www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 20th, 2010, 17:07   #16
85_305
Banned

So I've been really thinking about this.. does anybody have more info on these? Do they work good? Do they last long? Do you have to jack up the car to put them on?
85_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 18:47   #17
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

I've run mine for 3 winters. Obviously not daily, but through a dozen storms or so. The cables I use can be installed in 5 minutes, both sides. They can be install on the side of the road, no tools or jacking required.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 19:26   #18
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

By these are you talking about the tire cables or the spikes spiders? I don't know how long they last but you can buy individual parts that you wear out. They install in about a minute depending on how fast you are and only your feet touch the snow. Tire cables you can install in about the 5 minute mark but you have to reach around to the inner side of the tire to hook up that part so you could get dirty there and your wheel well could be packed with snow and ice already. And when you unhook them you do have to drive off either set (cables or spike spider). No tools or jacks for either set.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:52   #19
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

As I stated I use cables.

Getting snow on me, or dying. Hmmm. I can handle a little bit of snow on my jacket.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:39   #20
85_305
Banned

I'm really intereste in these 'spiders'...
Old November 21st, 2010, 17:20   #21
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I'm really intereste in these 'spiders'...
www.spikes-spider.com

you do need tools to install the hub though. They are supplied, but.... a regular socket & torque wrench is easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB07FLxi_s8
- 10 Specialized Secteur Elite
- some snowboards

Last edited by 20IndigoBlue02; November 21st, 2010 at 20:53.
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 00:07   #22
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
www.spikes-spider.com

you do need tools to install the hub though. They are supplied, but.... a regular socket & torque wrench is easier

I second that. I carry a 3/8 drive ratchet and a 13mm if I ever get a flat. I just keep the hubs on the car at or near winter time or if I will be going where there is possibly mud (Wy doesn't rain much). Just use a torque wrench to tighten down. 18 ft-lbs I think it is with the supplied tool. You would think for the price they would give to a better "torque" wrench then that thing that comes with it. It is a thick wire shaft thing with a loop in it. That goes in to a cheap socket and when the ends of the loops touch it is tight then. I think it is light 1/4 inch round shaft (wire). To set up the hubs you take the caps off your lug bolts. then you put a 3 prong piece on that with a cap and then a bolt piece. That has a hole threaded into it to bolt the hub down. You have to chose the correct size length bolt. I went one size longer then their "ideal" as someone else advised since it makes putting on the chains/cables/what ever they are called on easier. Then the hub goes on next with bolts that thread into the lengthener bolts. Same torque as the other ones. Then there is a plastic cover that goes on this hub to make things look nicer when not being used. You take that hub off, and on my model of spike-spider you put the great part of the chain down and put the rest of the chain over the tire and hook onto the hub and then you drive off. To unhook you unhook the hub and pull the chain off the tire, drive off them and put them away. The models with just the arms don't offer as much traction but I would think you can take off without driving off them. Both the arm ones and the chain ones are adjustable for a few different sizes of tires and the mounting hardware is universal. It makes changing tires a little longer with the installed hub but putting on the chains are a breeze. Also since the hardware clamps on to the lug bolts the sometime aren't straight enough to install the hub. You may need to wiggle them around some. I drill a few holes out a little so it make it easier. One other thing is that the hub only prevents the cables from falling off. The arms/chains grip the tire to prevent slipping on the tire. The hub will allow the chains/arms to twist if it doesn't grip the tire. Good investment for the main car. The rest have the "get down on the ground to hook up" cables from walmart but I have only tested those out. I had to use the spike spider.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:09   #23
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

the votex cross bars for my old MK4 Golf has a similar style of "torque wrench".

Then again... not everyone has a torque wrench.

my 3/8" and 1/2" Craftsmen "Click" style torque when I got for $50 each over ten years ago sees plenty of usage...
- some snowboards
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:35   #24
85_305
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
www.spikes-spider.com

Ya i've been cruising their website, but that video was pretty awesome. Thanks man! I'm debating if I want just the spiders with studs, or the spiders with the chains too (hard decision). Can you actually drive faster than 30mph like the website says you cant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
I second that. I carry a 3/8 drive ratchet and a 13mm if I ever get a flat. I just keep the hubs on the car at or near winter time or if I will be going where there is possibly mud (Wy doesn't rain much). Just use a torque wrench to tighten down. 18 ft-lbs I think it is with the supplied tool. You would think for the price they would give to a better "torque" wrench then that thing that comes with it. It is a thick wire shaft thing with a loop in it. That goes in to a cheap socket and when the ends of the loops touch it is tight then. I think it is light 1/4 inch round shaft (wire). To set up the hubs you take the caps off your lug bolts. then you put a 3 prong piece on that with a cap and then a bolt piece. That has a hole threaded into it to bolt the hub down. You have to chose the correct size length bolt. I went one size longer then their "ideal" as someone else advised since it makes putting on the chains/cables/what ever they are called on easier. Then the hub goes on next with bolts that thread into the lengthener bolts. Same torque as the other ones. Then there is a plastic cover that goes on this hub to make things look nicer when not being used. You take that hub off, and on my model of spike-spider you put the great part of the chain down and put the rest of the chain over the tire and hook onto the hub and then you drive off. To unhook you unhook the hub and pull the chain off the tire, drive off them and put them away. The models with just the arms don't offer as much traction but I would think you can take off without driving off them. Both the arm ones and the chain ones are adjustable for a few different sizes of tires and the mounting hardware is universal. It makes changing tires a little longer with the installed hub but putting on the chains are a breeze. Also since the hardware clamps on to the lug bolts the sometime aren't straight enough to install the hub. You may need to wiggle them around some. I drill a few holes out a little so it make it easier. One other thing is that the hub only prevents the cables from falling off. The arms/chains grip the tire to prevent slipping on the tire. The hub will allow the chains/arms to twist if it doesn't grip the tire. Good investment for the main car. The rest have the "get down on the ground to hook up" cables from walmart but I have only tested those out. I had to use the spike spider.
Thanks for the info man. I appreciate that.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:52   #25
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

shouldn't drive faster than the recommended speed. I've done that with regular Thule chains (CB-12) and it slipped off the wheel, cut the wheel speed sensor wire & damaged a brake line, all this trying to get up my steep driveway.

Spike Spider Sport (chain/stud) has no trouble with my steep driveway
- some snowboards
Old November 22nd, 2010, 18:20   #26
85_305
Banned

Sweeet. This is good news hehe
Old November 22nd, 2010, 18:24   #27
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Another option to consider is the Thule K-Summit. Also quite pricey. Does not require mounting of a hub. No real experience....
- some snowboards
Old November 22nd, 2010, 18:43   #28
85_305
Banned

Whats the thule k-summit? Chains or a snow-shoe type deal?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 19:24   #29
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

http://www.thule.com/en-GB/GB/Produc...0K-Summit.aspx
- some snowboards
Old November 22nd, 2010, 19:36   #30
85_305
Banned

Hoooleeeeshiiiiii* thats nasty!