www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 28th, 2012, 14:33   #556
SD26
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Almost 51MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8loop View Post
I've got to admit, I'm disapointed that we are seeing coolant temp swings with the Hybrid T-stat. It is good however that the Wahler unit does seem to be getting us slightly higher, and also has a good construction build quality-Glad Frankencar mentioned it to us.
I guess I put the temperature swings on me... Impatience, lack of attention to detail... I'm disappointed in myself, but I'm not done yet.

I was wondering if the TDI industrial engine would have a warmer thermostat since it might not have to conform to some emission standards of cars. Something that would be a drop in unit. Did some searching, but I haven't came up with anything as of yet.
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon - totalled
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:30   #557
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Josh, I think I read something about that not too long ago in an older threat, and I wanted you to know that you both are certainly in my thoughts.

Dave,

Thank you my friend
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:37   #558
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
I guess I put the temperature swings on me... Impatience, lack of attention to detail... I'm disappointed in myself, but I'm not done yet.

I was wondering if the TDI industrial engine would have a warmer thermostat since it might not have to conform to some emission standards of cars. Something that would be a drop in unit. Did some searching, but I haven't came up with anything as of yet.

I do recall some mention of a TDI industrial engine but I'm not sure it's any different from what we have now-could be the same animal? Worth further investigation. I was rather meticulous about the reassembly of my "Hybrid" units, but I don't think construction quality or reassembly quality is at play here. It really shouldn't be too difficult to do in the home shop-if it is then we need to figure out a better way of doing it. Perhaps create a way to adjust the length of the T-stat. That way one could do the initial assembly(matching the original stock Stant dimensions), install it and see where it operates. If it operates too hot or cold, it could be removed and adjusted slightly. have any ideas on that front?

For now the 92 Deg C Wahler unit sounds like a sure bet in the interim.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:50   #559
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

SD26,

I'm sure the info you're looking for concerning the Evans' can be found here:

http://www.evanscooling.com/

Good web-site.... until today, haven't been to the Evans website for about a year or so.

df
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:50   #560
SD26
Veteran Member

Thanks, DF! Was on there again, and I couldn't find much that compares and contrasts the new from the old...other than the longevity.

We're on a trip right now... Going through Alabama, there was a huge accident or something, and the weather is really nice! Coolant topped out at 204*F. Still very consistent with most temps between 197-200 with lows of 195-204. (I really want to make a hybrid work...)

On the bad side, my cat broke off at the rear and is now hanging down. Cabin is a little louder but not unbearable. Decisions, decisions...recommendations solicited too... I'm thinking that I'll probably wire it up for the duration of the trip, and then do a more permanent fix when we get home.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 15:34   #561
Rual817
Veteran Member

Default cetane boost = better FE

Does anyone use Power Service injector Cleaner with cetane boost? And has anyone noticed better FE using it?
Here is what i noticed just recently. Couple weeks ago I was at Wally World geting a few things, thought while there top off (1/2 tank). I put 5oz. of PS in every tank (costs $1/ 5oz by the gallon). Not thinking I put a full 5oz instead on 2.5oz for 1/2 tank. Was getting 40.5 mpg, but that tank I got 43 (have not seen that # since). This was before I undestood about cetane levels with certain suppliers. Now I buy Exxon and thought I'd try to see if I could duplicate so I put 10oz. Normally I get 100mi before my mark leaves full, then 100+/ 1/4 tank. which translates to marking 200mi by 3/4 tank. This time I was @ 275 by the 3/4 mark. If this keeps up I may be around 45-48 mpg. Will let you know on next fill in a few days.
Anyone else use PS?
Rual817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 15:47   #562
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Did you remember to add in the volume of the cetane booster onto the fuel volume? I.e., if you put in 30 litres of fuel & 1 litre of booster, that should count as 31 not 30.

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 15:50   #563
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Thanks, DF! Was on there again, and I couldn't find much that compares and contrasts the new from the old...other than the longevity.

We're on a trip right now... Going through Alabama, there was a huge accident or something, and the weather is really nice! Coolant topped out at 204*F. Still very consistent with most temps between 197-200 with lows of 195-204. (I really want to make a hybrid work...)

On the bad side, my cat broke off at the rear and is now hanging down. Cabin is a little louder but not unbearable. Decisions, decisions...recommendations solicited too... I'm thinking that I'll probably wire it up for the duration of the trip, and then do a more permanent fix when we get home.
This is pretty common. The best temporary fix I have seen involves some flat stock and some muffler clamps. Bend the flat stock so it goes from the pipe to your cat (following the contour), then use the muffler clamps to hold it in place.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 16:29   #564
SD26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
This is pretty common. The best temporary fix I have seen involves some flat stock and some muffler clamps. Bend the flat stock so it goes from the pipe to your cat (following the contour), then use the muffler clamps to hold it in place.
That was kind of the idea I was having too...

But a local muffler shop cut out a piece, added a piece, and welded it in for $50. No complaints!
Old April 2nd, 2012, 16:33   #565
SD26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rual817 View Post
Anyone else use PS?
Yes. And I've used two cycle oil, used engine oil, vegetable oil, and other additives.

As much as I wanted to see a difference, my data said otherwise.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:12   #566
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Yes. And I've used two cycle oil, used engine oil, vegetable oil, and other additives.

As much as I wanted to see a difference, my data said otherwise.

Your mileage may not see a difference, but the injection pump and engine might over the long term.

I add 1 oz of 2 cycle oil and 1/2 oz Power Service per gallon of diesel and always have. This was my uncleaned piston (albeit the best one, but all were pretty clean) at 393,000 miles when I replaced the head gasket.

I'm still on the original injection pump as well.

(click picture to enlarge)
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:18   #567
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Your mileage may not see a difference, but the injection pump and engine might over the long term.

I add 1 oz of 2 cycle oil and 1/2 oz Power Service per gallon of diesel and always have. This was my uncleaned piston (albeit the best one, but all were pretty clean) at 393,000 miles when I replaced the head gasket.

I'm still on the original injection pump as well.

(click picture to enlarge)

That is amazingly clean. Could it be that coolant/water was being drawn in, and steam cleaning things a bit? Also, recently I was reading about fuel system lubrication and they have found that the addition of 2-5% addition of good quality BioDiesel makes a much larger impact on fuel system lubrication vs the 2-cycle oil FWIW.
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:55   #568
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rual817 View Post
Does anyone use Power Service injector Cleaner with cetane boost? And has anyone noticed better FE using it?
Here is what i noticed just recently. Couple weeks ago I was at Wally World geting a few things, thought while there top off (1/2 tank). I put 5oz. of PS in every tank (costs $1/ 5oz by the gallon). Not thinking I put a full 5oz instead on 2.5oz for 1/2 tank. Was getting 40.5 mpg, but that tank I got 43 (have not seen that # since). This was before I undestood about cetane levels with certain suppliers. Now I buy Exxon and thought I'd try to see if I could duplicate so I put 10oz. Normally I get 100mi before my mark leaves full, then 100+/ 1/4 tank. which translates to marking 200mi by 3/4 tank. This time I was @ 275 by the 3/4 mark. If this keeps up I may be around 45-48 mpg. Will let you know on next fill in a few days.
Anyone else use PS?
For the last 6 months I've been using a stuff that a friend brought over from UK, its call Miller Diesel Power Sport/ Eco Max. It is injector cleaner and bring the cetane level 5/6 points up effectively making it 52/53 instead of regular 47 claimed by the local garage . Using 0.25ml in a tank of fuel. The bottle is 500ml so you have cover for 20 tanks. The stuff is brilliant. Since I started using it my car runs much, much smoother, quieter, NO SMOKE AT ALL, even during the winter months, just a very small puff when you starting first thing in the morning and that's it. Now when the weather is getting warmer is running without any smoke even under a very heavy acceleration. My MPG went up by 5/6 miles under the same driving condition and driving habits. The cost of a bottle on eBay UK is around $20 bucks plus whatever is the shipping from the UK. Sound expensive I know, but one bottle is good for 20 tanks of diesel. If you start gaining even 4MPG, it will pay for itself in the first few tanks. On a tank you will get about 80 to 100 miles more, this is about 2 gallons of diesel, so you looking around $7,50/8 bucks. Even if you pay $30 including shipping it will cost you around $1.50 a tank, in my calculation this is a bargain.
He was here few weeks back again and I have few more bottles .

You can buy the stuff from UK eBay site. I am sure someone will post to the US.
If you do....DO NOT STORE IT IN YOUR CAR, the stuff smell not very pleasant but it works like a charm. Always use some disposable gloves when you putting it in your car. The bottle is with "smart" lid so you could measure the correct 0.25 ml before you go to your local garage for diesel.
This is a link for the UK parts store selling it:
http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/811125/reviews.htm

ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLERS-DI...item5ad710ddee

Vivere senza rimpianti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RToBymttA
Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 14:29   #569
SD26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Even if you pay $30 including shipping it will cost you around $1.50 a tank, in my calculation this is a bargain.
One could put that same amount of money toward a hybrid thermostat and pay for the thermostat in just a few tanks and then bank the further savings or buy an additive...

This thread is about the concept of using such a thermostat, after all...
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:15   #570
josh8loop
Veteran Member

SD26,

When you assembled your "Hybrid" T-stat, did you notice when you pressed the rear section on that it seemed a bit loose like you could have changed it's position by hand pressure alone? I'm wondering if the inconsistancy of temperature regulation is from the rear bypass disc changing it's position once in service. Remember when the T-stat increases temperature it's length is modulated according to engine temperature. At certain temperatures the rear section is pressed up against the round hole in the block, and if it's not pressed on tightly it may cause it to shorten some changing it's temp regulating characteristics.

The reason I ask is that I noticed when I was playing with some and assembling some that the rear press on sections on some seemed more loose than others. I ended up using a ball peen hammer and gently peen the copper material so that it pressed on a bit tighter than it would have otherwise. You want to get the overall length matched to the original stant 195 Deg unit, while making sure it will not shorten while in service.