www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 12th, 2011, 14:06   #1
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46
Default Air bag code 00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)

Has anyone dealt with this code?

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
Part No: 1C0 909 605 C
Component: 09 AIRBAG VW61 04 0003
Coding: 12345
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 244C38CD9EA9
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Where on the car is this located? seat belt latch?
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 14:51   #2
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Steering Wheel airbag - or somewhere between there and the controller...

Have fun,

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 15:06   #3
thundershorts
Veteran Member

think its drivers side seat airbag..yellow connector under seat
Old January 12th, 2011, 15:18   #4
JETaah

On the wiring schematic in Bentley it shows N95 - driver's side airbag igniter to be hooked in series between the "Airbag spiral return spring/Return spring with slip ring"
Somehow, I equated spiral return spring with the seat belt.
You say steering wheel? Anyone else agree?
Old January 12th, 2011, 15:32   #5
ymz
Veteran Member

Steering wheel... possibly a connection at the so-called "clock-spring"... could also be a problem with the grounding at the airbag controller...

Yuri

Old January 12th, 2011, 16:47   #6
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Yes, it could be the clock spring. It could be other items as well, including the ignighter. In dealing with a friend's 1.8 T Golf on this, I discovered that the clock spring assembly is completely different for cars with ESP and on ones with out. On cars with, the steering angle sensor is incorporated into the clock spring assembly. There is a very detailed procedure to index this correctly on ESP VWs that is explained in the Bentley manual.

Disconnect the battery before messing with the air bag system and do not use a VOM (volt-ohm meter) with the air bag connected.

--Nate
Old January 12th, 2011, 20:02   #7
MOGolf
Veteran Member

As they said it is the steering wheel mounte airbag. They come off/install just like on the A4 platform cars with the use of a small blade screwdriver to press the locking springs.
Old January 21st, 2011, 14:07   #8
JETaah

Stay tuned...I have yet to dig into this. BTW, thanks for the info.

Last edited by JETaah; January 21st, 2011 at 15:52.
Old January 21st, 2011, 14:16   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Most likely culprit for that DTC is the clockspring under the steering wheel.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:56   #10
jumpin_joe

TDI(s): MK4 Golf

I also had the same code come up. I replaced the clock spring with the Dorman 525-701, it is identical to the original (even has the VW and Audio symbols) but it came with this orange plug secure clip that does not fit over the yellow plug from the steering column to the back of the clock spring.

the yellow plug will clip in but there is still room to push it in further but it won't stay there by itself. There is no way to tiewrap it on, maybe tape but i would think that it could just slide back over time, I dont even know if that's causing a problem. Anyone else experience this?
jumpin_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 15:40   #11
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Sounds like its definitely wrong part. With something as critical as an airbag system it might not be the wisest choice to chintz on an incorrect part, when the correct part is readily available
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:04   #12
jumpin_joe

TDI(s): MK4 Golf

That's the right part and its the same part of a few different VW cars actually. The orange secure clip is useless on the Golf model though. I secured it with tape and tested it again, changing the code from static to sporradic. It looked OEM but there's a really small difference in the pins shape (need magnifine glass). Yeah, tried an original spring clock out of a wrecker - no problems.

Don't buy Dorman, spend the extra hundred dollars to go to the VW dealer... if your sure that's the part thats causing the problem as they are not returnable once installed. I talked to a couple of independent VW certified mechanics who said the clock spring rarely ever goes.
jumpin_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:13   #13
Freebore

Fuel Economy: 42 MPG

I've replaced my clockspring twice with OEM parts (first time I know it was faulty as horn stopped working along with the airbag light showing up), but second time it was a waste of time. I did the underseat wiring update that removes the connector and soldered wires direct so I know they are okay - this worked well for over a year. I still get codes from Vag Com saying drivers side wiring faults or something like that, so I have to believe the fault is in the harness somewhere - maybe under the seat or at a grounding location. Another peculiar issue is Vagcom indicates a problem with communicating with the steering. I have no problem with steering, but a wiring issue common to the steering and airbag might be at the root of all this....mines a A5 - BRM.
Old January 13th, 2013, 13:10   #14
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

I've had this code a couple times on my MKIV Golf. When I swapped to a R32 3 spoke from the 4 spoke stock wheel I changed the weight (damper) that is behind the airbag as the one that came with the 3 spoke was different. Well, this one didn't have a good spot for grounding that black cable like the 4 spoke did. So I crimped on an eyelet and put it grounded it on top of the weight. Fast forward 2 years, get the code. Open it up, wire is still there but I decided to drop a little solder in the crimp connection I added for the ground. That cleared it for a couple weeks and it came back. I just moved the ground from on top of the weight to underneath it. That way it is directly touching the metal base of the steering wheel.
With all these ground moves, I've checked resistance and it's always less than 1 ohm from the yellow connector that plugs into the clockspring to actual ground. This is a very finnicky system. From what I've read, it's looking for 2.2 ohms or less on all it's airbags. Another interesting thing I've found is the airbag connector on the harness side has a small coil inside it between the two leads, I'm not sure why... The airbag itself has no resistance which would make sense to me. Anyway, I just successfully cleared my light with the movement of the ground and we'll see how long it stays. If it comes back, I'm going to be looking at the airbag controller under the dash. I've read about them getting cold solder joints on the motherboard inside the case that can wreak havoc with codes.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.

Last edited by Farfromovin; January 13th, 2013 at 13:21.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 15:24   #15
ymz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin View Post
The airbag itself has no resistance which would make sense to me.
I'm not sure I'd want to be checking the resistance of an explosive charge... In addition, the connectors to these devices have a shorting mechanism that comes into play whenever it's unplugged...

Yuri