Speaker issue

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
My right rear speaker lately has been making some noise on and off again. It will crackle and have static. I really don't know how else to describe it, but does it with volume up of all the way off. I'm thinking it's the amp or head unit itself, I can't see it being the speaker since with the volume all the way down it will make the noise also. Has anyone else had this problem before? If it's the amp then I go ahead and buy that dynaudio amp that's been talked about here. Any input is appreciated.

klrman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
No idea. Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do. My suggestion:

1. Check to see if this happens for all input sources to the HU, or is limited to one (FM or CD etc.) If just one input causes the problem, then it's probably a bad HU or input source (if external).

2. Find a helper with the same HU or model that uses same wiring harness, swap, and check for the problem. See if the problem swaps with the HUs, then it was the HU. If you are still having the trouble with the new HU, then the problem lies in the speakers, or in the wiring to the speakers.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
D-Cell Mekanick:
Purchase a VCDS / VagCom which will diagnose the speaker system. That, or reach out to a nearby TDIClub member who happens to owns a VCDS. With this software the operator can run a full bandwidth audio test signal to anyone of the Jetta's speakers. This procedure would side step the vehicles head unit; there's a seperate test for the HU.

FWIW, The right rear door tweeter in my MY06 Jetta TDI displays an On again, Off again malfunction error code. The actual tweeter defect is rarely heard.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
If I can get the code for it, I have a spare head unit we can try.

I'm also getting REALLY close to 40K ;)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Jason:

That sounds alot like the same issue I'm having with Liath's sound system. Does it happen constantly, or is it an intermittent problem? Mine is intermittent and personally, I think this problen is the result of a dirty of loose wiring connection creating static/interference in that line. I pulled the HU and checked the connection at the back of the radio, but everything looked clean and tight there. It has been just too cold to try and find/inspect the other connections. Does anyone suppose this might be the result of a chafed wire causing a ground? Wouldn't that cause the speaker to just cut out and stop working? Anyway, keep us informed on what you find out!

Don:

Sounds like you need a warm place to do a 40k service! Wish I had such a place, but I think I know of a few people who do:D! Would that service also include a DSG refill?

Dan

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
If I can get the code for it, I have a spare head unit we can try.
I'm also getting REALLY close to 40K ;)
That would be good if you could scan it to see if it even threw a code. Buy the fluid and filter and we can change it just about any time. Shouldn't take as long to do this time since it's so cold out. Plus we can also do oil & filter and fuel filter as well. Just let me know when your ready.

Jason:
That sounds alot like the same issue I'm having with Liath's sound system. Does it happen constantly, or is it an intermittent problem? Mine is intermittent and personally, I think this problen is the result of a dirty of loose wiring connection creating static/interference in that line. I pulled the HU and checked the connection at the back of the radio, but everything looked clean and tight there. It has been just too cold to try and find/inspect the other connections. Does anyone suppose this might be the result of a chafed wire causing a ground? Wouldn't that cause the speaker to just cut out and stop working? Anyway, keep us informed on what you find out!
Don:
Sounds like you need a warm place to do a 40k service! Wish I had such a place, but I think I know of a few people who do:D! Would that service also include a DSG refill?
Dan
Yep that sounds like my problem, comes and goes as it pleases. Gunna be hard to narrow it down. I'm kinda hopeing it's the amp, I want to do that Dynaudio amp swap anyways. This may help persuade me if I can narrow it down.

klrman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
...VCDS. With this software the operator can run a full bandwidth audio test signal to anyone of the Jetta's speakers
Impressive! Yet another reason to be happy I splurged on VCDS!

kpaske

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My 06.5 has the same intermittent crackling problem in the drivers side rear door. Giving it a good smack seems to temporarily fix it leading me to believe it's a poor connection somewhere.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
My 06.5 has the same intermittent crackling problem in the drivers side rear door. Giving it a good smack seems to temporarily fix it leading me to believe it's a poor connection somewhere.
Wow I forgot all about this thread. Heres an update for you, after I swapped the amp for the Dynaudio I haven't heard the crackle. Hope that helps!