www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old December 20th, 2010, 17:14   #1
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

Default Hot Shot Secret

Anyone seen this or tried it?

http://www.hotshotsecret.com

Seen it on Truck U on Speed
Old December 20th, 2010, 17:24   #2
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

In a TDI? We don't have oil-fired injectors.
Old December 20th, 2010, 19:06   #3
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

guess that makes sense, guess why thats why they only list the ford diesel
Old December 20th, 2010, 19:12   #4
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Their fuel additive should be good, it's Primrose Fire Power 404.
Old December 20th, 2010, 19:20   #5
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

It is all about are your injectors clean which is not typical on a well maintained TDI.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 20:33   #6
Honeydew
Veteran Member

I sent the link to a neighbor who is planning to have all eight injectors replaced on his 65K mile 6L powerstroke to fix stiction. It may be worth a try to avoid that $1800+ bill.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 20:43   #7
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

Some powerstroke owners swear by ZDDP also to help injectors
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:21   #8
Green Dsl

Fuel Economy: 38 (local) / No highway yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I sent the link to a neighbor who is planning to have all eight injectors replaced on his 65K mile 6L powerstroke to fix stiction. It may be worth a try to avoid that $1800+ bill.
Tell your neighbor to get about 4 cans of Seafoam (about $40). Remove the fuel filter on the engine and remove the diesel fuel. Fill the bowl with Seafoam to the level where the diesel fuel was. Replace the filter (must be done or engine will not start) and start. It will run rough and make a lot of smoke. If that does not help, put 2 to 3 cans in the engine oil and run it hard for about 50 to 100 miles. Drain the oil and put in a good SYNTHETIC oil. I have a Ford 6.0 X with 100K on it and Seafoam has been in the fuel and oil since 15,000 miles. Have never had a turbo or injector stiction issue. I use Royal Purple synthetic oil and lubricants.

04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Red Optimas, Fuel X Over Line, Airdog 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, Fuel Filter Delete, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Front & Rear Diff Cover, 2nd CCV Line and Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

ED
Old December 21st, 2010, 14:41   #9
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

theres solid advice...
use royal purple
Ben Dur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:43   #10
Green Dsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dur View Post
theres solid advice...
use royal purple
You are absolutely right! That is SOLID advice! You see I have actual experience with RP products and don't believe the fairy tales that others put forward who have never tried RP products.

I have and continue to use RP synthetic oils and lubricants in everything I own - cars, trucks, boats, farm tractors, etc. - since 1995. I have never had an issue or failure with any of their products.

I use Racing 21 motor oil, Synchromax in the tranny and 75W-90 rear gear oil in my '04 ZO6 (4 years). I use Racing 51 motor oil in my '96 Scarab 22 and 75W-90 gear oil in the Bravo 1 outdrive (7 years). I use the TCW III 2 cycle oil in my Evinrude E-Tech. I use 20W-50 motor oil in my two diesel farm tractors and 15W-40 motor oil in the three gas tractors (15 years). I use 20W-50 motor oil, Synchromax in the transfer case, synthetic ATF in the tranny, synthetic power steering fluid and 75W-130 diff gear oil in my '04 Ford Excursion 6.0L PSD (5 years).

I was told on the FTE site that if I used RP synthetic ATF in my 6.0L diesel torque shift tranny that it would kill it. 30,000 miles later with RP ATF, the tranny actually shifts better, shows no signs of slippage and the ATF looks a good as it did 30,000 miles ago. I did not buy the Ford propaganda that I MUST use their SP tranny fluid.

I have had and continue to have nothing but outstanding results with Royal Purple products and will use Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil in my TDI when the 36,000 mile free maintenance expires.

ED
Old December 22nd, 2010, 15:16   #11
ajbowman

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dsl View Post
I have had and continue to have nothing but outstanding results with Royal Purple products and will use Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil in my TDI when the 36,000 mile free maintenance expires.

ED
I'm not sure how much the Royal Purple 5W-30 costs... even if it was $2 cheaper per quote compared the cost of the 507.00 oil at the dealer you are only saving ~$50 by the time you get to 100k miles.

You are saying that Royal Purple is so awesome you are willing to save $50 and risk your $15,000 engine on it?
ajbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 15:46   #12
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbowman View Post
I'm not sure how much the Royal Purple 5W-30 costs... even if it was $2 cheaper per quote compared the cost of the 507.00 oil at the dealer you are only saving ~$50 by the time you get to 100k miles.

You are saying that Royal Purple is so awesome you are willing to save $50 and risk your $15,000 engine on it?
No real risk.

If he was actually willing to take a risk, he wouldn't wait until the warranty was out....

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 19:27   #13
Got Smoke?
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta

What kind of oil is currently in the powerstroke with injector issues? DO NOT USE ROTELLA in a 6.0L....causes injector failures. My friend has a ford high performance company in KY. He know's PowerStrokes in and out!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:05   #14
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Smoke? View Post
What kind of oil is currently in the powerstroke with injector issues? DO NOT USE ROTELLA in a 6.0L....causes injector failures. My friend has a ford high performance company in KY. He know's PowerStrokes in and out!
He was running Rotella 15W-40 and just switched to Rotella 5W-40. Reports problem is slightly less bad with the 5W-40. What oil does your friend recommend?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 17:18   #15
Green Dsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
He was running Rotella 15W-40 and just switched to Rotella 5W-40. Reports problem is slightly less bad with the 5W-40. What oil does your friend recommend?
Tell your 6.0 friend to use a 5W-40 or 15W-40 SYNTHETIC oil. The motor will start easier and run quiter.

Injector stiction is caused buy "coking", burnt oil residue stcking to the oil side of the injector moving parts. Dino oil is know for this. The injector tolerances are very tight. The burnt oil residue decreases those tolearances resulting in stiction. Synthetic oil will not burn and cause stiction. The same thing happens in the 6.0 turbo compressor variable vanes and the shaft bearings. Synthetic oil eliminates a lot of problems in the 6.0.

Ed