www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 8th, 2010, 11:21   #1
Jet mech

TDI(s): 2010 JSW
Default MPG drop, power loss...but no CEL...

For the last few weeks my MPG went from 40mpg on the hwy down to 33 and it seems like i have a boat anchor attached to the back of my car. I drive from Louisville to Birmingham and Louisville to Michigan and for the last 10k ive always got arround 40mpg. I dont have any check engine light and the car idles fine. I brought it to the "Stealer" for the 10k free oil change and told them about the issue and they said its because of the cold temps and if i had a problem the CEL would be on. I always buy my fuel from the truckstops on the fwy so i dont think i got any crappy fuel. If i had i would feel that it would have worked its way out since i only fill up when the fuel light comes on. Has anyone else had this type of issue? I could see a small drop in MPG because of it being colder now but not such a big drop and what feels like a power loss.
2001 S54 M Coupe
Jet mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:25   #2
Tweak3D
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet mech View Post
For the last few weeks my MPG went from 40mpg on the hwy down to 33 and it seems like i have a boat anchor attached to the back of my car. I drive from Louisville to Birmingham and Louisville to Michigan and for the last 10k ive always got arround 40mpg. I dont have any check engine light and the car idles fine. I brought it to the "Stealer" for the 10k free oil change and told them about the issue and they said its because of the cold temps and if i had a problem the CEL would be on. I always buy my fuel from the truckstops on the fwy so i dont think i got any crappy fuel. If i had i would feel that it would have worked its way out since i only fill up when the fuel light comes on. Has anyone else had this type of issue? I could see a small drop in MPG because of it being colder now but not such a big drop and what feels like a power loss.
I'd also take into consideration that most places now have winterized fuel, which can aslo add to the problem. Just a thought.
Tweak3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:40   #3
snagster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta TDI

Winter diesel!! I am experiencing lower power too. I can also tell from my F250 7.3L diesel. Winter fuel sucks!
snagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:59   #4
RPS99SHO
Veteran Member

Me 4. This sucks. But comes with the territory I guess.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 8th, 2010, 13:26   #5
Mark_Seis_JSW

TDI(s): MKVI JSW

I've noticed about a 2-3 mpg decrease in the past month guess it is what it is
Mark_Seis_JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 15:34   #6
philisophe

Ive always added the Standadyne...

When I failed to install the four ounces..I noticed the engine runs a little rough..

Also the temperatures here are falling into the 10's..

As they have changed over to the winter fuels...its something you may want to review..

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74
philisophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 19:10   #7
glennco
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW DSG

We've noticed a decrease as well. From around 43mpg, down to 37.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 21:40   #8
Timujin

I saw a decrease in MPG on a recent trip from SoCal to Chicago. Temps varied from 17F to 67F AVG temp in the 40s. I also noticed a green tint to the D2 in the states along I40 and I44 starting in New Mexico all the way to Illinois.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:02   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Also the warm up times are longer. I notice my normal mileage when drove home from thanks giving temps were in the 30s, but after 180 miles, mpgs were in the upper 40s.

Drive em more!!!!

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:54   #10
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Also the warm up times are longer. I notice my normal mileage when drove home from thanks giving temps were in the 30s, but after 180 miles, mpgs were in the upper 40s.

Drive em more!!!!
Yes, this is absolutely correct. If you do short runs on a cold engine in the winter your MPGs will be very low. Winter fuel will cut your MPGs by around 10% plus the added time it takes to achieve full operating temps will take another bite. I used to see 40 MPG average and now am seeing 35-36.

The only other comment I can make is while my mileage has dropped I don't see a huge reduction in power...slight when cold but once warmed up I can't say my car is slower now than on summer fuel. The OP's comments on performance have me concerned that he might still have a problem - maybe a boost leak - that is being overlooked. Did the dealer scan with VAG-COM? It can store codes even without throwing a CEL.

Last edited by nhdoc; December 9th, 2010 at 11:57.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:28   #11
740GLE
Veteran Member

Good point, I also haven't noticed a power drop soon as the temp needle moves, the power still seems there as always.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:39   #12
Jet mech

Thanks for everyones responses.

I figured i would get a MPG drop with the colder weather and different winter fuel mix but it seems large and i drive very long distances so the warm up times should not matter to much. The "Stealer" did not check anything because he said if there was any problems i would have a CEL. Im going on another long trip today (Louisville to Birmingham) and will see what my MPG and power is like and if its still crappy then i will make an appointment with another VW dealer and hopefully they will look better to make sure there is nothing wrong.
2001 S54 M Coupe
Jet mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:44   #13
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet mech View Post
Thanks for everyones responses.

I figured i would get a MPG drop with the colder weather and different winter fuel mix but it seems large and i drive very long distances so the warm up times should not matter to much. The "Stealer" did not check anything because he said if there was any problems i would have a CEL. Im going on another long trip today (Louisville to Birmingham) and will see what my MPG and power is like and if its still crappy then i will make an appointment with another VW dealer and hopefully they will look better to make sure there is nothing wrong.
Sounds like a plan...I would say if your power is noticeably lower then you have something wrong...has it been over more than one tankful? You might just have gotten a bad tank of fuel. If it is recurring then you should have it checked out because significant power loss is not typical nor normal in colder weather.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 17:09   #14
crashtested
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ---->
Default Winter fuel?

I've seen a drop in MPG this tank (1/2 way through) but no noticeable power loss.

Ballermobile - 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
crashtested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 22:09   #15
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
I also noticed a green tint to the D2 in the states along I40 and I44 starting in New Mexico all the way to Illinois.
Yup, IL D2 is greenish (and much of the Midwest). Was nervous filling up at a Detroit area station known for inexpensive D2, but fuel is clear as moonshine so steering clear.

Last edited by MyAvocation; December 11th, 2010 at 22:14.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote