www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old December 1st, 2010, 21:12   #1
DAV0320

Default Amsoil Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver

Curious as to who is using it. I see there are lots of Power Service and Opti-lube users, but see few Amsoil users. Is it because Amsoil cannot be found on store shelves?
Based on the results from the Spicer report, the Amsoil has a lower wear scar than the PS (488 compared to 575 respectively), yet the PS has a huge following.
Not looking to start a debate like all Amsoil threads seem to create, I'm just curious.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:03   #2
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S

The product works very well; I believe it is blended to their specifications by Stanadyne....

Their stand alone, "diesel fuel additive concentrate", gives you more bang for the buck in mild weather; a 16 ounce bottle treats twice as much fuel (80 gallons vs 40 gallons) and it's priced lower. The Amsoil Cetane boost is also a stand alone product for cold weather, or for modified diesel engines that need higher cetane fuel....If you cram all three functions into one bottle of additive, the levels of each chemical compound will be that much lower.

TS
TooSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:46   #3
oEo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

I run the Cetane boost as well.

2 0 0 4 I n d i g o B l u e G o l f R C 1 T D I C L U B A D D I C T I O N @ 1 3 0 k R u n n i n g W i t h T D T U O A
oEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:19   #4
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlick View Post
The product works very well; I believe it is blended to their specifications by Stanadyne....

Their stand alone, "diesel fuel additive concentrate", gives you more bang for the buck in mild weather; a 16 ounce bottle treats twice as much fuel (80 gallons vs 40 gallons) and it's priced lower. The Amsoil Cetane boost is also a stand alone product for cold weather, or for modified diesel engines that need higher cetane fuel....If you cram all three functions into one bottle of additive, the levels of each chemical compound will be that much lower.

TS
Hmm.... so it's better to use the 3 individual products.

Interesting that Stanadyne makes it.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:14   #5
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 MPG (~ 55% city)

I recently made a mix with the following ingredients: Power Service (gray bottle), Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. Approximately 1/3 of each in a 16 oz. bottle.

We'll how it goes when I put it at the next fill up.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 15:54   #6
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

I saw that report, and the very best, by a big margin for lubricity was B2. If I was to use the Amsoil, I would use their product that does Cetane boost. My best guess about lubricity is that most pumps these days state that they contain up to 5% Bio-diesel, so I would just use additives that increase Cetane and as required, anti-gel and anti-algae.

I do use the PS with Cetane boost...................
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 16:50   #7
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

It's touted on the label as being effective on biodiesel. The support level in the pyramid....sorry, the sale representative, also verbally said the same. So I bit, and bought one bottle specifically to check it's biodiesel cold flow improving properties.
I found that it is useless on biodiesel. I checked the Amsoil website and I discovered that their definition of biodiesel only goes to 20%.
It is a diesel additive that is ineffective on biodiesel, just like all the other "biodiesel cold flow improvers". Because it doesn't work on biodiesel, and petrodiesel I get is adequately blended for cold flow properties, I have no use for it.
Nor for other fuel treatments either.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 16:56   #8
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
It's touted on the label as being effective on biodiesel. The support level in the pyramid....sorry, the sale representative, also verbally said the same. So I bit, and bought one bottle specifically to check it's biodiesel cold flow improving properties.
I found that it is useless on biodiesel. I checked the Amsoil website and I discovered that their definition of biodiesel only goes to 20%.
It is a diesel additive that is ineffective on biodiesel, just like all the other "biodiesel cold flow improvers". Because it doesn't work on biodiesel, and petrodiesel I get is adequately blended for cold flow properties, I have no use for it.
Nor for other fuel treatments either.
Yup this is normal amongst the major fuel additives.

http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php
Old October 18th, 2011, 22:08   #9
jkornbread

Fuel Economy: 48-52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
I recently made a mix with the following ingredients: Power Service (gray bottle), Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. Approximately 1/3 of each in a 16 oz. bottle.

We'll how it goes when I put it at the next fill up.
My understanding is that mixing the Diesel Concentrate and the Centane booster without diesel fuel is counter productive. My understanding per Amsoil is that these products are a catalyst of sorts and work with the fuel, and was told to not mix them until they are in the fuel. Basically add them to the tank individually. This is how I add them in my Jetta..........
jkornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 18:47   #10
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 MPG (~ 55% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornbread View Post
My understanding is that mixing the Diesel Concentrate and the Centane booster without diesel fuel is counter productive. My understanding per Amsoil is that these products are a catalyst of sorts and work with the fuel, and was told to not mix them until they are in the fuel. Basically add them to the tank individually. This is how I add them in my Jetta..........
Thanks for the clarification. Will keep this in mind.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 17:36   #11
blitzed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkornbread View Post
This is true, add one to the tank, then the other, this is also what my amsoil rep has said.
blitzed is offline   Reply With Quote