www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 10th, 2011, 14:27   #1
SnieselDiesel

TDI(s): Looking....
Default Timing belt replacement

The short:
Can i replaced my timing belt WITHOUT 'special' vw tools?

The Long:
I have owned my Jetta TDI for about 6 months now. I have always done the work on all my gasoline cars. This is my first diesel. I am confident in myself enough to say i have the skill level to replace a timing belt. I have done it a few times before. But can i do it without the special tools. The belts hasent broke. But its about time it's replaced.

Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2011, 14:31   #2
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I would suggest that you find a club member or go to a guru who has ALL the tools, the right VCDS code reader/diagnostic tool. Find the instructions. This is NOT a gasoline motor. Make sure you replace all in the belt path. Get a bently manual for your car for all the factory procedures. A mistake will cost you an engine. Engines don't come cheap. Do it right the first time. More TDI motors have been blown because of improper procedure, both by DYI and the dealerships.
Old February 10th, 2011, 14:38   #3
SnieselDiesel

TDI(s): Looking....

I understand that... But how would one become to be a 'guru' if they dont work on the cars?
Old February 10th, 2011, 14:50   #4
doublebarrel

DO NOT try to replace the timing belt without the proper tools.If you have done timing belts before you should be able to do a TDI.But if you are going to do it invest in the proper tools and read up on the proper procedures.
doublebarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:29   #5
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnieselDiesel View Post
I understand that... But how would one become to be a 'guru' if they dont work on the cars?
By doing things properly and using proper tools.
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:29   #6
waspie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 pkg2!

i'll be in the same boat as this guy at some point, i thought it was a simple question - help the man out.

anyway, i ran across this thread a few hours ago while searching for something else. might get you on the right track.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...rap+crank+tool
waspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:34   #7
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Quote:
The short:
Can i replaced my timing belt WITHOUT 'special' vw tools?

The Long:
I have owned my Jetta TDI for about 6 months now. I have always done the work on all my gasoline cars. This is my first diesel. I am confident in myself enough to say i have the skill level to replace a timing belt. I have done it a few times before. But can i do it without the special tools. The belts hasent broke. But its about time it's replaced.

Thanks!
The Short:
NO!

The Long:
This is not a gas engine. Mark and pray TB jobs work fine on gassers, they are death to TDI's. Due to the injection pump and other components in the TB path, and the precise timing requirement of this engine; it is impossible to do the job correctly without the lockdown tools. The cam needs to be precisely located so that valve contact does not occur and the IP needs to be kept in time so that the engine will start. In order to accomplish this and hold the position during belt tightening, the cam and IP sprockets must both be free to rotate while you tighten the belt. The purpose of the lockdown tools is to hold the cam and IP in position while the sprockets rotate.

If you can turn wrenches and follow directions, you can change the timing belt. But you need the tools, and you need to not cut corners. If that is the original timing belt, you are about 35k miles and 3 years overdue. The timing belt interval for your car is 100k miles or 5 years. Stick to that, or you will be facing a large repair bill. The clock is no longer ticking, the belt (and water pump, tensioner and 3 rollers) are way overdue for replacement.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:53   #8
puter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg

Also, if your TB breaks you will be paying about $2500 (including labor) in costs to have the head rebuilt.

And...when you replace the timing belt you MUST replace everything in its path and all stretch bolts. The link below has all the parts you need to replace with the timing belt:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349

As others have said, you cannot replace this TB without using the proper lockdown tools and vcds. If you try you are just asking for trouble. You can rent tools from several vendors.
puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 15:55   #9
r72gsaol
Veteran Member

I have been a mechanic for the past 30 years on cars and aircraft. At one time I was a factory trained VW mechanic at a dealer ( may mean I know nothing!). I bought my first TDI last year and it needed a timing belt. After reading around here I figured there was no way I was going to risk it. I got the tools and I am glad I did.

I have done two TB jobs so far. The first one 23,000 miles ago. They are fairly easy but the job requires the tools. You can get by with a drill bit for the IP but the crank and cam locks are a must as is a torque wrench and Vag Com. There are many people who rent all the tools for around $45 and there is probably someone near you that has a Vag Com. Not much more to spend considering the risk of not doing it right.

Also, make sure you buy the kit from a reputable source.
Old February 10th, 2011, 16:14   #10
boertje
Veteran Member

I was going to do it myself but I have 3 to do. Decided on a guru doing it instead.
Auto to 5/6 spd manual swap with wiring instructions for MKIV. Click here.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 17:19   #11
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

There's a post around here with the dimensions for the tools. I made my own set for the ALHs but bought the crank lock for my BEW. Timing belts aren't rocket science. I've done 3 ALHs and 1 BEW. The 3.0 plymouth minivan I did last weekend was way worse than any VW I've done.

You do need access to VCDS to check the timing afterwards but if everything was done right it'll be close enough for you to meet up with someone who has it.
Old February 10th, 2011, 17:36   #12
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

On the ALH a crank lock isn't needed... (I just put the crankshaft a tiny bit retarded before tightening the tensioner, and it moves right into position...)

The back of a ~6mm drill bit will lock the pump, but you definitely need a camshaft locking bar, some sort of device to counter-hold the cam pulley while loosening (do NOT leave the cam lock in place when loosening or tightening the sprocket!!!!!), some type of puller to knock the camshaft pulley off the camshaft (or go old school, drill a hole in the back and use a punch - not really in favor around here), some sort of device to tighten the tensioner (some people have used bent-nose pliers for this... can't be too comfortable...)

Here's a thread with the dimentions of the tools: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148798

Here's the procedure: http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf (small error at end... the part when you use Vag-Com/VCDS...) I wish Oldpoopie would point to his new checklist (I lost the link)... here's my version of his old checkoff list: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/A4_..._Checklist.doc See also http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...w_to_index.htm

DO NOT BUY THE PARTS from a vendor in North Carolina (or on eBay - unless form MetalMan!!!! There are many reliable vendors around here metalmanparts idparts boraparts dieselgeek and a couple of others...

Good luck,

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 17:44   #13
USCGChips

Quote:
SnieselDiesel,
Where in Virginia are you? If you're anywhere close to Gloucester, there is a guy here in town who works on nothing but Mercedes and VW. He's been in business here for like 41 yrs. He quoted me a price to replace my TB for $270.00 + parts. That's a heck of a deal !

Chip
USCGChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 22:59   #14
zukvw
Veteran Member

i recently ordered my timing belt kit from blau, i am actually in the process of doing my timing belt, the kit i ordered was like $280, but it has everything- including coolant, and extra stuff like cam & crank seals, thermostat, etc....i am very impressed, and the best part is if you buy a kit from them, they will rent you all the tools you need for $40, and i mean all tools including the seal puller & installers, not just timing tools. and just for the record i have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer...

http://www.blauparts.com/
zukvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:00   #15
waspie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 pkg2!

i'm glad i posted in here cause now i'll be able to find this info again, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukvw View Post
i recently ordered my timing belt kit from blau, i am actually in the process of doing my timing belt, the kit i ordered was like $280, but it has everything- including coolant, and extra stuff like cam & crank seals, thermostat, etc....i am very impressed, and the best part is if you buy a kit from them, they will rent you all the tools you need for $40, and i mean all tools including the seal puller & installers, not just timing tools. and just for the record i have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer...

http://www.blauparts.com/
waspie is offline   Reply With Quote