www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old January 10th, 2011, 12:50   #1
Pyke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Currently Uncalculated, waiting till about 5k miles
Default Debating between an Automatic or Manual 2011 Jetta TDI

So, I am still waiting to hear from my insurance company, but I think I may just fork out the extra cash/take a small 6k loan to get a new vehicle rather than used since I cannot find any used TDI for a good price.

I am in Houston Texas BTW.

Do the automatic DSG have alot of issues that should make me consider buying manual? I have driven manual all my life, and I am ready for automatic now since I do alot of driving, and Houston can be stop and go ALOT. Plus, I just WANT automatic. But, I don't want the DSG if there are alot of issues with it like I read up. So, is manual the way to go? Does gas mileage change significantly if I get manual vs automatic?
Pyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 13:00   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

There is no way I would ever get any Volkswagen product with an automatic transmission if a manual was available, especially since it is usually about $1000 less. Heck, I would have paid $1000 MORE to get a manual in my Passat, had it been available.

And the DSG's shifting habits are probably something I could never get used to anyways.
Old January 10th, 2011, 13:14   #3
DWalk
Veteran Member

Opinions on the DSG vs. 6MT from TDIClub members are all over the place. I really like the DSG on my TDI even though you have to get used to 1 second delay when starting from a standstill. Also, the DSG requires additional maintenance every 40K miles you wouldn't have with a manual.

I have driven manuals my whole life, but the Mrs. can't and wanted to be able to drive my car. The DSG is much better than most automatic transmissions imo.

Here is some good information for your reference:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...de-reviews.htm

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

Last edited by DWalk; January 10th, 2011 at 13:46.
DWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 14:04   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The DSG is the only one available. They have some quirks to them but not something you can't get used to. They require servicing every 40k and the dealers charge around $400 for this alone. It can be done DIY for around $130 or so the second time (after buying the equipment needed). If it grenades itself I think it is around $6k to $8k to replace. It is better than any other I have heard of in relation to mpg. It is also very smooth and quick shifting. I too would vote for the manual though as it is simpler, cheaper, easier to maintain and allows the most control. If you have to have an auto though, it is pretty nice.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 17:47   #5
mo_focus
Veteran Member

i have Golf DSG and Jetta 6spd, i dont notice the turbo lag on the 6spd as much as the DSG. DSG is really fun to drive specially in the sport mode! It will all come down to how bad is the traffic in your area? if you are going to be stuck in it all day then get the DSG(knowing the cost of maintenance!) if you will do highway driving, like myself, then 6spd is the better choice. Better on fuel and cheaper to maintain and to buy!
Old January 10th, 2011, 20:50   #6
NickBeek
Veteran Member

I was having the same debate in my search for a vehicle. $400 to service a trans?!?! Holy smokes! I was leaning towards the manual just because I usually drive a manual, but I was considering the DSG. With the knowledge I just gained here the DSG is out now. Thanks.
NickBeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 20:59   #7
Pyke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Currently Uncalculated, waiting till about 5k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
i have Golf DSG and Jetta 6spd, i dont notice the turbo lag on the 6spd as much as the DSG. DSG is really fun to drive specially in the sport mode! It will all come down to how bad is the traffic in your area? if you are going to be stuck in it all day then get the DSG(knowing the cost of maintenance!) if you will do highway driving, like myself, then 6spd is the better choice. Better on fuel and cheaper to maintain and to buy!
I heard the DSG and manual are the same on fuel economy.

I have driven a manual all my life, but I am starting to believe maybe I shouldn't. One main reason I drive manual is better fuel economy. However, I think I was trained wrong because I also shift to neutral before I stop. I clutch-break too... I dunno, I think DSG might be a better choice for me considering I am new to Diesel. But really, is there a big difference in fuel economy?

And, I plan on getting GEICO insurance for my car, if they cover maintance stuff... so the 400 wont be much for me.
Pyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:20   #8
ShawnG

Fuel Economy: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalk View Post
I have driven manuals my whole life, but the Mrs. can't and wanted to be able to drive my car. The DSG is much better than most automatic transmissions imo.
This is the exact category I fall into. I have a 2011 with DSG and so far--so good.
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:35   #9
DWalk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Yes, there is very little difference given normal driving conditions. The DSG is not a normal auto. Simplistically, think of it as mechanically operating just like a manual transmission but it changes the gear automatically (it has a clutch like a manual instead of a torque converter like most autos). The DSG will actually down shift and engine break while slowing down.

The reason I always drove a manual was because I loved driving a car (not just steering it) and it gives you much more control. The better mpg was just an added benefit. The DSG is as close as you can get to a manual with an auto transmission imo.

Quote:
And, I plan on getting GEICO insurance for my car, if they cover maintance stuff... so the 400 wont be much for me.
Geico pays for general maintenance on your car? (ie oil changes) I have never heard of this.
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:40   #10
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

The DSG is unbeatable in situations where you need to accelerate quickly as one sometimes need to do to merge into fast flowing traffic.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:01   #11
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have driven a manual all my life, but I am starting to believe maybe I shouldn't. One main reason I drive manual is better fuel economy. However, I think I was trained wrong because I also shift to neutral before I stop. I clutch-break too... I dunno, I think DSG might be a better choice for me considering I am new to Diesel. But really, is there a big difference in fuel economy?

I think so, i really want to take wife's car out for a long drive but she cant drive standard so she needs her car. I think if i get on the highway the numbers should be the same since the 6th gear ratios are very close to each other.
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:18   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
They cover breakdowns I believe if you purchase that, not regular maintenance items. Some do it cheaper, some more. Some have reported dropping $1k on the 40k mile service at dealers (regular 40k service plus DSG service).

Last edited by Lightflyer1; January 11th, 2011 at 07:20.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:34   #13
NickBeek
Veteran Member

Teach her to drive a standard. I taught my wife to drive a standard before we even married. The Jetta is very easy to drive as standard transmissions go to.
NickBeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:03   #14
jeepinjason

I am going back and forth on this as well. The financial portion is not really of a concern to me as far as the 40k service as this will be a company car and I will have money set aside for that sort of thing. I have driven both the manual and the auto two different times and I am still up in the air. The fun side wants the manual as I enjoy driving! I had a G35 6M and enjoyed that most of the time, but it was a bit sportier car to begin with and was not my daily driver.

So here is my Pro and Con list, maybe others can add to it.

Pro:
Better experience for a person who really enjoys the mechanics of driving.
Less expensive at time of original purchase.
Less to upkeep.
Cheaper to fix or replace if needed.
Easier to burn out in if that is what you like.
Downshifting can reduce wear on brakes. (although you can downshift with the DSG)

Cons:
Not everyone can drive one. May come into factor if I keep this for one of my kids.
Not everyone that can drive one likes it. (Wife)
More difficult to multi-task while driving a manual. (hard to itch nose while downshifting on a corner)
Sucks with a broken leg or arm. (or both..... from experience)
More to upkeep.
Tough in long traffic commutes.
Missing a gear sucks.
In the case of the TDI DSG the mileage is the same for both.
In high performance cars with the DSG their overall 0-60 time is actually better with the DSG.
Will need to replace a clutch at some point.
jeepinjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:45   #15
~Jb
Veteran Member

I have always owned manual cars, mostly for the fact that I have always owned high performance or tuner cars. The TDI is not a performance or tuner style car in my opinion. I made my choice on the DSG TDI for a couple of reasons, first the dealer in my area had the car exactly as I wanted only in a DSG and was willing to make a deal, but more importantly because as a car enthusiast when I think of DSG I only think of VW.

Lets look at the facts for a second. Borg Warner designed this transmission specifically for Volkswagen, that said this is the only manufacture that I would buy ever DSG from. DSG can achieve faster shift times, and eliminates the torque converter of a conventional epicyclic automatic transmission, and most important, better fuel economy (up to 15% improvement) than conventional planetary geared automatic transmission (due to lower parasitic losses from oil churning) and in some cases better then some manual transmissions.

Not to mention; no loss of torque transmission from the engine to the driving wheels during gear shifts, extremely fast up-shift time of 8 milliseconds when shifting to a gear the alternate gear shaft has preselected, Very smooth gear-shift operations, and consistent shift time of 600 milliseconds regardless of throttle or operational mode.

Sure there are down sides of anything. About the DSG, added operational cost, maintenance fees, ect. but (for me) the opportunity to own and experience the great technology that is the Direct Shift Gearbox, I am willing to take my chances.

HID Heads & Fogs w/
Euro Switch
Full LED Exterior & Interior
Clear Bra & Tint

42 MPG Average
~Jb is offline   Reply With Quote