www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old December 7th, 2010, 10:10   #1
codylent

Default Oil cooler leaked into antifreeze, should I have the transmission flushed also?

I recently found out that my oil cooler is leaking into my coolant. My transmission started shifting funny because it was low on fluid. That is how I found the problem. I flushed out my coolant, but should I also go to a VW garage and have the transmission flushed? I just changed the fluid & filter, but I am sure there is still a bunch in there? Is it worth the cost to have it flushed? I got to thinkin about it and figured that the pressure is probably much higher in the transmission, so I figured that no coolant may have gotten into the transmission, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
codylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:36   #2
Herm TDI

You need to get over to Columbus, Oh.
Growler
Aaron Bruckelmeyer

Growlers TDI service
4428 Drifton Dr
Columbus, OH 43227
You can e-mail him:
growlertdi@gmail.com
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:47   #3
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

You've got to assume some coolant got in the tranny. When engine shuts down, tranny pressure goes to zero, but coolant system stays pressurized til it cools down. Drain a bit of fluid out of the tranny and see how it looks. Any milkiness..coolant is in there.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 13:10   #4
daedalus
Veteran Member

I'm sure no whiz-kid but I'm really confused by this one. The oil cooler has coolant running through lines to remove the heat from the oil. Got it. The transmission has coolant lines running through it to cool the trans fluid. I think I got that.

But... I assume the transmission fluid and the coolant are isolated systems. How would the coolant, contaminated or otherwise, mix with the transmission fluid? How would looking at or draining the transmission fluid help? Coolant mixed with transmission fluid sounds like a v-e-r-y bad thing but wouldn't it be the result of a mechanical rupture somewhere in the transmission?

Apologies to those in the know if this is a really stupid question!
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 13:54   #5
Herm TDI

Quote:
....How would the coolant, contaminated or otherwise, mix with the transmission fluid?
The tranny heat exchanger (aka fluid cooler) performs the same way as the engine oil cooler (though both heat exchanges) are indepentant of each-other.
If the transmission heat exchanger has an internal leak you can get coolant into the transmission fluid..
Old December 7th, 2010, 14:07   #6
daedalus
Veteran Member

Thanks, Herm. The premise then would seem to be the OP has two unconnected cooler issues?

"I was there, I can prove it! When I was a kid, you could buy meat anywhere! Eggs they had, real butter! Not this... crap!" Sometimes I feel as old as Sol!
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 14:10   #7
codylent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
You've got to assume some coolant got in the tranny. When engine shuts down, tranny pressure goes to zero, but coolant system stays pressurized til it cools down. Drain a bit of fluid out of the tranny and see how it looks. Any milkiness..coolant is in there.
You make a very good point! It seemed to be ok when I drained it & changed the filter. I think that maybe I should do it once more though just to be safe. I would imagine that some would still be in there though after draining it twice! I should probably just have it flushed. Knowing how expensive the dealer can be & how expensive the fluid is, it'll probably be 500 bucks!!
Old December 7th, 2010, 15:03   #8
night mission

Working a simular problem but with the oil intercooler (don't have the auto trans). Parts replaced but still working on getting the oil out of the rad, removing it from the expansion tank. FWIW, no coolant/cloudy oil noted in the oil.
night mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 16:12   #9
GenMan
Veteran Member

night mission.....Where I work the guys use Cascade liquid dishwasher soap to clean the cooling system when it has been contaminated with oil. I've never used it myself but its supposed to work great.
GenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 16:55   #10
White Crow
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 gls tdi
Fuel Economy: 52 all around driving (some city mostly open road

antifreeze will kill your transmission if you even think it maybe in the trans you need to get it flushed it will take the facings right off the clutch plates.
White Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 18:14   #11
codylent

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the responses. I guess I should just have it flushed. The dealer told me between $350 and $400 and I need to drop it off the night before so the fluid is cold. In the long run it might end up saving me much more! It just sucks..haha
Old December 10th, 2010, 14:58   #12
codylent

Default 1 last dumb question guys

It was $320 bucks for the tranny flush but I think it could end up saving me much more in the long run. I have one last stupid question though. As I said, I have tranny fluid in my coolant. I was trying to install one of them prestone flush & fill kits to flush it out, but there is lines going everywhere! I installed one on my Dodge truck and it was very simple, just follow it outta the firewall to the heater neck. With the TDI I'm not sure which hose to install the T onto because of all the hoses everywhere. I feel like an idiot askin this question but I just wanna be sure before I got hoses cut..haha