www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 30th, 2011, 17:17   #1
Professor121

TDI(s): 2009 jetta
Fuel Economy: 43mpg
Default Effects of battery removal on 2009 jetta

In deciding to remove the battery and battery tray to replace the dsg oil filter I found out what is reset in the computer. There appears to be three things that power loss causes in the car.

1) the steering light is lit, the esp indicator is on solid, and the brake light is on. To remedy that, I had to turn the steering wheel hard left, then hard right, then center. When I did that (in my case) the indicator lights cleared.

2) the windows had to be run down and the buttons held for one second, then the window were run up. This did the "window reset" .

3) The last problem did not show up until I tried to play my ipod through the Aux. input. I discovered that pressing the CD button did not put the radio into aux. in. This turned out to be the hardest problem to solve.

Fortunately, when I bought my vcds cable I did a full diagnostic scan and stored it in the log file right away, thinking I would look through the file later (out of curiousity). When I ran the diagnostic on the radio using vagcom, I found 5 faults.

00870 - bass speaker front left (r21) 011-open circuit
00871 - bass speaker front right (r23) 011-open circuit
00872 - bass speaker rear left (r15) 011-open circuit
00873 - bass speaker rear right (r17) 011-open circuit
00003 - control module 014-defective.

By comparing the software coding from when I first had the car with no faults my coding was 0010011.
After the battery was back in the car, the coding was 0010400.

Hope this helps out anyone who plans on replacing their battery . . .
Old January 30th, 2011, 17:23   #2
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

For those in areas where you have to pass emissions inspections:

Next time you have to remove the battery also check OBDII readiness in the engine module.

Normally removing the battery clears OBDII readiness - not an issue for most, but if you are in a state with a manditory emissions inspection and it's coming up, you might not pass unless you drive the car for a while to set OBDII readiness. In Illinois you don't get a fail, you just get a slip that says "Not Ready" and you have to waste another 45 minutes coming back. Fortunately, this only applies to gassers, but I know other states check diesels.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 17:33   #3
Professor121

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post
For those in areas where you have to pass emissions inspections:

Next time you have to remove the battery also check OBDII readiness in the engine module.

Normally removing the battery clears OBDII readiness - not an issue for most, but if you are in a state with a manditory emissions inspection and it's coming up, you might not pass unless you drive the car for a while to set OBDII readiness. In Illinois you don't get a fail, you just get a slip that says "Not Ready" and you have to waste another 45 minutes coming back. Fortunately, this only applies to gassers, but I know other states check diesels.
I forgot about that, but since I drive an hour to work each day it probably self cleared automatically. Also, I was reading about battery drain issues by the radio if there are faults not cleared. I do not know if that affected me, because of a fairly good battery and I drive the car a couple of hours each day . . . or I got lucky
Old January 31st, 2011, 00:41   #4
Henrick
Veteran Member

OP:
did you manage to clear the "00003 - control module 014-defective." code?

I also have the same one after removing my battery but it comes back right after I clear it. Any ideas how to get rid of it?
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:06   #5
Professor121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
OP:
did you manage to clear the "00003 - control module 014-defective." code?

I also have the same one after removing my battery but it comes back right after I clear it. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Yes, recoding the radio correctly cleared all 5 of my faults.
I had the same issue. Everytime I cleared my faults they would come back. It wasnt until I recoded that the faults automatically cleared.

Last edited by Professor121; January 31st, 2011 at 06:09.
Professor121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:54   #6
Henrick
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't know what my original coding was.
At the moment it is 0020200 and I don't have any speakers in rear doors.. Confused..
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:09   #7
FowVay
Veteran Member

Wow, when I removed my battery the only thing I got was a steering wheel light. It went away before I hit the end of my driveway for a test-drive.

I never experienced window or radio problems at all. This is odd.
FowVay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:19   #8
KirbDog

Quote:
3) The last problem did not show up until I tried to play my ipod through the Aux. input. I discovered that pressing the CD button did not put the radio into aux. in. This turned out to be the hardest problem to solve.
No wonder my Aux Input doesn't work anymore!......not that I use it.

Is there any way to fix this without VAGCOM?

Build Date: 02/2009
KirbDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:31   #9
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbDog View Post
No wonder my Aux Input doesn't work anymore!......not that I use it.

Is there any way to fix this without VAGCOM?
I've seen this a number of times and unfortunately the radio will need to be recoded. There's no other way to fix it, and it's a really bizzare behavior to begin with.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 17:45   #10
Professor121

I agree with dzcad90. You not only have to have vagcom (vcds) but you need to know what your radio software (soft) code is. Other than that, I would have had to give up (declare I was beaten) and go to the dealership with the hope of bribing a technician. That failing, have the dealership recode the radio.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 19:57   #11
Tnsee894

I just replaced my battery, the steering light and traction light both came on but turned off after driving 200-300 yds. But when I shut the engine down the cooling fans come on and wont shut down. The engine temp is good. cant figure it... Did I smoke a sensor when I jumped it off???? Any ideas?
Tnsee894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 20:25   #12
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

When I changed my DSG fluid, I also removed the battey. I did not have any issues as described in post #1.

I did notice that a few lights on the instrument cluster were illuminated but after I buttoned everything up, restarted, and took my car for a drive, the lights went off almost immediately.

Tonight, I also checked whether the aux. input was working and it worked fine.

So, I don't know why some have the issue and others don't. Did you happen to touch the positive and negative cables together when they were disconnected?
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:50   #13
KirbDog

Quote:
...I don't know why some have the issue and others don't. Did you happen to touch the positive and negative cables together when they were disconnected?
When I disconnected my battery (way back in the summer time) I did not touch the cables together, but I did get the "steering wheel" light, the screwed-up windows, and the Aux Input failure. The Steering Wheel light gave me the willies for a second until I turned the steering wheel through its full range of motion.......pure intuition told me to do that!

I didn't fix (or rather, know how to fix) the disabled auto up/down feature of the windows until someone else posted the solution on the forum.

I didn't even realize the disabled Aux Input was a result of disconnecting the battery until this thread.

Build Date: 02/2009
KirbDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 13:17   #14
Henrick
Veteran Member

Tried recoding my radio with various combinations of soft coding (some won't even commit) but still could not get rid of the 'defective module' fault code
Old February 6th, 2011, 16:15   #15
Professor121

[QUOTE=Henrick;3280064]Tried recoding my radio with various combinations of soft coding (some won't even commit) but still could not get rid of the 'defective module' fault code [/QUOTE)

Did you try the coding I used and posted?
Maybe an email to ross-tech support may help . . .