www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 18th, 2010, 07:10   #16
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
The coolant plugs don't come on until after the engine starts, and only if ambient is below about -5C *and* coolant temp is low as well (haven't quite determined what value...every drive to work is a new experiment!). Only one coolant plug comes on (first coolant plug relay which is connected to only one plug) if the glowplugs are also running (probably to save load on the alternator) and then as soon as the glow plug after-run is complete the other two coolant plugs come on via the second coolant plug relay. They stay on till the coolant hits 50C.
Perhaps this is why when I started my car at 23 degrees F it seemed to warm up about 8 minutes faster (as determined by the pointer in the temp guage at 190 degrees) than when I started it at 33 degrees F on my drive home from work the past two days.

--Nate
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:15   #17
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Some nice creative dash mods there Vince. Good use of o-ring material around the SG. Do the toggles control the GPs, or just the indicator leds??

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:02   #18
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
The coolant plugs don't come on until after the engine starts, and only if ambient is below about -5C *and* coolant temp is low as well (haven't quite determined what value...every drive to work is a new experiment!). Only one coolant plug comes on (first coolant plug relay which is connected to only one plug) if the glowplugs are also running (probably to save load on the alternator) and then as soon as the glow plug after-run is complete the other two coolant plugs come on via the second coolant plug relay. They stay on till the coolant hits 50C.
....and the coolant glowplugs cut off below a certain RPM. For some reason, 2200 RPM comes to mind, but may be wrong. In any case, they do not function at idle.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:09   #19
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
....and the coolant glowplugs cut off below a certain RPM. For some reason, 2200 RPM comes to mind, but may be wrong. In any case, they do not function at idle.
They do function at idle. My PD's coolant glow plugs were. You can hear the engine change tone when I unplugged them due to the load change. All three were working when I did the test.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 13:09   #20
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
Cylinder glow plugs turn off above 2500 rpm. There's no low rpm cut off for either cylinder or coolant plugs.

Disconnecting the coolant glow plugs is often a way of stopping the cold idle squeal from a failing harmonic damper. The added alternator load (from coolant heater consumption) makes more resistance on it's drive belt. Sometimes lessening the alternator load is enough to stop the damper from slipping and squealing.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; December 18th, 2010 at 13:14.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 13:13   #21
TDI-TT
Veteran Member

can someone please provide a link to where i can buy these coolant glowplugs for my bew?
TDI-TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 13:25   #22
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettawreck View Post
Some nice creative dash mods there Vince. Good use of o-ring material around the SG. Do the toggles control the GPs, or just the indicator leds??
Yeah, the o-ring's recycled from an oil change... perfect fit.

The switches are actually unrelated to the plugs... one controls whether the little LED gauge on the right is reading oil pressure or oil temperature, and the other turns on the brake lights... lots of tailgaters where I live.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 13:26   #23
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-TT View Post
can someone please provide a link to where i can buy these coolant glowplugs for my bew?
Well, I thought IDparts.com had them, but the ones they list are for the ALH only, according to their listing. I thought they would have been the same for the BEW.

--Nate
Old December 18th, 2010, 13:34   #24
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
Perhaps this is why when I started my car at 23 degrees F it seemed to warm up about 8 minutes faster (as determined by the pointer in the temp guage at 190 degrees) than when I started it at 33 degrees F on my drive home from work the past two days.

--Nate
This guy ran a few tests and figured he got about 30% faster warmup to 50C:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...nt+warmup+time

Now that I have some lights I'll probably mess around with a manual override so that I can run 'em up to 60C etc... man... really need to get a life.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Old December 18th, 2010, 18:22   #25
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
Well, I thought IDparts.com had them, but the ones they list are for the ALH only, according to their listing. I thought they would have been the same for the BEW.

--Nate
I believe they are.
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 21:13   #26
TDI-TT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri16V View Post
I believe they are.
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=455

they are not. it clearly shows that they are for the ALH only..doesnt say anywhere about BEW.
TDI-TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 21:29   #27
sqhschief
Veteran Member

I don't know why the automatics don't have coolant GP's. Anyone?

Mufflerectomy, Ventectomy, 5 Brake Light Mod. Curt hitch. HID BiXenon RETROFIT 4300K Morimoto Denso 35W Ballast, "Coming Home Lights" Mod, all LED interior lighting, brake/signals, and license plate lights.
sqhschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 21:39   #28
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqhschief View Post
IIRC they have a heat exchanger in the automatic transmission that scavenges waste transmission fluid heat to accomplish the same thing.

Old December 18th, 2010, 21:42   #29
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqhschief View Post
Because the automatic transmission produces more waste heat than three glow plugs running at full power.
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 21:49   #30
sqhschief
Veteran Member

Quote:
IIRC they have a heat exchanger in the automatic transmission that scavenges waste transmission fluid heat to accomplish the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
Because the automatic transmission produces more waste heat than three glow plugs running at full power.
Oh okay, makes sense.

Mufflerectomy, Ventectomy, 5 Brake Light Mod. Curt hitch. HID BiXenon RETROFIT 4300K Morimoto Denso 35W Ballast, "Coming Home Lights" Mod, all LED interior lighting, brake/signals, and license plate lights.
sqhschief is offline   Reply With Quote