www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 16th, 2010, 18:54   #1
mtdoragary

TDI(s): A3
Default Official towing capacity for 2011 Jetta TDI DSG?

My brother replaced his diesel Chevy truck with a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG. He's worried that towing a Class I trailer will void his warranty. He has talked to the dealership until he's blue in the face, but can't get any definitive word on towing capacity. It's in black and white for the manual transmission but nowhere for the DSG. Seems starnge to me, since my owners manual for my Audi A3 TDI states that I must adhere to Class I or Class II limits. His manual says under no circumstances can he install a Class II hitch.?!?!?
All he wants to do is tow a small trailer with drums in it, but he doesn't want to risk voiding his warranty... HELP!
3:16
2011 A3 TDI Premium Plus
convenience package
cold weather package
homemade cornering lights
mtdoragary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 18:58   #2
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~6.4L/100km

Oh no... Not this again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2
vw_leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 19:06   #3
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

I will see if I can do a quick summary. Only Class 1 is made for the JSW in North America basically due to the fact of the attachment method to the vehicle. Very Close to Class 2 and you'll need to look at Euro hitches like Westfalia, Bosal, Brink, Oris, etc.... All which will be 50mm balls (~2").

A class one will not void your warranty here especially as there is a section in the manual on towing. Damn even my V6 4Mo didn't have that.

The vehicle can easily pull over 3000 lbs but if you venture this route I would highly suggest a brake controller too. A small utility trailer with drums will not be an issue!! JSW hitches in North America tend to hang very low and many have break over angle issues.

The warranty issue is interesting however as VW will not install hitches for you. In Europe they do, and they install Westfalia. This is what I have on my car....

2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Old December 16th, 2010, 19:08   #4
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Drive more...worry less...

Old December 16th, 2010, 19:22   #5
windaddiction

How about where to buy a hitch for a 2011 wagon, and how hard is it to install. I just sold my truck to get one of these and still need a trailer for house maintenance.
windaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 19:27   #6
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

I have fully documented my westfalia install...click the link in my signature. If you opt for a NA model, I would get a CURT from a local place or e-trailer.com

Old December 18th, 2010, 17:41   #7
gumaku1
Veteran Member

If you read the owners manual for the 2010 JSW, it will show you the towing capacity. The 6MT and the DSG has the same tow ratings. Both will have 200lb vertical tounge loads and 1000lbs towing capacity. The bummer is that VW does not sell an OEM hitch in the USA.
gumaku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 20:56   #8
glennco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

It should be noted that if you get in an accident towing more than the stated towing capacity, insurance doesn't have to cover any damage.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:07   #9
ihatespeed

I have a curt hitch and a rance 5x8 aluminum trailer, the jsw pulls and more importantly stops with 2 full size cruisers on the trailer quite well, I figure the highest I have ventured is ~1700 pounds.
mileage is beat down to low thirties.
the jsw actually feels much more stable than pulling 10000 pound boats with a quad cab diesel f350, and thats well within its (the 350's) rating.

looking at the spec for euro vw's the tow rating is quite a bit better, some thing like 1500lbs without brakes and 3000 with, so i suspect we are getting the lawyered up version. as long as you don't violate the class 1 hitch rating of 200lbs tongue and 2000lbs trailer you should be good.

I do have firestone coilrite air bags in the back, so I'm sure that helps.
just take it easy, drive slow and leave plenty of reaction time.

My dealer told me a hitch would not violate waranty as long as the recomendations in the maniual were followed, its been in a few times with it and they have not said anything.
Old January 7th, 2011, 14:12   #10
BenVC

I emailed the parts guy at my dealership to get a quote for installing a 1 1/4" hitch. Went like this:

Me: "How much would it cost to install a 1 1/4" trailer hitch for a bike rack? (i.e. not a tow ball)."

VW parts guy: "VW DOES NOT RECOMMEND TOWING WITH THE SPORTWAGEN SO THEY DO NOT OFFER A TRAILER HITCH."

This does not inspire confidence. When I get home I'm going to respond with citations of the pages in the manual where it goes into detail about proper trailer setup, driving with a trailer, the trailer wiring link, etc.
BenVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 15:25   #11
BenVC

Wait, what? The parts guy at the dealer forwarded me this response he got from VWoA:

Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:30 PM
To: CH - Bob <name redacted>
Subject: RE: 402134 - TRAILER HITCH

Good Day Bob,
Volkswagen Group of America does not recommend towing with the Jetta
Sportwagen, and therefore we do not offer a tow hitch for this model.

Thank you,
Volkswagen Accessories

--

I wouldn't have this guy install a hitch now anyway, but it's still troubling that this guy hasn't even read the manual. Maybe the dealer parts guy and whoever answered the email at VWoA are just a couple of duds.

Last edited by BenVC; January 7th, 2011 at 15:41.
BenVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 15:47   #12
ihatespeed

looking at the UK golf estate with a 2.0 tdi (140ps, same spec as us) best I can tell the same as our sportwagen the website lists towing limits at 75kgs tongue and ~1500kgs gross trailer. and a looks like westfalia tow hitch and electronics module are an option at time of purchase, albiet about $1200.

Even with a less technologically advanced mount solution like a $150 curt/ drawtite, I'm sure you can tow 1500 pounds with little worry, dealership / us vag just does not want to get involved. Besides, since the owners manual does list a trailering capacity, I'd say you're covered. My civic on the other hand said trailer not recommended right in the literature.
Old January 7th, 2011, 16:09   #13
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/go...ngines/towing/

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:21   #14
sceptick

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by windaddiction View Post
How about where to buy a hitch for a 2011 wagon, and how hard is it to install. I just sold my truck to get one of these and still need a trailer for house maintenance.
I just ordered a hitch and roof rack for a 2011 Golf TDI that I bought this week. http://www.etrailer.com/

I've got a Thule roof rack and a Curt hitch (no wiring harness) on the way.

No drilling for the hitch, it bolts on with existing bolts and/or holes. Apparently no bumper removal either. Wiring harness available but I don't want if for my infrequent small trailer use.
sceptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 09:57   #15
ihatespeed

Default suit yourself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptick View Post
.......Wiring harness available but I don't want if for my infrequent small trailer use.

The electronics are really quite simple to hook up, and they are cheap. as far as I know even trailers that don't require licensing Ie fixed equipment like compressors require a minimum lighting solution.. Brake turn and tail. for the extra hour it might take you, I'd have the option. Besides, you might want to rent a trailer somewhere wile out on travels, they won't let you off the lot with out lights.

Heaven helps you if some jackass slams into your unlit trailer and their insurance finds out you did not even have a light hookup..

You can get a converter at nearly any auto parts store with a tow section.

Aw crap, sprained my ankle climbing off my soapbox..