www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 10th, 2011, 15:07   #1
Spoiled

Default Sister site for gasser jsw?

I spoke at length today with a vw salesman and he confirmed someone elses suggestion on here, that my driving style may not be a friend to the tdi. My short commute and granny driving style may not be compatable with the needs of the tdi. My typical week consists of a two mile commute to work on 3-4 days, then a longer trip 1-2 days of the week of 100 miles or so for an appt. The salesman feels that on all the days when I only drive 2 miles or so to work, that I could be affected by intercooler problems because my engine hasn't had a chance to heat up properly before I shut it down again.
The salesman is suggesting I consider the gas version may be a better fit for me. So, can anyone refer me to a great forum, similar to this one, that is for the JSW gassers instead? Everyone on here is great and you offer a wealth of information and support. Is there a sister site available for the gasser versions of the JSW????
Thanks everyone!
Spoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:11   #2
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Buy the TDI and walk, jog, or ride a bike the 2 miles to work.

Then enjoy the torque and MPG of the TDI for the longer trips.

If you do buy the gas JSW, there's lots of info on vwvortex.com. You just have to wade through bullsiht and immature antics on occasion.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 16:50   #3
robbieyukon

Buy the TDI and x2 on riding a bike, take a cab, or even better...get someone to pick you up.
'83 John Deere 850 Loader 2300 hours.
robbieyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 16:57   #4
jayb79
Veteran Member

As far as I know this forum is one of a kind, no other can compare. The vortex is the only other place with lots of info but, as stated lots of immature (why don't you slam it) BS.
Old February 10th, 2011, 18:57   #5
jtelford
Veteran Member

This forum *is* excellent. I've only been here a short time and I have been very impressed with the level of technical skill available, as well as the social tone.
However, it is not alone and I (opinion here) attribute the group dynamic to adversity or perceived adversity (which breeds camaraderie); I also own obscure Italian motorcycles and the tone/skill set on those forums is similar to this one. Obscure Italian motorbikes have their own set of problems....
The fact is that these are very niche markets, populated by dedicated individuals. I'm surprised there is not more crossover
jtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 19:16   #6
jayb79
Veteran Member

I was talking only of VW info, specifically golf, jetta, nb. I do also know of other non VW forums that are very good but i know of none with this same level of knowledge.
Old February 10th, 2011, 19:24   #7
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

Wow. That salesman sounds like he not only knows the score, but is actually trying to help you. He must be new.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 19:41   #8
glennco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

I think that's a bunch of bullarky frankly. We just got through our first winter with the jsw, and my wife's commute is only a couple of miles. We get it out every week to heat it up fully, and we haven't had any of the intercooler issues reported here.
Old February 10th, 2011, 19:56   #9
LandCruiser
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need a Prius or Volt.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 20:00   #10
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Sounds like you need a Prius or Volt.
I was interested in the Volt until I found out it's now a $40k, 40mpg vehicle. In the prototype stage, it was supposed to be a 80-100mpg vehicle. If GM were to put a 3cyl TD in it, rather than a 1.4 gasser, it could probably hit that mark.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:50   #11
glennco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

A prius doesn't gain a person much. The engine starts up and runs to get it up to running temp for quick start/stops.

The leaf would be the way to go. Get a leaf for the weekly commute, and a TDI for trips. That would be the best of both worlds

Neither car is great for taking trips loaded down with camping gear and a canoe. That's where the TDI shines.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:18   #12
warbird24
Veteran Member

I think that is a bunch of bull. These cars sell very well In the UK and many of them see short hops as their commute. No problems there that I have heard of. Of course I think the diesel there is better quality. If driven properly I don't think I see a problem with shorter commutes as long as there is an a longer duration trip in their also.

Now the granny driving style might be the bigger of the two issues. These motors like to be exercised and as such need to be driven a little harder than you might ought to drive, let say a new Toyota Corolla. These cars are very spirited in the handling department as well as the mid range torque when you have to point and shoot to get through a gap in traffic. Not that you need to drive them aggressively, you just have to pay more attention to what the whole drivetrain is doing for you.

After I get my Golf in two weeks, my initial commute will be about 8 miles. I have options to make it longer and I will take those options when time and traffic allow. In a few months, the real test will start when I will be driving further distances for my commute.

I think for folks with a short commute, the best option is a frost heater to ensure you have the engine temp up a lil more quickly than being stone cold the whole commute.

Last edited by warbird24; February 11th, 2011 at 04:28. Reason: added info
warbird24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:23   #13
IceRaider360
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.7 L/100km

I haven't had any issues yet, I live on the prairies so the climate is really cold right now and the temp. is always changing.

FYI I drive a fairly short commute with my wife, 9 km 4 times a day in the bitter -20C to -35C cold and haven't run into any issues yet with my new 2011 Golf TDI.

Here is how my route goes

1 Km 40-60 Km/h
5 Km 90-110 Km/h
3 Km 40-60 Km/h

Nice thing is that I have none to minimal traffic congestion and stops (2 stop signs, 1 left turn) so far I'm getting between 7-9 l/100Km during the cold weather which is much better than my 2L Suzuki Aerio 10-11 l/100Km during the winter but I can wait until summer 20C to 25C to get some better results. This car is perfect for me and my wife because we often take several long road trips during the summer and I love how this car handles on the hwy.

I'm very curios to see how the EV market is going to grow over the next 5-10 years and will be definitely taking a hard look at them once I get some mileage on Golf. I like the idea of saving money from reduce maintenance costs and cheaper fill ups with energy.
IceRaider360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:25   #14
Spoiled

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't always drive granny style...just on my short commute to and from the office through the burb. When I'm on the highway or interstates, I fully enjoy the v6, and the tip.
Although I appreciate all of the suggestions of alternative cars, the prius/leaf/volt, etc., I appreciate the feel of the drive with german engineering. I'm not knocking anyone who owns one of the alternatives...they're just not for me.
Vwvortex huh? That's my alternate. Ugh. Not only is it lacking the community vibe of tdiclub, but I also find it harder to navigate the site when I'm trying to find information. It so well organized on here...not to mention friendly.

I currently drive a 2005 passat glx v6 4mo wagon. Thought that extra info would help better explain my desire to stick with german.

Last edited by Spoiled; February 11th, 2011 at 07:28. Reason: current car info
Spoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:12   #15
pekosROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. I don't always drive granny style...just on my short commute to and from the office through the burb. When I'm on the highway or interstates, I fully enjoy the v6, and the tip.
Although I appreciate all of the suggestions of alternative cars, the prius/leaf/volt, etc., I appreciate the feel of the drive with german engineering. I'm not knocking anyone who owns one of the alternatives...they're just not for me.
Vwvortex huh? That's my alternate. Ugh. Not only is it lacking the community vibe of tdiclub, but I also find it harder to navigate the site when I'm trying to find information. It so well organized on here...not to mention friendly.

I currently drive a 2005 passat glx v6 4mo wagon. Thought that extra info would help better explain my desire to stick with german.
Perhaps you should pre-order a Golf-R! It's RU gas, has pretty good mileage, and has 4Motion! If you can't wait that long then that would make sense too...