www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:39   #1
Jackiechan005

Fuel Economy: ~40 MPG
Default ESP Error

On cold starts when it takes a little longer to turn over, I get a message on the MFD,"ESP error" as the engine turns over and it beeps. The engine turns over and the message goes away. Not sure what the ESP has to do with starting the engine. Any thoughts?
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:50   #2
Biffster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

Your car is having difficulty reading your mind.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:17   #3
Jackiechan005

I found this article : http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswa...weeks-ago.html

I have the same issue, except my car turns over. I will check to see if my ECM wires are corroded.
Old January 17th, 2011, 14:08   #4
OldManWinter
Veteran Member

@Jackie - Are you waiting for the glow plug light to go out before you crank it?
OldManWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:01   #5
Jackiechan005

I do wait for the glow plug light to go out
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:32   #6
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Corroded ECM wires? Do you live down wind of a salt factory? I seriously doubt you have corroded wires on such a new car.

Are you still under warranty? If so, get it to a dealer and have them scan it. It could be a sensor problem.

How cold is it for these cold starts? Any issues on warm/hot restarts? Your more likely culprit is a weak battery. Despite the car being so new, there have been '09 TDI owners who had to replace their batteries when the car was still fairly young.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 15:49   #7
T D I

Just had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 Jetta TDI last week, but after 25 cranks I got it running... It's been a year since the original message was posted, has anyone encountered this problem before? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
D.
T D I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 16:50   #8
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Start reading the Iced Intercooler thread.
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:09   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

ESP uses ABS controler, a yaw sensor, and a sensor on the steering rack. My guess is the steering rack sensor may be loosing continuity when shaking/cranking over. Not sure where the sensor is located but would be worth a try locating it and double checking the connection.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 15:32   #10
T D I

It was an iced up inter cooler, dealer quoted me over $1500 for a kit to fix their design flaw since my warranty ended 4000 km ago... Thanks for the tip MayorDJQ... After the numerous problems with this car - from check engine light leading to glow plug sensor replacement, to the recent fuel line recall and replacing several door latches, this might be the last nail in the coffin of me leaving the brand...
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:21   #11
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D I View Post
It was an iced up inter cooler, dealer quoted me over $1500 for a kit to fix their design flaw since my warranty ended 4000 km ago... Thanks for the tip MayorDJQ... After the numerous problems with this car - from check engine light leading to glow plug sensor replacement, to the recent fuel line recall and replacing several door latches, this might be the last nail in the coffin of me leaving the brand...
I hear ya. I would go back to an ALH TDI in a heartbeat if I could find a decent one that didn't have a ridiculous price tag on it. Another idea I've been toying with is a Ford Focus. It's rated for 39mph highway and people on Fuelly.com seem to be getting those numbers. My friend and neighbor also happens to work at a Ford dealership, and I can get a discount on Ford, GM, or Crapsler products through my job, since the company has such a large fleet of the Big 3.

The dealer (VW only!) that checked my I/C pipes yesterday played dumb about even knowing there was an ongoing issue. After I asked about the TSB (which I left a printed copy of on the seat) he then admitted that he's gotten "probably 50" calls about people having similar issues and VW is working on a fix. I asked about the already-existing intercooler kit and again he played dumb, but then admitted that he ordered 5 to have on hand but they're on backorder.

My frustration level was high yesterday.
Old December 29th, 2011, 13:03   #12
T D I

I am waiting to hear about my complaint at VW Canada. Ironically I just this morning paid off a 2011 golf 2.5. After buying two VWs in as many years, I expected to be treated better than this. Especially since this is an existing issue and I am only 4,000 km over warranty.

My next course of action will depend on what their reply is. Another dealer I spoke with reported over a dozen TDIs being found to have ice in there recently.

There are good dealers and bad dealers, I have seen both. Sorry to hear about your VW experience with this. Was considering a Ford as well...
Old December 29th, 2011, 17:00   #13
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D I View Post
I am waiting to hear about my complaint at VW Canada. Ironically I just this morning paid off a 2011 golf 2.5. After buying two VWs in as many years, I expected to be treated better than this. Especially since this is an existing issue and I am only 4,000 km over warranty.

My next course of action will depend on what their reply is. Another dealer I spoke with reported over a dozen TDIs being found to have ice in there recently.

There are good dealers and bad dealers, I have seen both. Sorry to hear about your VW experience with this. Was considering a Ford as well...
Sue in small claims court. Known defect, etc. Worth a try. More folks should do it. I've had the issue, but when I took the car to the dealer was told "couldn't reproduce the problem". It's documented and you can be sure if it ever happens when the warranty is expired (in about 45,000 more km) I will be pointing to the documentation, and will be suing if they don't fix it. It's my 5th VW, and my wife is starting to think of a replacement for her B5 Passat (230,000 km). If there's going to be a sixth, they'd better step up to the plate.
05 Passat TDI
Toys: 79 Beech Sundowner, 12 Cervelo R3 Team Ultegra, '94 Marinoni Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 21:28   #14
pkhoury
Veteran Member

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread. I got the same error, and I'm getting all KINDS of crap in VCDS. In my case, it would say ESP error while I was driving, the car would shut off, and I shifted to neutral and started back up (so as not to cause an accident).
1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:26   #15
sflier
Veteran Member

Sounds like a low battery. I bet the voltage is dropping below a minimum and it sets a warning indicator. That beep also goes off on mine if I forgt to wait for the glowplug light to go out before cranking.
sflier is offline   Reply With Quote