www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 1st, 2011, 15:11   #166
halocline
Veteran Member

I thought the warranty extension went until October 2012. Anybody know what the fate of the 5V bosch steel plugs will be? Are they now discontinued and no longer available as replacements, or will they stay in stock? Remember this isn't a recall, it's a warranty extension, so (at least last time I heard) you had to complain about cold starting to get the new 7V NGK plugs. To me that implies that they need to keep stocking the 5V plugs for those who do not get the 7V.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 17:51   #167
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

No, its "emission service action". What it means is that ALL 04-06 BEW/BHW engined cars apply regardless of history or current problems.
turbocharged798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:14   #168
halocline
Veteran Member

I think the emissions service action 28F6/T9 only applies to cars that did not get the original 28E6/R8 done, i.e. cars that still have the original 7V bosch plugs. For those of us with the steel 5V plugs, the letter says "warranty extension" until 10/31/12, and you have to have a problem with cold starting.

Unless they've since changed it to include all cars that had the bosch plugs as OEM. But, if that's the case, they never sent me a letter and on the VW website when I plug in my VIN it says "no open recalls or campaigns."

I'd like to get this recall done before I get a tune, but I have two concerns. 1) The last time I brought my car to the VW dealer, a 3 month siege of terror ensued, and 2) I'm a bit concerned that the new NGKs might be a bit fragile....3 of the original bosch broke in my car.
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:27   #169
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

What glow plugs are we supposed to be running now? I'm reading circles. Will VCDS tell me which glow plugs I have (or what voltage goes to them at least?)
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:28   #170
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

7 volt ceramic Bosch N10591601 - You don't want these original factory installed plugs because they have a habit of breaking off their ceramic tips and destroying the engine. Or if they break during removal of the GP it requires the cylinder head to come off to get to the broken pieces.

5 volt steel Bosch N10591607 - From the 28E6/R8 recall starting in 2009 and now closed. These plugs were installed with software changes on a reflashed ECM. But later it was found that a hard starting situation occurred in many vehicles when temperatures were around 0 F or below.
Advantages of the steel plug is it will not break off and destroy the engine. The disadvantage is although they are currently still available through the Dealerships and some retail outlets they may not be available in the future. The 28E6/R8 software update may not allow of smooth 0 F cold starting, many members here on the forum have had an aftermarket ECM "tune" software like RocketChip that works well with the 5v glow plugs in 0 F or below situations.

7 volt ceramic NGK N10591609 - From the 28F6/T9 warranty extension starting in Jan 2011 until October 31, 2012. These Glow Plugs along with a new Glow Plug Control Module (no changes in the Passat) and ECM Update Flash, fixed the 0 F or below cold starting issues the 5v Bosch plugs had. They are ceramic tipped, so durability issues may or may not come up in the future. It does however have a steel sheath around the ceramic except for the very tip to strengthen it.
Many have had very good results using these plugs. The problem that many are facing is this is not a mandatory recall. So it has been at a dealership's discretion to proceed with this action. Most have gotten this action by merely saying the car has a "hard starting situation". While other dealerships need proof of hard starting or have no clue that this service action exist.

You will have to go with what you are more comfortable with. If you don't have a cold starting issue, then keeping the 5v Bosch steel plugs for durability maybe best. But if you have cold starting issues, then maybe 7v NGK ceramic plugs are best. You'll need to figure that out yourself.

Last edited by DeliveryValve; November 18th, 2011 at 11:19. Reason: added more info.
DeliveryValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:07   #171
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I feel for the poor people who have to buy replacement glow plugs for the BEW cars years from now. Imagine some guy 10 years form now who never been on tdiclub or ever heard about the glow plug recall trying to get a replacement glow plug for his BEW/BHW. Who knows even if the dealers will have a clue what glow plugs to use in what car.

This is exactly why ALL BEW/BHW cars should be recalled and NGK 09 glow plugs be installed to keep things consistent. Nothing is worse that random different glow plugs is different cars.
turbocharged798 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:24   #172
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

It's already screwed up in the aftermarket world. I ordered a set of part number N10591607 at my favorite local parts supplier a few weeks ago. Thinking that it would be Bosch plugs but wondered why the price was so much cheaper then other online places, what came in was a Meyle glow plug that was 11 volts. I never conveyed that I wanted Bosch plugs to the parts guy and the N10591607 defaulted to those plugs upon lookup. So with a little searching, he was able to get the proper 5v Bosch plugs.
The future is here, this is a big mess today. I am sure some unknowing people have all sorts incorrect glow plugs installed in their cars already.

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:36   #173
Tbone77

I've got the 5v steel plugs in
my car. I called the dealer and they said that they have to find a problem or it will not be covered and I'd be stuck with the diag cost.

My car starts fine at the moment so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I should just buy a set of spare plugs right now to have on hand
Tbone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:46   #174
johnboy00
Veteran Member

IIRC, there don't seem to be cases where the plugs work and then don't work. So if you have steel plugs and they worked through last winter, you will probably never have a problem unless the plugs fail.

As far as plug availability, VW had to procure at least 50,000 of these (for 04/05 Passats) plus enough to supply all jetta/golfs that needed them. I don't think they'll be running out any time soon. But like DeliveryValve says, you may need to be specific about what part number you need.

2005 Passat Wagon
1999.5 Golf
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:13   #175
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

After looking back through the thread I see no one has posted part numbers for the other relays or control modules needed for this. Could someone who has had this done post those please?
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:32   #176
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
After looking back through the thread I see no one has posted part numbers for the other relays or control modules needed for this. Could someone who has had this done post those please?
For the 28F6/T9 service action from the TSB. Just the ECM reflash, glow plugs and glow plug control module. No other relays required.
From the TSB..

Quote:
Section A - Golf, Jetta/Jetta Wagon, and New Beetle:

Installing New Glow Plugs, Glow Plug Control Module, and Engine Control Module Update - Programming (Flashing) using Software Version Management (SVM)

NGK Short ceramic Glow Plug = N 105 916 09 = quantity 4

Glow Plug Control Module = 038 907 281 D = quantity 1

New Beetle/ New Beetle Cabrio 1.9L = Software PN 038997016S, Version 0283, SVM unit code 3456

Golf /Jetta/Jetta Wagon 1.9L = Software PN 038997016R, Version 0282, SVM unit code 3456

For the 28F6/T9 service action on the Passat, just ECM reflash and glow plugs only. From the TSB..

Quote:
Section B – Passat/Passat Wagon:

Installing New Glow Plugs, and Engine Control Module Update - Programming (Flashing) using Software Version Management (SVM).

NGK Short ceramic Glow Plug = N 105 916 09 = quantity 4

Passat/ Passat Wagon = Software PN 038997016T, Version 0314, SVM unit code 3456
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:58   #177
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Thank you!
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:27   #178
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/ has the GP and module for $98. I will be trying the dealer one more time Wednesday morning for the TSB service. If they fail again I will buy and install the parts and take it in for the reflash. Wonder what that alone will cost me?
Old November 20th, 2011, 21:55   #179
halocline
Veteran Member

I couldn't find the current 7V ngks on the idparts website. I found the 5V steel bosch. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:53   #180
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Come to think about it, I don't think I saw them either. You can always e-mail Peter there and ask him as to the status of them.

--Nate