www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old September 1st, 2011, 19:05   #1681
sledstorm1
Veteran Member

I have an 07 chevy duramax with a cp3 pump, in the last three years of ownership and read a couple of duramax forums I have never heard of anything like this happening on a durmax.
sledstorm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:25   #1682
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

The Mercedes diesels, BMW diesels, Cummins diesels, 6.4 PowerStrokes, and pre-2011 Duramaxes are irrelevant.

They all use the CP3, an older pump design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:00   #1683
eddif
Veteran Member

What we should be doing is:
1..Getting and looking at the internal parts of the older and different pumps.
2..Comparing the internal parts
3..Looking at the electronic fueling charts for all brands.
4..Making decisions on what to do.

What we are doing:
1..Speculating without much information
2..Makings things irrelevant instead of seeking relevant information from HPFPs that work.

I will see what I can dig up (if anything). Please everyone go on a HPFP hunt.

eddif
eddif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 14:52   #1684
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Bosch has been the leader in diesel fuel pumps for more than fifty (50) years where you going to turn?

According the the NHTSA report 2010 failures represent 0.11 percent. That means 99.89 percent run just fine. What more do you want??????
Old September 3rd, 2011, 15:29   #1685
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIDan View Post
Bosch has been the leader in diesel fuel pumps for more than fifty (50) years where you going to turn?

According the the NHTSA report 2010 failures represent 0.11 percent. That means 99.89 percent run just fine. What more do you want??????
The same reliability,as past model VW diesel fuel systems. And IF something fails in the fuel system it doesn't cost 1/2 to 1/3 of what the car sold for new. But what do I care..................I'm "driving more and worrying less" with my new gasser.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 16:14   #1686
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
But what do I care..................I'm "driving more and worrying less" with my new gasser.
Traitor

Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 16:16   #1687
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Traitor
LOL! Not by choice.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 16:40   #1688
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Dweisel , did you have a hpfp fail or was it Reading some of the stories here that made you switch ?
Softrockrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 16:53   #1689
Scratcher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
Dweisel , did you have a hpfp fail or was it Reading some of the stories here that made you switch ?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=259601

Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 17:32   #1690
eddif
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIDan View Post

When I started on the PD cam failure work, I was told about being an alarmist. All sorts of people quoted the low percent of failures. When the mileages got high the failures increased. Now it is common to talk of replacing PD cams.

Looking at the design and hearing of the fueling mistakes made in Europe, warns me of the possible coming failures.

I want a 2012 Passat, but right now I would not buy one. I saw some changes in the fueling system, but not what I wanted to see (I will know more when information is released by VW...maybe the information will surprise me). But Hey here I go again being an alarmist. LOL

I will be happy if I can contain a failure to $2,000 USD (and that is terrible)

eddif
eddif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 18:23   #1691
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
If 90% really are from using gasoline, then the failure rate might be 0.01%, or 1/10,000 for folks that are sure to only use diesel. I'm just doing some wishful thinking with this, not trying to be a jerk.

I do wish I had a car with the November 2010 upgraded pump. I guess my car only has 2 of the updates. It would be nice to know what they did to improve the pump. Honestly, I wish they would just come up with something to prevent the debris from contaminating the fuel system. Then it would just be a new pump for a few hundred bucks, not really a big deal at all.
Since most truck haul all types of fuel in the same tanks it is highly possible for fuel to be contaminated when filling the trucks with fuel. Until tankers start hauling only diesel or gas or whatever there will be cross contamination.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:53   #1692
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
It kills both myself and my wife to drive gassers. We've both driven diesels for over 25 years. Never had a problem with a fuel system. EVER! The 09's came out and both of us were excited about owning new tdi's. We purchased two 09's. A Sedan for my wife and a JSW for me.My wife's hpfp failed at 11,000 miles and mine failed at just over 24,000. So, until the hpfp problem is fixed......................dweisel isn't diesel anymore.

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:29   #1693
prchan

TDI(s): None yet

Quote:
But what do I care..................I'm "driving more and worrying less" with my new gasser.
Dweisel, What is your new ride?
prchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:15   #1694
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prchan View Post
Dweisel, What is your new ride?
2011 JSW with the 2.5 gas/DGS. The wife went with the 2.5 manual Sedan. She likes it other than the hill assist. Only because that was the quickest and easiest route to make a trade. Plus VW threw in $2,000 trade assist. So that made it easier to swallow. BTW,they did not volunteer the "trade assist" and wanted to know where we heard about trade assist. We were told by a friend to ask for the trade assist.

The only real difference between the gas and diesels are: lack of torque and the mileage sucks! Other than that pretty much the same. I'd still rather be driving a diesel. Oh,well maybe some day in the distant future.

Old September 4th, 2011, 12:57   #1695
GTIDan
Veteran Member

Quote:
It kills both myself and my wife to drive gassers. We've both driven diesels for over 25 years. Never had a problem with a fuel system. EVER! The 09's came out and both of us were excited about owning new tdi's. We purchased two 09's. A Sedan for my wife and a JSW for me.My wife's hpfp failed at 11,000 miles and mine failed at just over 24,000. So, until the hpfp problem is fixed......................dweisel isn't diesel anymore.
What are the odds that TWO HPFPs would fail on cars owned by the same people? What did to fuel samples show......or did they tell you? You sure gasoline was not put in the tanks by mistake? ........this just doesn't wash with me. Sorry.

I would think the odds of you ever having another failure would be slim and none. Me? I would have purchased another diesel and be done with it.