www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 11th, 2010, 17:07   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Replacment of Brake Booster Vacuum Hose

Is it OK to use a worm screw-style hose clamp to connect the brake booster vacuum hose to the vacuum pump? There is a crimped metal band clamp on there now and I plan to cut it off when I replace the vacuum hose because of a cracked hose. Or should I get the proper clamp from the dealer and use my CV boot clamp pliers to clamp it down, or just try to reuse the old clamp? The new hose did not come with a clamp.

Tx.

--Nate
Old November 11th, 2010, 17:59   #2
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50

A clamp is a clamp. The rubber hose broke off on mine, right at the end of the vacuum pump. I slipped the remaining hose to the vacuum pump and secured it with a hose clamp. It's been fine for 1000's of miles. I didn't need to buy a new hose and I had a spare clamp in the garage.

Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 20:20   #3
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
The new hose did not come with a clamp.
Is that a factory part? The factory hose comes as an assembly & the clamps are already installed.
06 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite w/Gray Pack 2 DSG W/NAV & Ipod dock
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 20:47   #4
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
or just try to reuse the old clamp?
Not certain on the BEW's but the ALH clamps have some sort of clasp that lends itself to being reused. They are different from the typical ones used on axle boots or fuel lines.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:02   #5
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
Is that a factory part? The factory hose comes as an assembly & the clamps are already installed.
It is a genuine factory part and I bought it from one of the vendors on this site, one I highly respect and recommend. I do not think the part is supposed to come with a clamp. Mine did not and it is not pictured. The hose is marked with the VW logo and also came in a sealed bag. Consists of the hard bent plastic vacuum line heat shrunk onto the vacuum check valve and the check valve is clamped to a stubby rubber vacuum line using the same type of clamp that is used to attached the other end of the stubby rubber hose to the vacuum pump:

As you can see, since the clamp on the old line at the vacuum pump is the same as the calmp on the line above, the clamp most likely will be destroyed upon removal.

Below is what looks like the tool used to crimp the clamp down. I have a set of these pliers I used on CV boot clamps (wth ears) in the past:

"Ear-Type CV Boot Clamp Pliers Designed to crimp the ear-type CV boot clamps used on front-wheel drive vehicles May also be used to crimp the type of clamps used on fuel and cooling system hoses Ensures even - precise crimping - and eliminates possibility of damage to the clamp - or hose"

But it looks like a common worm clamp will work and I'll try one and see. I can only imagine the correct clamp is special order from the dealer and will probably by in excess of $7.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; November 12th, 2010 at 06:23.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:16   #6
streeker02
Veteran Member

I recently replaced this part, and mine was exactly as pictured, minus the clamp. I just used a regular worm gear clamp, seems to be working fine.
streeker02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:35   #7
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeker02 View Post
I recently replaced this part, and mine was exactly as pictured, minus the clamp. I just used a regular worm gear clamp, seems to be working fine.
x2....
06 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite w/Gray Pack 2 DSG W/NAV & Ipod dock
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:14   #8
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50

Quote:
But it looks like a common worm clamp will work and I'll try one and see. I can only imagine the correct clamp is special order from the dealer and will probably by in excess of $7.

--Nate
It's not rocket science. You just need something that will hold the hose to the vacuum pump. Hell, use zip ties. That will work too!

Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 14:29   #9
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I already bought the common hose clamps at Advance Auto, but being as anal as I am, I just had to ask about using OEM!

Thanks everyone.

--Nate
Old November 12th, 2010, 14:56   #10
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I think I mentioned this already, but after my tandum pump recall, the dealer installed a worm gear. I had to retighten this after market clamp once already, and Oilhammer suggested a spring clamp which I tend to agree. I need to figure out what size to get and where, since I have the proper tools.

Last edited by JB05; November 12th, 2010 at 14:59.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 15:13   #11
andreigbs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '14 Golf DSG
Fuel Economy: 42 avg.

X2 on the zip-tie, works wonders.
Old November 13th, 2010, 15:38   #12
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Not certain on the BEW's but the ALH clamps have some sort of clasp that lends itself to being reused. They are different from the typical ones used on axle boots or fuel lines.
Had a split hose today so I snapped some pics while I had it off:

TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 19:37   #13
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/46

If this vacuum pump to brake booster hose is old and cracked could it leak oil down the back of the engine to where it gets on the dogbone mount and looks like its a rear main seal leak?

"The longer I live the more I am convinced the Beatles had the greatest single impact on western culture since Jesus Christ." - me
RedTDIowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 19:40   #14
PDJetta
Veteran Member

No. The vacuum pump applies suction (vacuum) to the hose, so no oil can come from the pump.

--Nate
Old January 9th, 2013, 19:41   #15
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/46

Darn. I was hoping I found a quick and cheap fix to my oil leak that ruined my dogbone mount.

"The longer I live the more I am convinced the Beatles had the greatest single impact on western culture since Jesus Christ." - me
RedTDIowner is offline   Reply With Quote