sounds like a manufacturing or materials defect. The only details we have is that the cp3.3 had dramatically shortened lifespans. The answers to this would probably answer all of our questions in regards to the CP4.1 pump. Although it's not the same pump, there is a good chance that similar problems are causing the shortened lifespans.
Is there any place like NHTSA in Gremany or Europe that would have details that caused the recall? Although even if we have that information, it would probably not tell us how the BMW pump was redesigned.
Old October 17th, 2011, 14:27   #1973
timwagon
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper81 View Post
I've got a few links for you to peruse.

http://www.rp-online.de/auto/news/BM...aid_76867.html

http://www.rp-online.de/wirtschaft/n...aid_76776.html

this may be the reason why they're getting information from Mercedes as it may refer back to this incident.
Yes, it may.

If I could read German I'd probably be able to provide a more thoughtful answer.

Any more foreign language links you'd like to share?
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 14:34   #1974
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

With the help of Google Translate, I'm getting the following out of those articles (guessing based on some context, when there's mistranslations):

First article: BMW stopped production (about 3600 cars were delayed) and recalled cars due to HPFP lifespan being shortened, and it affected DaimlerChrysler and Audi as well, although Audi didn't stop production.

Second article: DaimlerChrysler stopped production and replaced that production with gassers, Bosch claims that a vendor's coating failed, C, E, and S class are affected. Audi only had problems with certain batches. VW's only affected vehicle was the Phaeton. Opel's 6-cylinder engines aren't affected due to using a Japanese pump, but their 4-cylinder engines use a smaller version of the affected pump (I'm assuming Bosch CP3.2 vs. 3.3, here). Opel did testing, though, and hasn't found any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 14:39   #1975
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwagon View Post
Yes, it may.

If I could read German I'd probably be able to provide a more thoughtful answer.

Any more foreign language links you'd like to share?
Tooef beat me to it. Hold on a sec and I'll post links to the full translated articles.

Article 1 translated

Article 2 Translated

Last edited by manual_tranny; October 17th, 2011 at 14:42.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 16:46   #1976
timwagon
Veteran Member

Thanks for the translations. Looks like Google translate is a work in progress.

Or should I say looking to be progress in the translate would be working even now.
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 16:50   #1977
DEZLBOY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Wow, he was quite the child prodigy to have been commissioned to develop the Beetle just prior to WWII!!
Good Catch!
Old October 17th, 2011, 23:36   #1978
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

UK vehicle recall search:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...lt.asp?tx=VOSA
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:18   #1979
tico27464
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Wow, he was quite the child prodigy to have been commissioned to develop the Beetle just prior to WWII!! Oh wait, wrong Ferdinand Porsche. You are probably referring to the patriarch Ferdinand Porsche (sorry, you missed his birthday) or Ferdinand PiŽch (you have a number of months ahead of his b'day to plan a protest ). Better to go after VWoA CEO Johnathan Browning (June 21st), VW Group president Martin Winterkorn (May 24th) or VW Group Executive Director of Powertrain Engineering Wolfgang Hatz (d.o.b. ?)
Well, "OVA" could conceivably be swarming the streets of Herndon for multiple passages of these dates, awaiting a suitable response...
tico27464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:56   #1980
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post
Thanks, that shows the BMW fuel pump failures in 2005 but not much other information.