www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:26   #31
~Jb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
European prices are *all* higher than North American prices even if you account for the VAT. And it's not just VW, either.
I agree on this, but the OP stated that this would be a 2014 model, automotive prices go up not down on most models that top the previous generation. For the USA the only comparison would be a 2010 loaded TDI or GLI, as the 2011 has gone the opposite way to compete in the US market.

HID Heads & Fogs w/
Euro Switch
Full LED Exterior & Interior
Clear Bra & Tint

42 MPG Average
~Jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:34   #32
BarrieCommuter
Veteran Member

the hands that build german made VWs cost more than the hands that build mexican made VWs. factor that in too.

even if VW brings up the spec to european levels, it likely will still be mexican hands that build the 2014 Jetta. you simply cannot compare markets.
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:42   #33
~Jb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrieCommuter View Post
the hands that build german made VWs cost more than the hands that build mexican made VWs. factor that in too.

even if VW brings up the spec to european levels, it likely will still be mexican hands that build the 2014 Jetta. you simply cannot compare markets.
Super good point, I did not even think of this. Isnt this the reason the current gen Golf cost more then the current gen Jetta? Because the Golf is still made in Germany?

HID Heads & Fogs w/
Euro Switch
Clear Bra & Tint

42 MPG Average
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:09   #34
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
European prices are *all* higher than North American prices even if you account for the VAT. And it's not just VW, either.
I agree on this, but the OP stated that this would be a 2014 model, automotive prices go up not down on most models that top the previous generation. For the USA the only comparison would be a 2010 loaded TDI or GLI, as the 2011 has gone the opposite way to compete in the US market.
Regardless of what NA model you are comparing, you can't simply convert EU VW pricing to NA pricing. It's nice to know that you're aware of this now but you weren't in post #5.
Quote:
last time I checked a euro spec 2.0 JTDI DSG Highline started at 29,000 EUR or 40,000 USD.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:16   #35
diesel313

TDI(s): shortly

You cant compare a german VW to a honda or toyota or hyundai. OK yes i have been driving a lexus for the pat 5 years and they are reliable as hell, but everytime i get into one of my friends german made cars, i think of selling my GS300 for a german car.
diesel313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:48   #36
~Jb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Regardless of what NA model you are comparing, you can't simply convert EU VW pricing to NA pricing. It's nice to know that you're aware of this now but you weren't in post #5.
um ok? As an easy comparison what model does the NA Jetta sportswagen TDI compare with equally equipped EUR Golf Variant TDI?

-EUR Golf Variant "Comfortline" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 28.400,00

-EUR Golf Variant "Highline" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 30.050,00

-EUR Golf Variant "Exclusive" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 32.775,00

-EUR Golf Variant "Style" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 28.725,00

-EUR Golf Variant "Exclusive" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 32.775,00

-NA Jetta SportWagen "Premium Package" 2.0 TDI / DSG is at: $29,150 +TTL

or is there even a comparable model?

HID Heads & Fogs w/
Euro Switch
Clear Bra & Tint

42 MPG Average
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:17   #37
BeetleGo
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41
Default Euro Jetta in USA by 2014?

Who knows, but here's the story...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/27/r...-the-u-s-in-2/

Rumormill: European Volkswagen Jetta could come to the U.S. in 2014

The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta that we get in the United States is a different animal than the one enjoyed throughout Europe. European Jettas are fitted with a multi-link rear suspension setup, upgraded wiring harness to handle more complex optional features and more upscale interior materials. Why don't we get these things? The main answer is cost.

A base Jetta in Germany would cost about $24,000 in the United States, and that is before any taxes are added. That base Jetta also features a less powerful 105-horsepower engine. That is a hefty leap over the North American Jetta's base of $15,995. However, if the new VW Jetta sells well in the States, there is a chance we could start to see some features that the European customers enjoy.

Strong sales would show that the Jetta is in high demand, meaning Volkswagen could realistically introduce the upgraded European features by way of a mid-model change, perhaps by 2014. Will it happen? Somehow, we tend to doubt it... but a lot can happen in three years.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:27   #38
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Exactly.

A Chrysler Voyager minivan has a starting price of over $43K in Europe, and it's even built here.

Prices are not directly comparable.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:32   #39
Dieselfitter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.7mpg@110kph

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel313 View Post

Exactly, 26k bucks for a beautiful car, with keyless entry, push start, navigation, sunroof, 42 miles per gallon. Who gives a crap about plastic dash and independent rear suspension, i dont have that in my mustang and i could care less. You cant buy a ford fusion v6 with cloth for 26k. A Chevy Cruze which i just test drove just for the hell of it is 25k dollars, and i wanted to crash it head on into a wall after driving it.
That would be 'Cruze 'n for a BRUESE 'N'

If you look a the price of a car in Europe in Euros, or any other European Currency and convert that to US$ it comes out higher than what it costs here.

eg. My cousin was visiting us here in Canada in 1993 when my sister wanted to go look at a Brand New Ford Tempo at a Ford Dealership. The Ford Tempo was $10,500 CDN. My Cousin said that a Similar sized Ford in UK would be about 10,000 Pounds Sterling. At that time 10,000 Pounds was about $19,000 CDN! My cousin sat there in DISBELIEF as the Salesman wrote out the DEAL !
Dieselfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:51   #40
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Compare like for like.

Compare a Comfortline Golf vs. a US-spec Golf, similar options.

I think you'll find that the European car is significantly more expensive, and there, it really is the same car (with only mild tweaks here and there to meet different regulations.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 13:16   #41
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

The last time I tried to build a Golf in the German configurator, adding all the stuff the American Golf TDI has standard resulted in a list price of over 27,000€ including VAT.
You guy need to understand that Europeans will not pay MSRP. They will negotiate the price down to at least 15% under msrp and get the dealer to throw in a set of snow tires or something like that.

Also the 1.6 TDI is far more popular (and thousands cheaper) than the 2.0 TDI.
Old January 27th, 2011, 13:40   #42
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Here, a few things happen:

1. Almost everyone tries to negotiate down. They also usually get below MSRP on a gasser - maybe even below invoice.
2. The dealer then makes up for it by screwing the customer on their trade-in and/or on financing.
3. Diesels, under MSRP was rare, last I checked (but that was a while ago.) When the 09s came out, I know there were dealers selling for way over MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 15:00   #43
diesel313

TDI(s): shortly

Bottom line folks is that rubber dash and independent rear suspension which is useless on this diesel vehicle as it is not a 11 second car, is not worth the added 10+ price tag they pay in Europe. Yea the European one would be nice for 26k but not for over 30. VW is all about affordability, at least in the US nobody would fly for a 30 some thousand dollar jetta i never see that happening, people would just step up to an A4 AWD Turbo, i know i would.

A relative of mine lives in Eastern Europe, and he actually came to the US to buy a new ML350 where he paid over 20k dollars less than he would have paid if he had bought it in Germany. Funny isnt it. Point being is i want a new jetta lol anyone want to buy a lexus GS??
diesel313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 15:06   #44
NedWrecks

TDI(s): 2011 Jetta

Quote:

Then here you said: "I also qualified that it was not reasonable enough for me to buy it (That's what "too expensive for my taste" means)."

Im not sure if that was even English?
Wow... You are truly a master communicator, thanks for setting me str8.

(oh, and "I'm" is spelled with an apostrophe)
Old January 27th, 2011, 15:16   #45
~Jb
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel313 View Post
Bottom line folks is that rubber dash and independent rear suspension which is useless on this diesel vehicle as it is not a 11 second car, is not worth the added 10+ price tag they pay in Europe. Yea the European one would be nice for 26k but not for over 30. VW is all about affordability, at least in the US nobody would fly for a 30 some thousand dollar jetta i never see that happening, people would just step up to an A4 AWD Turbo, i know i would.

A relative of mine lives in Eastern Europe, and he actually came to the US to buy a new ML350 where he paid over 20k dollars less than he would have paid if he had bought it in Germany. Funny isnt it. Point being is i want a new jetta lol anyone want to buy a lexus GS??
Exactly

HID Heads & Fogs w/
Euro Switch
Clear Bra & Tint

42 MPG Average