www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:32   #76
TDIbythesea

Fuel Economy: 47.3 best
Default Hpfp

I'm currently having my HPFP and whole fuel system replaced @ the dealership under warranty and I was told it was due to contaiminated fuel. Two days before that the Glow plug light was flashing and my vehicle went into a limp mode the warning message came on to service now and and I had it towed to the dealer. Service told me that the problem was a sensor (fuel pressure sensor) and that they would have the part overnight which was replaced the next day. After picking up my vehicle and driving it, just about 5 miles from home the MIL came on, I called the dealership the next morning and service told me to have it towed back it in and not to drive it. I asked if my engine had been damaged and I was told no and that they had caught the problem in time .. Warranty work to start this week - at this point I have no idea what to expect and what's really going on after reading all these posts about HPFP! Certainly not contaiminated fuel -

Can someone tell me how I would know if the engine was damaged and is it necessary to replace the entire fuel system when replacing the HPFP?

Concerned Newbie - 2010 Jetta TDi 34,800 miles

Last edited by TDIbythesea; June 22nd, 2012 at 08:03.
TDIbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 17:29   #77
waltzconmigo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

bythesea---
since no one else has chimed in yet, i am sure someone more knowledgeable than i will be by shortly. your engine should be fine, i have never heard of anyone having their engine replaced because of a hpfp failure. you should be getting the 4th gen. pump. i do not know if any of these have failed or not. i believe some have e-mailed voa cc and that the hpfp is covered under the 5/60 warranty, i would do this and save the correspondence. there have been some with a second failure but this is even more rare than a first time failure. back to your questions, yes the whole fuel system needs to be replaced because small metal flakes make their way through out the whole system. it is good to see that you are reading about this issue, in the tdi news section above the 101 section there is a thread regarding the investigation into this failure. volkswagen was required to give information and some news should be coming in the next month or so(my guess).

good luck, keep reading and keep us informed. also, at the top of this section there is a thread going where tdi club members are tracking known failure here, please post there. one last thing, have you reported your failure to the nhtsa, this needs to be done.

ciao,
waltz
waltzconmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:05   #78
Kirk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 61/52/42 for the 2000, 55/49/43 for the 2013

Doesn't Oregon mandate 5% biodiesel for road diesel? I had thought it would help lubricate the pump, but you still seem to have the problem. Is it possible that the "contaminated fuel" was a result of a bad batch of bio being added by the distributor? That would open up a whole can of worms...
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:15   #79
TDIbythesea

Fuel Economy: 47.3 best

Waltz,

Thanks for responding to my questions and for the helpful info. Lots of reading on this site and helpful for sure! I have my car back and all seems to be running good. The entire fuel system was replaced except for the fuel tank.
TDIbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 14:30   #80
giavid

Thumbs down Wow!!!!

I could have written some of these past posts. My 2010 Jetta TDI died on me while I was three hours away from my home. I was told it was due to bad fuel as well. We were on a road trip (8hrs one way) and had filled up that morning. I had driven about 5 hours before it died!!!They are replacing the entire fuel system too. How am I supposed to know what fuel station has good diesel? I know the fault was not mine. I can't afford to be without my car again for 2 to 3 weeks. As soon as I get my car back I will be trading it in even though I am upside down on my loan.
I loved my TDI but with this issue always being a threat I will not be able to recomend this car to anyone. VW needs to fix this issue.
giavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 16:17   #81
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

File a report with NHTSA.

Please post your details on the HPFP failure "sticky".

Sorry for your troubles!
Old July 5th, 2012, 21:23   #82
megadraulico

Default I could have written some of these past posts

If you purchased your last tankful of diesel at a diesel truck stop (recommended), it is unlikely that the fuel was contaminated. Most of the late model big trucks on the highway have common rail fuel systems with similar high pressure gear type fuel pumps, so all the big truck stops filter the diesel before it gets to the pump. The car is equipped with a filter that traps most contaminants down to 10 microns, and separates and coalesces water. If the contaminants that screw up the pump are smaller, or If the problem is a lack of lubricity in the fuel, either way, this is VW’s problem to resolve if they want to sell these cars in the US. It is not clear if the dealer will fix your car under warranty, I hope they will, although they usually try to dump the blame on the owner.
Please post your woes, report the problem to NHTSA and write Vokswagen of America also, they should recall these vehicles.
megadraulico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:31   #83
amy1000

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: 40
Default High Pressure Fuel Pump

My 2010 TDI's glow plug started flashing two weeks ago and went into limp mode. Called dealer, they said to recycle (turn off and on) and it should be fine but bring in to check it out. Diagnostics didn't show any problem. Could be the fuel rail they said, no mention of HPFP problem. Then driving a week later after a quick acceleration to get on the highway, flashing light and limp mode. Pulled over, restarted and seemed fine. But sluggish. I took it back to the dealer. Yesterday they said they are trying to get VW to approve replacing the fuel pump ($1700) at no charge. Last nite read all the posts (horror stories), while my car never died, I am concerned about the same thing happening to me. I called dealer this morning and asked if they read the posts about HPFP and he said he didn't listen to hearsay. I asked if he was aware of the problem and he said yes. I asked if I had any metal shards in my fuel filter and he said no. I hope this new HPFP fixes the problem.

I have 54,000 miles on my not yet 2 year old Jetta...warranty up, but is it?
amy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:43   #84
gerry100
Veteran Member

When we bought our '11 jetta tdi, I inquired and was told that the HPFP was covered under the 5yr/60k warranty
Reports of people w failures have supported this
I would think you'd be OK
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:40   #85
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy1000 View Post
My 2010 TDI's glow plug started flashing two weeks ago and went into limp mode. Called dealer, they said to recycle (turn off and on) and it should be fine but bring in to check it out. Diagnostics didn't show any problem. Could be the fuel rail they said, no mention of HPFP problem. Then driving a week later after a quick acceleration to get on the highway, flashing light and limp mode. Pulled over, restarted and seemed fine. But sluggish. I took it back to the dealer. Yesterday they said they are trying to get VW to approve replacing the fuel pump ($1700) at no charge. Last nite read all the posts (horror stories), while my car never died, I am concerned about the same thing happening to me. I called dealer this morning and asked if they read the posts about HPFP and he said he didn't listen to hearsay. I asked if he was aware of the problem and he said yes. I asked if I had any metal shards in my fuel filter and he said no. I hope this new HPFP fixes the problem.

I have 54,000 miles on my not yet 2 year old Jetta...warranty up, but is it?
You have a 5 year /60,000 mile power train warranty, you are covered. See my other post on how to get this resolved.. You must file a NHTSA report online, as I specified in my other post.

That will get the ball rolling with VW that they can't play these types of games screwing unsuspecting customers on their faulty designed HPFP's by Bosch, and that they have to make it right.

Do you almost always fill up with diesel in PA? or where do you usually fill up, in what state?
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 15:58   #86
MPGHog

Hello All, I hope this is the right place to post.. I just bought a 2010 Jetta 6 spd TDI with 115,000 miles on it, great condition and all hwy miles, with all the service receipts from VW dealers. I didn't know about the HPFP problem till after I bought it, but love the car.

The car was one of the first made the owner said, produced in 7/09 in Mexico... which leads me to believe it could be an earlier model pumps, hence my worry that I bought a nightmare in the making. Now I wish I bought an 03-08 model...

Knowing that VWOA covers cars over the 60k hpfp warranty mark randomly... one here straightliner with 142,000 miles on his 09 and another user on tdiclub or somewhere else with 105,000 miles... My question is, now that I have it, should I sell it or wait till the 120k mark when I replace the timing belt and do a preventative hpfp replace with a newer "redesign" hpfp? Also is there a way to find out if my car has gone through a hpfp replacement already? I'd appreciate some opinions..

Now I'm afraid to drive it, and thinking about using my 2000 TDI only instead until I come up with a solution.
MPGHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 16:18   #87
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGHog View Post
....The car was one of the first made the owner said, produced in 7/09 in Mexico... which leads me to believe it could be an earlier model pumps, hence my worry that I bought a nightmare in the making. Now I wish I bought an 03-08 model...

Knowing that VWOA covers cars over the 60k hpfp warranty mark randomly... one here straightliner with 142,000 miles on his 09 and another user on tdiclub or somewhere else with 105,000 miles... My question is, now that I have it, should I sell it or wait till the 120k mark when I replace the timing belt and do a preventative hpfp replace with a newer "redesign" hpfp? Also is there a way to find out if my car has gone through a hpfp replacement already? I'd appreciate some opinions..

Now I'm afraid to drive it, and thinking about using my 2000 TDI only instead until I come up with a solution.
"Volkswagen implemented design changes for the HPFP in May 2008, September 2009 and November 2010 to improve the robustness of the pump when used with poor quality fuel." So, you do have one of the early pumps in your TDI if it hasn't been replaced.

Also, I'm not aware of VW honoring a HPFP claim out of warranty for the second owner. IIRC, they have denied several.

Take a picture of your HPFP tag and post the pic. It will show the date of manufacture.

IIRC, someone was able to get the latest rev. pump for around $760. The problem is that no one knows how well the latest rev. pump will hold up. Hopefully, better than the earlier versions. You'll have to decide what to do. Spending $760 isn't a lot if you know you'd be good for a long time.

Last edited by Plus 3 Golfer; July 25th, 2012 at 16:21.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 18:35   #88
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Plus 3: $760? Do you recall where you heard/read that? The best price I've been quoted is $1100+, new, Czech Republice, from the dealer.

I'm thinking of proactively replacing my early production HPFP, but not at $1100!
Old July 25th, 2012, 19:48   #89
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Plus 3: $760? Do you recall where you heard/read that? The best price I've been quoted is $1100+, new, Czech Republice, from the dealer.

I'm thinking of proactively replacing my early production HPFP, but not at $1100!
Here's the post. I did google Diesel Equipment Co. in NC and it it looks a distributor. So that may be a wholesale price. It wouldn't hurt to call.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 19:50   #90
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Parts for cheap from North Carolina? I shudder at the thought............

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote